Original Characters in Custom Quests

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 30 October 2022 - 07:31 PM

Let's talk about original characters in custom quests. Being in Zelda, you'd expect we have enough characters from the canon that would fit well in the narratives in customs quests. But we see over time there has been numerous quests that use original characters, some using sprites from pre-existing games, others have completely new sprites. I just find it fascinating how we were able to have our own little universe with our characters we've created. Let's talk about them.

Some questions to start:

- Created any OCs yourself? Tell me more about them.

- Favorites? (Can be from any quest)

- Any more art of them?

• Shane, Jenny and PixElvis like this

#2 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 October 2022 - 08:02 PM

The best original character, of course, is Flect. She did nothing wrong.

• Anthus and Russ like this

#3 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 October 2022 - 10:04 PM

I haven't made any OCs in (finished) quests as of yet, but I plan to do so in the future!

I always appreciate when people go out of their way to do something original in ZC.

• Shane likes this

#4 PixElvis

PixElvis

Creative?

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 October 2022 - 10:29 PM

I have created my first three OCs, these are:

• Alex Handaxel (the red guy)
• Phillip Hoarfrost (the blue guy)
• Ginger Pryd'mor (the orange guy)

unknown.png

Alex: A young woodcutter who follows his father's footsteps and chosen as the Club symbol by the Queen of Hearts. He holds an axe (obviously) as the warrior of harmony and lives in a grass land Woodfields

Phillip: The archer explorer and a family member of the Hoarfrost scientists, he was chosen as the Diamod symbol. Holds bow and arrows as the archer of brilliance and lives in a frozen land Frostlands.

Ginger: He is the prince of the desert land Drygrounds, an arrogant prince who doesn't has friends until he meets the Sandusts siblings, Rick & Elise. The reason of his bad attitude it's because of his past when his mother disappeared mysteriously and he doesn't has a good relationship with his father, the king of the desert land. He was chosen as the Spade symbol, holds a whip and his role is the prince of rebellion.

My favorite characters are Gale from Rite of the StormsEli & Desio from Fragmented Worlds (Yuurand)Venser from Isle of RebirthVanise from Reikonand the main Stellar Seas protagonists Asher, Torrin & Kaylani.

I have some arts but umm... too lazy to show, lol.

Welp, that's all for now. Not telling any spoliers about my OCs' backstories further in here!  :P

Edited by ElVis002, 30 October 2022 - 10:45 PM.

• Russ, Shane and Jenny like this

#5 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 30 October 2022 - 11:29 PM

Fofoxi from Wanderlust - A game no one plays, he looks really really cool at least for me.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 31 October 2022 - 10:51 PM.

#6 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 31 October 2022 - 04:40 AM

Is Ganon canon? :)

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 October 2022 - 05:37 AM

My favorite characters are Gale from Rite of the Storms :P

:love:

Gale is my most known character, and he suffers a lot of issues that would come with someone's first serious attempt at an original character. Bland naive but heroic personality. I do think even his visuals were kind of boring. Years later I improved his design quite a bit.

unknown.png

If I ever make a quest or game with Gale again (unlikely), he definitely is going to change quite a lot. I'm far from a good writer, but I think I know what to look out for when it comes to writing a protagonist. And probably won't be writing an entire quest's worth of dialogue in a single night sleep deprived for a contest. :P

I haven't played many quests or recall many characters to be quite honest. But I recently played Joelmacool's Canaria, the Upwind March and enjoyed the protagonist's unique story and appearance (he's a boomer)

A bit of a shameless plug, but 1 Screen Gollab has several OCs. All but 3 have some unique depth to them IMO. Under all the shits and giggles are some consistent character development, some of which has continued since the first Gollab. Though not the most fleshed out! But maybe if there were to be a sequel in the distant future. . . 

• Russ likes this

#8 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 31 October 2022 - 09:15 AM

If I may chime in here:

I think it's very important people keep chiming in and making original characters.  I want my games to eventually go copyright free.  The more the better.

You noticed I put my former dog Toby into Zelda Classic recently.  He is available for people to use, though I do have restrictions for his use since he is my personal IP.  (Just contact me and be polite, and we'll talk)

And of course there's James.  I want more

It's our lifeblood.

-James

• Shane likes this

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 November 2022 - 06:20 PM

Let's talk about original characters in custom quests. Being in Zelda, you'd expect we have enough characters from the canon that would fit well in the narratives in customs quests.

I think that's the core of it, really. You say "being in Zelda", but how many quests being made recently are actually Zelda quests? Perhaps it's bias on my part, but it seems that most of the recent big quests have been Zelda-likes, but not really Zelda games. So it only makes sense that we'd have a lot of OCs.

Anyways, getting to the questions, oh boy do I have a lot of OCs. The exact number's kinda hard to count, but if we go off a metric of original characters I designed who have been playable in a finished quest, the number's in the 30s (though the number of those I personally sprited, rather than relying on Moosh or Aevin, is a lot lower). I could write about a lot of them, and perhaps I will a little later. As far as art goes, I don't actually have art of many of them (do have some cool sprites to post... later), but I do have one piece of art drawn by Ether that two of my characters feature in (albeit not the focus):
Spoiler

For favorites, most of my favorites are Aevin's characters. In particular, Eli, Flect, and Vanice (who did nothing wrong, unlike Flect) spring to mind. Also Autimecia, from Moosh. Everyone loves Autimecia.

Gale is my most known character, and he suffers a lot of issues that would come with someone's first serious attempt at an original character. Bland naive but heroic personality. I do think even his visuals were kind of boring. Years later I improved his design quite a bit.

Wanted to chime in here that I certainly don't think Gale's original design was boring, but the new design is definitely an improvement. I dig the hood.
  • Nightmare, DarkFlameSheep, Shane and 3 others like this

#10 MischeviousMalfais

MischeviousMalfais

Asparagus is awesome.

• Members

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:59 AM

While using only canon characters works perfectly fine if you want to do a simple link vs. Ganon type of plot, if you want to add any kind of complexity to it, it’s nice to at least have the freedom to add new characters if need be. Why limit yourself? 

I have a weakness for wanting to build off of and further develop things that already exist, which is why I tend to not add characters that replace the original Zelda cast, but rather add ones that compliment them. Hence we get characters with such interesting names as “Ambassador of Labrynna” and “Minister of Hyrule”

regardless, I still have a lot of OC's, so I'll try to keep this brief while also using it as an excuse to use these character portraits I made a while back. 

First, there's Georgie. The Herald of Heroes himself.

Georgie.png

Who’s obviously meant to be some type of miniature loftwing (because bird)

Not much else to say. He's kind of annoying.

And then there’s General Trenn. (because rabbit)

generaltrenn.png

Spoiler

And then there’s Roberr.

Named after a Greninja whose name I spelled wrong.

He likes ham sandwiches or something.

Roberr.png

His original sprite though XD

Roberr_sprite.jpg

I think I was unconfident in my ability to draw sprites with a mouse so I just made it look as hilarious as possible to compensate. XD

There are also some fun OC's in the Legend of Nayru, many of which use preexisting sprites or slightly altered ones. 

Like Naefoli and her hilarious band of thieves,

naenae.png

The piano-playing subrosion,

pianoplayingsubrosian.png

Spoiler

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I lacked the skills to really develop these characters (or even add sidequests!) in these games. That should hopefully change going forward as I now have the OP-ness of the dialogue branch script. :D 

My current favorite character, of course, is Callius.

Without him, the Legend of Revali simply wouldn’t be a thing.

Callius.png

He’s a noodle. Need I say more?

Honestly, I think I need to play more games on here. I’ve heard great things about a lot of quests, but never seem to get around to playing them myself. Guess my preference is to just make a game once every four years and then disappear again euehuehuehue--

• Russ, Shane, Jenny and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users