Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

So the genius behind Castlevania: Symphony of the Night announced that he's developing a 2.5D "Igavania"-style game called "Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night." It didn't take long for the $500,000 to be fully crowdfunded, either.

Thoughts?

Edited by HavoX, 11 May 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

I backed the hell out of this game the moment I saw it. I am a rabid, raving, avid (Take your pick) fan of all of his contributions to the Metroidvania genre, which is uncoincidentally also my favorite genre of video gaming.

This will probably be the one game that if it hits a snag, I will be sorely disappointed. ... and this is coming from a person who backed Underworld Ascendant for $500.

#3 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

I think it will do fine, lol.  Always way past the initial goal, and still going~  Metroidvania is awesome.  It's initially the foundation that defined Zelda, actually, since Zelda was found on the basis of exploration.  The game incorporated tools necessary to navigate some spots too, and that's exactly what the metroidvania genre encompasses.  It's be weird to like Zelda, but not like Metroidvania.  I just hope there's more open to exploration right away, instead of small blocks at a time, lol.

Edited by Koh, 11 May 2015 - 08:46 PM.

• Deedee likes this

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

It's weird to like Zelda, but not like Metroidvania.

Not really. Zelda games and Metroidvanias play vastly different, regardless of similar "explore to find stuff" philosophies. Some people just don't prefer the side-scrolling action platformer style (also why many Zelda fans don't like Zelda II), some people don't care much for the overhead/behind-the-back adventure game style, some like both, some like neither. Besides, Metroidvanias utilize a lot of platforming, and being an action platformer that puts it in a completely different genre than adventure games; the adventure games can have some mild platforming, but it doesn't dominate the gameplay style.

Anyway, I'm excited to see that Igarashi's getting to get out and work on this game, a game he wants to make, instead of having to sit at Konami and watch the series fester. Gee, this sounds like a familiar scenario... Anyway, admittedly I'd be more interested if it was more in the linear style, but that's okay, there are plenty of fans who prefer the Metroidvania style.

#5 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:28 PM

I'd only be for the linear style if the controls weren't stiff and awkward, and like Super Castlevania IV.  All the game needed was to be designed around such fluid and perfect control, but since it was based on the old clunky controls, it seemed easy.  The clunky controls can die with Lords of Shadow =x.

Edited by Koh, 11 May 2015 - 11:29 PM.

#6 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

Good grief, this thread hasn't been given any love? For shame. bah.gif

Bloodstained has now become the most successfully funded Kickstarter game of all time. At the time I made this post, around $5.5m has been funded!

And if that isn't enough... yes, it will be released on the Wii U and the Playstation Vita! (No 3DS version, sadly.)

Welp... consider myself hyped.

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

And a graph, so you can see just how much ass the game kicked.

http://i.imgur.com/19nEfuZ.png

19nEfuZ.png

Not only did Konami lose Hideo Kojima, now thy're losing their Castlevania fans, lol.

• HavoX likes this

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:49 PM

It's merely a teaser of gameplay footage, and the game's still in development. But it looks so good, sounds amazing, this is truly the 2.5D Castlevania we were waiting for. I'm really excited.

It's also telling when something as simple as this looks better than any Mighty No. 9 trailer ever.

• Shane likes this

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

Looking good!  And the music is SO Castlevania~

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

No gameplay sound or anything, but:

All of this here makes me happy. It's Castlevania. It's back. It has a new name, but it's the series we love. Welcome back.

Okay so they could maybe afford to speed up the "Level Up" notification a bit.

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

The level up screen is pretty fast, they can't make it much faster without making it a simple text prompt. Shard collection is lengthier but even that is also pretty quick.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

It could just be me, but it struck me as being slower than the other Castlevania games, with possible exception of Symphony of the Night.

#13 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

It could just be me, but it struck me as being slower than the other Castlevania games, with possible exception of Symphony of the Night.

Don't worry, we just need to find that one combination of moves that makes you go way faster than intended :P

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

Not the movement, just the "level up" prompt. Movement seems fine.

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

Don't worry, we just need to find that one combination of moves that makes you go way faster than intended :P

Classic Castlevania:  The fastest way to move is always the silliest looking.

Symphony of the Night:  Alucard Broom

Aria of Sorrow Julius Mode:  URE!

Portrait of Ruin:  Jonathan Pogostick

Order of Ecclesia Albus Mode:  You can't hit me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users