Photo

A Soundtrack Fit for a Zelda Quest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: A Fitting Zelda Quest Soundtrack

In a Zelda quest, the music can only include...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Aquamentus (Facing Right)

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 08 September 2022 - 03:59 AM

(I hope my poll setup isn't confusing...)

The question: If a quest takes place in Hyrule/the Zelda universe, what tracks fit in the soundtrack for the quest?

This is a multiple-choice poll. Note that response #5 is an option to append to #2, #3, and/or #4.

(E.g., the quest can use a track from Pokemon, but not an iconic, memorable, "standout" theme like the battle music.)

I remember as a young lad watching a let's play of a quest and hearing a Pokemon track during a boss battle and thinking, "What the-- This is a Zelda adventure, why is Pokemon music playing?!"

Maybe you have more unique or specific responses. Perhaps, for instance, you feel Non-Zelda music is allowed, but only in dungeons/levels, while the overworld area should play a classic Zelda theme.

This is a topic I've had on the back of my mind (and in my ZC notes) for three years now, and I'm curious to hear the community's opinions on it. Of course, this is all highly subjective and quest creators are allowed to include whatever music fits their vision of their project. Still, I thought it might be a fun discussion and I wanted to hear what both designers and players (mostly players) find "appropriate" to hear in the world of Zelda.

Edited by Aquamentus (Facing Right), 08 September 2022 - 04:08 AM.

#2 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:04 PM

Why limit yourself?

I'm not generally a fan of vocals, especially English vocals, and I err on the side of not recommending tracks from small scale fan projects unless they're either remixes, or clearly licensed to allow it. (I have some songs from the soundtrack of the Homestuck fan adventure Hexane that I love to listen to on my own time, but I wouldn't recommend them for ZC quests...it just feels like punching down. This applies only to fan adventures, mind you, not to be confused with the fan albums which are totally different. Those are fair game, the big ones are Creative Commons, and they're fucking great.)

Aside from that, go wild. Dig as deep as you can.

#3 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:19 PM

Depending on what I want to do, I usually limit myself to video game music and midi arrangements thereof. Sometimes I write my own cheesy chiptunes though. A lot of fun to be had coming up with music.

#4 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:26 PM

Whatever fits! Especially original compositions :)

/shameless plug

Source of the Flow

Tezzek Tower

Dark Day (ooh, I need to update this one...)

Edited by Colin, 08 September 2022 - 07:30 PM.

#5 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:58 PM

No limits. Don't compromise your own art! People should be bold with their music choices.

Use copyrighted shit if you want! Who cares! You probably already are in some form anyway!

Write a goddamn avant garde spoke word album to use as your game's soundtrack!

Make it all fucking deathcore songs you ripped off Youtube!

it does kinda bug me though when a quest that's trying to take itself very seriously is using music that's obviously way too high quality to match the retro visual aesthetic

• Taco Chopper and Sheik like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users