Final Fantasy 7 on Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

Ok well I'll have to check that out then. We used to have a computer with XP and I liked it ok(except for the fact that I couldn't get ZC to run on it icon_unsettled.gif ) The question is I just looked on Mircrosoft's site. They sell the full version for around $200 and the upgrade version for just about half that. The upgrade version would upgrade any windows to XP if you meet the requirements right? Or just the one before XP?

#17 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

No the upgrade version just means it has SP2 on it. You can upgrade from a previous OS with either one. I recommend getting the upgrade version, though. You couldn't get ZC to run on XP? That's weird.
There is a thread somewhere around here that is a troubleshoot for that type of problem, because that isn't supposed to happen.

#18 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:00 AM

All right thanks for the help I think I'll see about ordering XP off there site sometime in the next week or so and upgrade.

#19 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Yep anytime icon_smile.gif

#20 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

Actually, even though you've already decided to upgrade, I just wanted to say: You can have up to 4 bootable partitions (that is, "primary" partitions) and an unlimited number of non-bootable (beyond "primary", it is known as "extended") partitions. Just thought I'd put that out there.

#21 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

Well I still might want to add another OS so that is helpful. Does anyone know how I would go about creating another partition. I thought I had to reformat myself but I've been told I don't need to. So how would I do it if I wanted to add another?

#22 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

The ways I know of are when you boot with the OS's cd, you make a new partition, or do it with DOS. Otherwise I don't know.

#23 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

So what you're saying is when I boot with the cd of the OS I want to add I have the option to add a partition for it? I might try it out. Thanks for the help.

Edited by KHRiku, 18 April 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#24 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, when installing XP, it asks you if you want to make a new partition. BUT. If you don't want to lose any files, you simply insert the CD while booted into Windows 2000.

#25 trucky5

trucky5

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, that way it just upgrades the OS without adding a new partition and still keeps all of your files.

#26 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Oh I see...Well I think I should have the money to buy XP in two days so thanks for your help. Now does XP have compatibility for older programs or should I install 98 on another partition so I won't have to worry about it?

Because this whole topic started because of a compatibility issue and from what I gather XP is like a major upgrade to 2000.

In fact here's another question why not just put 98se on one partition and stick to using Ubuntu for everything else. The way I see it XP doesn't really do anything I need it to that Ubuntu can't. And that way I would save my money for something else. As long as I've been using Ubuntu for now anyways I more used to it than I am Windows.
There shouldn't be any problems trying to do that would there?

Edited by KHRiku, 19 April 2008 - 12:12 PM.

#27 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

I don't foresee any difficulties....In fact, Ubuntu comes with a partitioner that you could use, though if that doesn't work, I know for a fact Knoppix (another distribution of Linux) has a partitioner as well, this one suitable for any operation your heart desires (called QTParted, I think).

#28 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

About that how do I use Ubuntu partitioner? I don't know where to find it at or what its called. I know it was used to create a partition for windows 2000 but I didn't do it...

#29 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

Well, in order to use the partitioner, you'll have to start the install process. Unfortunately, it won't write the partition changes unless you install it. Generally, it's recommended that you install Windows first, because sometimes Windows isn't the best a detecting partitions, so it may accidentally write over your newly installed Ubuntu. So, I'd recommend getting Knoppix. It's live-cd only, so there's no need to install anything on the HD, it'll do everything using your optical drive and RAM. Use Knoppix to partition the way you want it. Then install Windows, followed by Ubuntu.

http://www.knopper.n...s/index-en.html (this is where you download Knoppix from)

Please note that I have no experience with using Knoppix, QTParted, or in executing the partition configuration you are suggesting. Therefore, I would suggest you get a friend to help you. And do remember to back up all critical data.

#30 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

But say I've got Ubuntu and 2000. I want Ubuntu my main OS and 98se for old games and that's it. Do I need to wipe everything and install 98se and THEN install Ubuntu or can I just replace 2000 and keep Ubuntu?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users