Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

So Microsoft has announced that Windoze* Windows 10 will be available worldwide on July 29. It will also be available as a free upgrade for genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. Windows XP/Vista users, on the other hand, are SOL.

I doubt that the majority of Windows 7 users will upgrade, but I'm curious anyway... who's planning to upgrade? Since I'm running 8.1, I'm going to do it right away when it comes out. EDIT: you know what, screw it. I'm going to stay with 8.1.

*(Yes, I intentionally misspelled Windows there, just for the sake of comedy.)

Edited by HavoX, 19 August 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#2 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

I use Windows 7 and didn't upgrade, windows 8 sucks in my opinion compared to 7. I don't know about 10, but I'll wait till other people try it out.

My bro has windows 8 on his laptop and it is painfully unreliable kind of like Windows Vista/Windows ME.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 01 June 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#3 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:19 AM

I'm not upgrading sadly. But I'n going to let my mother take my windows 8 and get the free upgrade to 10. She needs the upgrade more then me. Though once it comes onto disk on the retail market I'll buy it I guess to add to my collection.

#4 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

I'll have to do my research and get plenty of educated opinions about Windows 10, if that's possible, pretty much.  The fact that it's free if a copy is claimed soon enough is enough to engage my curiosity about it, at least.  I currently have Windows 7, and had no plans to ever upgrade to Windows 8.  I have tried Windows 8 from computers where I work, and I was never a fan of it.  But Windows 10 they say will try to be a product that takes more into consideration customer feedback, where Windows 8 seems mostly geared toward the touchscreen users.  But as many know, what is said and what is done are not necessarily the same thing.

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#5 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

Windows 7 was great, but 8 sucked like hell. I wonder how 10 is gonna be.

Edited by ZeldaPlayer, 01 June 2015 - 02:09 PM.

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#6 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

8 would cause my computer to crash when almost nothing is running

#7 vaualbus

vaualbus

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

Windows 10 is very great, also zc run very very I'm using it to play and never found a crash.

#8 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

I'm skeptical of Windows 10. I don't have a computer on which I can test it out, and I was severely disappointed with 8. I was still using XP until a couple months ago, so I'm more than happy to stick with Windows 7 as long as I need to. My main computer runs Linux at this point anyway.

#9 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:39 AM

I'm just gonna get the Hololens no plans on Windows 10 if I can help it. Plus I'm getting a new PC in late autumn anyways.

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should've been, I was using the technical previews of Windows 10 for a while but have stopped lately as the beta versions were a bit buggy/clearly still a work in progress.

#11 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should've been, I was using the technical previews of Windows 10 for a while but have stopped lately as the beta versions were a bit buggy/clearly still a work in progress.

That's good to hear. What's your favorite upgrade or new feature?

#12 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

That's how Windows works. Windows 10 is what Win 8 should have been, Win 7 is was what Vista should have been. Every other version of Windows sucks, then they release a version that's basically a corrected version of their last sucky OS. Windows 11 will be shit, Windows 12 will be good.

#13 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

I still use Windows 7, and it took forever for me to update from Vista. The changes took a bit of time to get used to, but after a while I came to like using it. The exchange student at our house bought a laptop with Windows 8 on it, and asked me to act as an IT guy, setting it up with things such as the antivirus and tweaking settings so that he can use it easily, like getting the locale on it set for Chinese. From what I've dealt with, Windows 8 is a massive pain in the ass until you tweak everything properly. After doing so, it's still a pain in the ass, but less so. When a completely computer-illiterate twit puts in enough work to figure out how to install a third party Start Menu add-on without assistance, just to get around the issues with Windows 8, that really says something.

From what I've heard about Windows 10, my main complaints with 8 seem to be fixed, such as the Start Menu being brought back. The fact that it can run Windows apps is a plus, as there are a couple games that I'd like to try that I'd only be able to play in such a way, and the exchange student I mentioned showed me a neat free anime-streaming app that I can see myself using. The issues from 8 that I can imagine would stay are ones that I've already figured out how to undo, such as the touch-screen swipes to bring up new menus, which made me open new menus by accident when I only meant to scroll to a button to click on.

Anyways, long story short, I plan on signing up for the upgrade when it becomes available. Apparently, my computer already downloaded the update with the sign-in pop-up, but for some reason it hasn't triggered yet and I can't get it to do so manually. Still, the sites that I typically go on should let me know when it goes live, so if I can't opt for the early sign-in, I'll just go for a day-1 download if possible. Besides, from what I've heard, ZC still runs on it, so what have I got to lose? (other than possible loss of RPG Maker 2k3 support, but I haven't done much with that yet besides casual playing with settings. I'm trying to replicate Superstar Saga features with it, with surprisingly positive success so far. I'm using the old unofficial translation though, so I might lose support on upgrading.)

Edited by kurt91, 02 June 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#14 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

I'm planning on upgrading my Windows 8 partition because I'm sure anything is better than that overglorified piece of crap tablet interface. I don't even use Windows that often- that's how much I hate the Win8 interface.

#15 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

My laptop has Windows 8, and I don't use it because I just can't stand it.  So I am hoping that when I upgrade my laptop, I will start using it.  My desktop has Windows 7, so I will test it out on my laptop before I switch that over. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users