Gigabytes terabytes

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Just added a another 500GB Hard drive to my computer and now I have two of them... But what in world would someone need that much space on a computer... heck I'm trying its baffling to think of what I could store, I guess I can install a ton of games now.

Or store a ton of videos and music... gee wiz what am I to do with so much space. xD

Really though I can hardly fathom the idea of filling these drives, do any of you have huge hard drives if so what do you so with all that space?

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Videos (mostly from recording), pictures, video games mainly. I need to invest in an external hard drive mostly for the recorded footage, since it takes up a lot of room; usually I just save the raw footage and the project footage since the raw is smaller than the edited video, but it stacks up, and older footage I have is much larger in file size, so that tends to take up a lot of room.

#3 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Pretty much everything TS said is what I have to say, plus the fact that now you no longer have to worry about Wasting space for an incredibly long time. Seriously, this computer only has 40 GB of space.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

TV shows too, I forgot to mention.

#5 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, recorded videos take up a lot of room. Some of my videos right now are taking up about 40GB of space, and the video is only about 20 minutes long. xD

I don't have that much space on my computer though; it has flash memory, so having more of that is much more expensive then the same amount of storage but of the hard drive variety.

#6 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

I don't know what I'd do with all that hard drive to be honest. My laptop only has 286GB of hard drive and I still have 207GB left. I'd probably get a ton of pictures or get a lot of my video YouTube videos (outside of copyrighted ones). What's weird is I have almost 13 hours of raw footage from my Let's Plays and they only take up 2.35 GB combined. Just wondering Davi, what file format are your videos? Mine are in MP4 format.

Back when I had my old laptop before it died on me, it had a 60 GB hard drive and I never got close to filling that thing. I couldn't imagine needing more than 500GB maximum, let alone 2TB or more.

#7 watomsk

watomsk

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

I find myself in the same situation. I have about 800GB of space that I'm never going to fill. I usually watch my shows on video streaming sites, don't really listen to music, so I rarely download anything big. I've also gotten into the habit of deleting my games as soon as I finish them, since I'm not used to having this much space, I'm still under the mentality that I need to delete anything that takes up too much space.

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

I don't really want to encourage pirating (because it's illegal). But that's pretty much what it's all About. Hard drive manufacturers know it, exploit it, and make mint off the amount of hard drive space that the compulsive habit of pirating demands. 500 gb is easy to fill up when you start storing high definition movies on them.

But again, I'm not encouraging that kind of habit. Neither am I saying this is the only use for large hard drives, but it sure popularized them.

#9 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Movies mostly.  Anime takes up a lot of space if you keep full seasons (Fist of the North Star was somewhere around 20 GB.)

I also store orchestral music samples on my hard drive, of which total to about 300 GB (high quality samples, man...)

#10 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

Movies, games, and music. Those are the big 3 when it comes to personal hard drive usage, at least as far as I've seen. Pretty much everything else you'll need would fit quite comfortably into a 500GB HD.

#11 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

I have filled most of my 1TB disk with Steam games, and a backup of my OS installation. That's pretty much what I use the space for; my SSD is my main boot drive and where I install games that I want to load very quickly, but games that don't really have loading times work just fine when run from my rotational disk. 

#12 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

I have filled most of my 1TB disk with Steam games

Yeah........................the curse of Valve is on me too.

I also save a lot of resources for modeling though - Textures, video tutorials, various alpha models, etc. Unfortunately such resources add up quickly :(

#13 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

Music man. Lossless music, vinyl recordings, mixes, samples, dubs, redubs, mp3s of said dubs, wavs I forgot to delete, plugins, programs, the list goes on and on.

#14 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Video games mostly. Half hour video clips are around 300MB and hour long clips are around 600 to 700MB while games are often multiple gigabytes.

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I never go over half full of my 1 TB harddrive, and I do record and download videos, as well as video game music.  The thing is, once the video is uploaded, I delete the recorded file; it's no longer necessary to hold onto it once it's been uploaded.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users