Photo

Thunderstorms

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Thunderstorms

Do you enjoy thunderstorms?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

Do you enjoy thunderstorms? Or do they freak you out?

I personally love them. That is, from the comfort of a window, or covered porch. It is not fun being caught out in rain, or worse, lightning, if there isn't much else around. The idea of being out at sea, or even on a large lake during a thunderstorm utterly terrifies me though. It's a situation I'd like to avoid at all costs :P. It's been storming here like all day, so hey, let's talk about it.

• Lüt likes this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

I love 'em too. The sounds of thunder and rain are just really nice to me. I don't like that they might make my internet go to shit or worse, make my power go out but aside from that, I personally would like them to happen more just for the sake of listening to them. It's why I love winter since we get a lot of rain instead of snow. :P

But yeah, wouldn't enjoy it if I was outside in the middle of a storm, etc. But from the comfort of my home, they're really nice and are perfect to sleep to.

• Anthus likes this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:58 AM

I figured the co-creator of "Rite of the Storm" might like storms :P.

As far as sleeping to them, yes, I can agree 100%. I am one of those people who likes there to be ambient noise when I'm sleeping. Not a TV, or people talking etc, but a storm, or crackling fire, or even just wind through a forest are nice. I have an app for my phone that plays various soundscapes. I don't use it every night, but once in a while, it's nice to pick a "song" and fall asleep to it. Nothing beats the surround sound experience of real rain, and wind against the roof though. It's summer here, and where I live, we usually get a lot of storms in the summer. Sometimes they get intense, but nothing like a hurricane. At worst, some tree branches might fall, or the streets might flood with about 6 inches of water, but it's not too crazy.

Oh, and power outages suck. Nothing has me saving my work on my computer more repetitively than a good ol' storm.

• ShadowTiger, Shane and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:12 AM

I enjoy them. We don't get that many up in the northwest, and when we do they're usually pretty tame affairs, but about once a year we'll get a really big one that usually gets caught in the mountains just east of here, and the lightning at night will light up the entire sky as if it were day. Those are tons of fun.

I also just like how high up into the sky thunderclouds reach. I bet you totally couldn't guess this about me from my quests, but I tend to enjoy cool cloud formations and stuff reaching increasingly higher towards the heavens. :P
  • Anthus likes this

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:32 AM

I enjoy them as long as they don't knock out my power/internet. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't completely hate walking in rain.

• ShadowTiger and Lüt like this

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:39 AM

They're usually just cool, but the really big ones are deafening and those are scary.

#7 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

I enjoy them as long as they don't knock out my power/internet.

^ This.

So much better than a generic sunny day. I love watching them from inside, or driving through them. Just not going out in them.

"So close, yet so far."

• ShadowTiger likes this

#8 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:45 AM

I don't like rain or thunderstorms, not because they're scary, I'm just sick of rain, it rains here in the Northwest almost every day that is not summer. Thankfully it's Summer, so I don't have to experience it for like two more months. Not so sure about thunderstorms, there hasn't been one in a while here. But I'd probably won't like being around it.

That being said, I like how rain and thunderstorms look, they add good and dramatic scenes. But I wouldn't want to be near it.

#9 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:08 AM

Mostly depends for me. I used to be really terrified of thunderstorms when I was younger, and sometimes I still get startled by them. Though if I'm at home or whatever and I'm just listening to the ambiance of the storms or just watching the flashes, then it's pretty cool... until the TV signal dies or the power goes rip. Other than that, I'm not too much of a fan outside since I'm generally covered in rain when there's a thunderstorm and I absolutely hate it. I've had enough of that from living in London where it rains so often, so I just would prefer some nice, hot, sunny weather.

So I dunno what I would go for in the poll, probably the last option since I like them or hate them in different conditions lol.

• Anthus likes this

#10 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

I'm just sick of rain, it rains here in the Northwest almost every day that is not summer. Thankfully it's Summer, so I don't have to experience it for like two more months.

Well, aren't you lucky? Here in Scotland it rains at least once a week, if we're lucky. So don't parade your good luck around on everyone else.
(Joking, of course. About my anger, not about the rain.)

Anyway, I just love thunderstorms. Haven't experienced one in a long time up here, though.
And I've just remembered something related to the power outages; my mum always told me that thunderstorms could destroy electronic devices if you left them on during a thunderstorms, cos the lighting would go through the wiring or something. Don't know how accurate that is (or was in the country she was born and lived in her childhood, which I won't tell here because I'm still a little paranoid of the internet).
In any case, for younger me, that meant no computer games, and just watching as the thunderstorm went away, which led to no feelings in particular except "that looks cool" and "can't wait for this to finish so I can turn back on the computer and play my game again". Not a particular dislike for the thunderstorms, just a love of computer games (which is what I called them back then).
And, back to now, thunderstorms are just such a rare treat them that I do love them.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#11 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

I like both rain and the thunderstorms, thunders are really great, more at night that in the day.

i love walk under the the rain too, whit the umbrella, but only if there no strong wind

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Thunderstorms. <3

I love walking in the rain.  Even the pouring rain, if I don't have to be presentable for a few hours.  Let it turn into a raging river.  I will wade into it with righteous fervor with the eternal fury of an eggshell-blue tugboat.

Everyone's already given their tributes to thunderstorms, so what can I add to it?  The sound of the rain is a calming bouquet of tranquility to bless the day.  An occasional sky-splitting bolt of lightning harmlessly striking a blade of grass or an unfortunate beetle. All are wondrous things.

Even when there's more thunder than not, it's a wonderful, amazing thing.  It's a rarity of nature, regardless of what dangers lurk in it.  My friend used to love storms like that until his own roof got hit by lightning and burned his house down.  Now he fears them greatly, knowing their dangerous potential.  I still don't mind.  A rarity is a rarity no matter the case, so...

#13 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

Nope. They scare me, and I hate rain in general. No thanks!

• Anthus likes this

#14 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

I'm just used to them. Where I live, it storms almost every day at this time of the year.

#15 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

raaaaaaaaaaain <3 oh god, i see people talking about hating how it rains every day where they live and i'm like, envious.  it doesn't rain nearly enough here...

thunderstorms are good too; i looove the sound of thunder, especially when it's deep and rumbly.  it's like the main thing i miss about living in the midwest... the air is thin here so thunder doesn't even sound the same; it sounds crackly and weird.

i don't really like super severe thunderstorms but only cuz i have really bad anxiety about tornadoes and even then if there's no risk of tornadoes i honestly don't mind

• ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users