• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:58 PM

For the longest time, I always considered myself as someone who didn't really have their own "taste" in music. I grew up around a lot of it, sure, but I went quite a bit of time without really listening to it on my own, or seeking out new music to listen to. If you asked me at one point what my favorite genre/band/artist was, I probably wouldn't have had an immediate answer.

Recently though, I've been listening to all kinds of new music, and I can confidently answer the question above.  :P

Some of my current favorite artists include: Haley Reinhart, Steam Powered Giraffe and Ariana Grande, along with many others.

What about yous? What type of music do you like?

• Magi_Hero, Anthus, Eddy and 1 other like this

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:21 PM

I like Hardstyle / EDM music.  I got into the Melbourne Shuffle scene a decade ago and haven't looked back since.  They can get kind of badass in how creative they get.

I'm a fan of the more "dire" or emotive songs, apparently.  Didn't think I would be.  I'm not really loyal to any band in particular, but Eluveitie seems to hit it out of the park

Video game rock is also tons of fun!  Bad Apple is always nice to listen to.

• Magi_Hero and Jenny like this

#3 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

Hardcore, metal, punk and ska.

Sometimes electronic or video game music.
  • Anthus and Jenny like this

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

Same, Buddy. Never really seeked out music much. As for what type I like the most, it's very varied. There's no preference in genre. Absolutely dislike rap, metal and rock though. Lo-Fi is the best to listen to in the background, especially when I'm programming.

I love the music of AURORA, Billie Eilish and uhh, can't name any others really since I don't seek out music.

A lot of games have awesome music. I listen to VGM way more than "real" music.

Edited by Avaro, 21 June 2020 - 06:57 PM.

• Magi_Hero and Jenny like this

#5 Hari

Hari

Snivy Gang

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:55 PM

I didn't really have a "taste" in music for a while, but in the past year, I've been listening more closely to various video game OSTs, along with finding the OSTs containing songs that I had heard in ZC quests. Through that, I've been starting to form my own "taste" in music.

I've found that I like instrumental music, specifically electronic, hard rock, prog rock, and soft metal. Songs that have a good electric guitar or synth melody I will probably like. I do like songs with vocals too though, lol. I think it's cool when video game OSTs have good vocals, especially since such songs usually have fairly unique words to them due to being in a video game.

My favorite OST ever atm is the Calamity Mod OST, composed by DM Dokuro (I really like his music in general. You can find him on YouTube or Soundcloud). That one has all the genres listed above, and what I really like about the OST is that it has a variety of unique sounding songs, and the melodies are written really well. Also has a lot of cool sounding electric guitar parts, which is something that I really like to hear in a song. I'd list a favorite song from this OST, but literally all of them are amazing imo (which is why it's my favorite OST ever, lol).

Last week I decided to listen to the Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia OST, which I think is now my second favorite OST (favorite songs from that OST being "Sorrow's Distortion" and "RIDDLE"). Many of the songs have this combination of synth (specifically synths that sound like a higher quality version of synths from 8 bit consoles), electric guitar, and bass that sounds really cool imo. I actually would like to use a similar style when I go to compose the OST for my indie game that I've been working on some here recently (probably going to be a while before I start composing the OST, but I think that this style is going to be a fun one to compose songs in).

Some other OSTs I like are Persona 5, the Pokemon games in general (especially Gen 5), the Castlevania games in general, Lost Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, and many more than that.

Kinda a long winded post, but that's what my taste in music is. ^w^

(I really like the sound of electric guitar, lol. May or may not be related to me being a guitar player. >w<)

(Also, I currently have a 56 hour playlist of video game OST that I've been building up the past year, and it keeps growing. xd)

• Magi_Hero, Rambly and Anthus like this

#6 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:09 PM

I'm very much into rock music.

I like bands like Shinedown, Theory of a Deadman and Godsmack.

But I'm also into older rock like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and Queen.

Then I also like things like Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, Avril Lavigne and The Used.
  • Magi_Hero and Anthus like this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:19 PM

This is kind of hard to answer without getting super specific, but I pretty much like anything that isn't overly annoying? I listen to a lot of contemporary music, and older stuff too, mostly rock/ pop influenced, and a lot of video game music. I like remixes, and electronic stuff, but I also like Miles Davis, so go figure.

• Magi_Hero likes this

#8 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:20 PM

Both kinds:  Country AND Western

But to be more serious...

Classic Rock, Punk Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge, 90s Alternative Rock, Ska, Glam Rock, New Wave, Synthpop, and occasional music from other areas

Quite a list, considering how music can be categorized, subcategorized, and often overlap with each other.

#9 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:06 PM

I'm actually a huge music guy, I'm into lots of indie, alternative, art rock, post punk, shoegaze, dream pop, stuff like that. I've been playing guitar for 11 years and am currently in a band as well.

• Magi_Hero, Rambly, Anthus and 2 others like this

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:20 AM

Mostly just video game music, chiptune, heavy metal, and symphonic metal.

Or, you know, the overlap in between:

Edited by Mani Kanina, 22 June 2020 - 12:26 AM.

• Magi_Hero, Anthus and Hari like this

#11 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:36 AM

I listen to a variety of videogame music from across every generation. JRPGs and Nintendo games have especially good music.

I also listen to MIDIs quite often while working on quests in Zelda Classic and even have many of them on my phone just for the heck of it. It's not like they even take up that much space.

For bands, I gravitate primarily towards metal. Particularly power metal, symphonic metal, and Gothic metal, many of which are primarily European in nationality.

Bands like After Forever, Angra, Aquaria, Avantasia, Blind Guardian, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Edguy, Eluveitie, Epica, Gamma Ray, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Helloween, Hollenthon, Kamelot, Nightwish, Pyramaze, Rhapsody of Fire, Sirenia, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Theatre of Tragedy, Theocracy, Therion, Tristania, Twilight Force, Wintersun, Within Temptation, and Xandria to name a few.

I also really like the more traditional metal bands like Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Queensryche, and the likes. Also like modern metal and rock bands, like Demon Hunter, Disciple, Family Force 5, Flyleaf, Mastodon, Rammstein, Skillet, System of a Down, Thousand Foot Krutch. I even like bands like Evanescence and Linkin Park, despite them being memed to death at this point.

• Peteo, Magi_Hero and Anthus like this

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:10 AM

I'm very big on video game OSTs and EDM, but I'm generally cool with pretty much any other genre (with the exception of most dubstep and rap).

Three favourite artists of mine that come to mind right now are Creo, F-777 (aka Jesse Valentine) and EnV. Godly music coming from them IMO, especially from Creo :P

• Magi_Hero likes this

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

F-777

This is familiar. Where have I heard this guy before? ...Oh!

I used this one in Link's Quest for Canda. Now there's a blast from the past...

Anyways, I don't think there's any theme to what I listen to most aside from generally loud and in your face VGM. Boss themes, final areas, just generally whatever's the hypest. Funnily I sometimes struggle picking quiet area themes in quests because of running into an issue of "Well what do I know?" I don't listen to nearly as much traditional music, but when I do I don't tend to go down the rabbit hole listening to entire albums like some do, rather just put on whatever's on Youtube recommended most of the time. The laziest approach to finding music. I tend to go through phases on a vaguely yearly cycle instead of picking a handful of consistent favorite artists. Like one year I listened to a lot of David Bowie, another it was Depeche Mode, this year's theme so far seems to be Tool. Surely there's no thematic reason 2020 would be the year of Tool. :P

• Magi_Hero, Anthus and Eddy like this

#14 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

I don't have a specific taste in music, and so I enjoy practically all forms of music. Of the range of genres I listen to are: Classical, Rock, EDM, Swing, R&B, Indie and Pop (though, the only thing I failed to enjoy listening to would have to be death/heavy metal).

Of course I still have favourite songs, and the two that pop into my head as of right now are: Hey Ya! by OutKast and Run by Joji.

• Magi_Hero, Rambly and Anthus like this

#15 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

Guess I'm one of the few people who listens to mostly Classical music here. Which is fine :P. I have very broad tastes within the Classical umbrella, but I won't bog down my reply with too many specifics. I'll leave it at enjoying stuff from the majority of Classical stuff, all the way from the 1500s to the 2000s. Which is also why I write my own music.

Outside of that, though, I've been slowly trying to broaden my horizons. I've always loved Video Game OSTs (a good few of them probably fall under 'classical' in any case), especially chiptune stuff - part of why I've bothered to get acquainted with Famitracker at all. I also generally prefer instrumental stuff - prog rock and such (Mike Oldfield is pretty fantastic). Been getting into Jazz a little as well - recently discovered (well, for myself at least) some great Japanese Jazz Fusion stuff, Casiopea being one of the standouts.

But yeah, while I prefer instrumentals, there're some songs that I do just really like, even in genres I'm not a fan of. Generally if they're involved in something else I do really enjoy it'll help. For example, Melodies of Life from FF9 is in a genre I usually can't bring myself to listen to, but because I associate it with a great game, it just does it for me. And there are less obvious examples too - I'm a fan of Queen, for example.

Not big into pop, personally (at least the stuff on the radio), but I don't hate it, for the most part.

tl;dr: Classical's my real jam, but really there's a lot of other stuff I enjoy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users