Broadband and Firefox?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#16 August Yifu

August Yifu

Magus

• Banned

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:01 PM

I keep getting "unable to connect" errors from my forum board. Must be running too slow or something.

#17 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:12 AM

I tried it on dial-up... it doesn't change anything. From what I can tell, this is pretty much setting up boundaries of the browser. Most likely, dial-up users never hit those boundaries, so they wouldn't be benefited or hurt from removing them. icon_wink.gif

#18 Renoki

Renoki

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

you should try Opera! its good and its clean, also has good colors
Opera

its also fast

#19 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:42 AM

Opera can do two out of three of those things. I'm not sure what the pipelining is about. Anyway, as for the others:

2. Hmm... I'm not finding the option in Opera 8. Back in Opera 7, you could set how quickly it draws the page. Oh well.

3. Go to the "Network" portion of the preferences (under the "Advanced") tab in Opera 8. You can set the max connections to a server and the max total connections.

Opera 9 will introduce the opera:config page, which will, like the Firefox about:config, let you change everything. However, unlike about:config, opera:config has some effort put into the interface design so that it is more intuitive.

#20 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(Wild Bill @ Jan 4 2006, 10:42 AM)
Opera 9 will introduce the opera:config page, which will, like the Firefox about:config, let you change everything.  However, unlike about:config, opera:config has some effort put into the interface design so that it is more intuitive.

View Post

That, I'm SOOO going to enjoy.

#21 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

Firefox is on the school laptops, I currently downloaded Opera on 3 computers so far, downloaded a freestyle skin.
*Personal Favorite which I currently use, in a blue theme*

Set the home page to Google and ... alot of people use it over Firefox, let the conversion commence.

#22 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:16 PM

Let's not turn this into a debate/conversion thread here people. Everyone has preferences to one or the other browser. The only people I advocate trying to convert are IE users. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, setting the request number from 4 to 10 seems sufficient to me. I couldn't tell a difference between 10 requests and 30, at least. Plus I've heard that the request limit has a hard-coded maximum number anyway, which is still higher than the default amount. Just, even if you set the number to something like 10000, it's only going to request data a certain number of times, and I can assure you it's not 10k. icon_razz.gif

#23 Deviance

Deviance

Le' Deviant

• Members

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

Well to make things easier. You can get an extension on mozilla's site. It's called fasterfox. It sets the options for you ^_^

#24 Deepfreeze

Deepfreeze

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

I have to say it's doubtful. rather than loading four images slowly, I would be loading 20 images super-slowly... but I'll try it next time I'm at my mom's house (and thus on 56k), but I doubt it will prove beneficial.

EDIT: looks like somebody already tried that. this topic moves too fast. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Deepfreeze, 21 April 2006 - 10:08 PM.

#25 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

Wow! This is sooo much faster. I'll have to do this at home too! Thaks Noir! Awesomeness! icon_biggrin.gif

#26 halper

halper

Initiate

• Members

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:33 AM

Thanks, this is great! But how did you know?

#27 Guest_James4 (Guest)

Guest_James4 (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

Sweet.

#28 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Members

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

thats sick! but is there a way to do this with sbc yahoo dsl with fire fox?

#29 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:51 AM

uh, there are sies out there not compatible with pipelining icon_wink.gif just letting you guys know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users