• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#16 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

I don't think I really dislike any of the Mega Man series.  I've found them all really fun, from Classic to Legends to Battle Network.  To me, it's sort of like the way I can appreciate the old-school Mario platformers, the 3D Mario games, and the RPG Marios.  They're all completely different in style and gameplay, but all really fun.  You can say Capcom doesn't care about Mega Man anymore, but Keiji Inafune had a great love for his baby and made it into a masterpiece spanning several series and generations, and frankly, I think you can see that from the final smash in SSB4.

My top picks would have to be: Mega Man 1, 3, 6, and 10; Mega Man X2, Mega Man Legends 2, Mega Man Battle Network 3 and 6.

I kinda wanna go into why Mega Man 1 was brilliantly designed from the get-go (outside of the magnet bar quirk) but dangit I did that on DCEnygma's stream already and screw you if you didn't watch it. *runs*

#17 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

The most brutal part of 1? In the later games, if you get knocked into spikes by enemies, you have some grace period to get out during invincibility frames; for that matter, speedrunners abuse this to slide across spikes to save time. 1 does not have this; if you get knocked into spikes by an enemy, you're screwed. Also do not forget to find the Magnet Beam powerup in Elec Man's stage, or you're gonna hate yourself when you get to the first Wily castle stage. Other than that, good luck!

Alright, I'll keep this in mind. And thanks, I'm gonna have a pretty awesome time playing this, though I usually suck at games like this, but I guess it'll be worth a shot.

#18 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

So I've always been a little confused by something. Maybe someone can shed some light.

I've heard it said that when they were designing Mega Man, they decided he should be blue, mostly because of the way the color palette for the NES worked. It had a greater range of blues available, so they made him blue so they could add greater detail to his sprite.

But ... Mega Man changes colors with all the different powers he collects. So, he couldn't use any more blues than there are say, reds, because when he equips one of his weapons he'll turn red. Furthermore, his sprite actually only uses 2 shades of blue. So, what am I missing?

#19 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Maybe that was detailed for an earlier NES game. :tard:

I've never heard that story though. I've heard that originally they wanted to make an Astro Boy game, but were turned down so instead made their own character with some inspiration taken from Astro Boy. But I'm glad they were turned down, Megaman's so much cooler than that loser Astro Boy. It's kind of like how Donkey Kong was originally going to be a Popeye game with Popeye and Bluto, but they were denied, so Donkey Kong and Mario were created instead, and that also launched a successful and beloved series.

Gotta love origin stories.

#20 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

This whole video should be an interesting watch for MM fans, but they talk about the color thing at about 40 seconds in.

#21 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

I must be a nerd, because other than that part about the blue and everything from the Star Force bit afterward I already knew. :P

But it's definitely some interesting information. I still have no clue about the "detailed sprite" bit though.

#22 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

If my understanding is correct (and I could be wrong), Capcom cheated to make the sprites for Megaman. NES games had a restriction of x number of colors per sprite, so to get around that, Megaman is actually two different sprites being drawn in the same location, to give the illusion of using more colors per sprite than the NES can provide. At least, this is what I've been told; I could be wrong.

#23 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

I think that was Darkwing Duck that did that. Mega Man doesn't appear to use enough colors to need that.

#24 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

How did I miss this thread? Especially since I'm making my own Mega Man fan game?! Regardless, I absolutely love the series and of the games I've played, these are the ones I like the best:

Classic Series

MM3, MM5, MM6, and MM10 (MM1 and MM2 reeks of bad play design, MM4 had its issues, MM7 and MM8...ugh, and MM9, although great, took too much inspiration from MM2, one I despise, but it still far outclasses its inspiration)

X Series

X1, X2, and X3 (The rest can burn) and I do like the MMX Command Mission RPG, its fun in its own right.

Zero Series

Zero 2 and Zero 4 (Zero 1 is the oddball of the group and Zero 3, while good, was just awkward in execution in a lot of areas)

Note: For those awaiting my fan game, its basically done, we've got about 20~ bugs left to squash, some last minute full-game runthroughs and I'd say we're good. No release date set though! "Its done when its done!"

#25 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

MM2 reeks of bad play design

Hey, glad another person agrees. I hate how everyone sings its praises when it has such obvious issues. It has amazing music, sure, but that doesn't make up for other issues. :(

Honestly I wish I could do ROM hacking, I'd work on an improved version of Megaman 2 using 3's physics, replacing Item-# with Rush (I think Item-3 is needed at one point so I'd keep that), adding in the slide, touching up the Mecha Dragon and Boobeam Trap fights, touching up other questionable level design, give the Wily stage bosses the Wily stage boss music from 3, give the alien boss the Wily stage boss music from 1 (don't tell me it wouldn't fit), replace the Weapon Get music with the one from 3, stuff like that. It'd make Megaman 2 really enjoyable to me.

Anyway, I finished 7 and X recently. 7 is... okay. It's still not all that good and it has some things that annoy me, but it's not horrible or anything. X... X is good I guess. I've beaten it before as well as X2, but the games just don't appeal to me like the 8-bit games do. They just have their own wonderful, fun charm, whereas X feels... I dunno, less charming maybe? I don't care much for the reliance on wall jumps either if I'm honest. They're fine games, just not exactly for me.

#26 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

Well, have you considered this version of the game? It only mainly affects the weapons, but it should fix a handful of your problems with MM2.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2146/

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:20 AM

Well that sounds too easy. :P

Though the Time Stopper and Crash Bomber modifications seem nice.

#28 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

Oh, if I had the power ...  I would make a game that combined all of the 8-bit Mega Man games into one super deluxe edition. Bosses and stages would be randomized, and their weapons categorized into 8 different groups (fire, water, electric, etc.). With each playthrough, you could set things to "ordered random," where one boss of each type would be chosen and their weaknesses would be logical, or "true random," where weapon categories are ignored and everything, including weaknesses, are truly randomized. Imagine a playthrough where you have to use SheepMan's weapon to beat DiveMan, or something. And maybe a Wily Tower mode where instead of being limited to the weapons from MM 1-3, you could use weapons from damn near the whole series. It would be GLORIOUS!!!

#29 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

Megaman 2 isn't perfect, that's obvious, but it's the only classic game (from 1-6) that feels inspired from start to finish. Megaman games have average design really, what made the difference between the games is the music, the weapons and the stage's uniqueness.

Megaman 2, IMO:
*It has the best music.
*It has the more useful weapons, Megaman 3 fails in that department.
*Cool attention to detail: The intro or the final cave with the silence and the drops, the final trick from Wily...
*Every stage is simply memorable and unique, with great action set pieces. Megaman 3 has some stages which are quite generic, and some robomasters don't fit their stages (Top Man, Needle Man...)

I get bored playing Megaman 3 at times, that never happens to me with Megaman 2. Megaman 3 is ok, but it's overrated because the four extra levels with the clones.

Edited by Air Luigi, 17 September 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#30 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Megaman 2 is still my favourite. Apart from the outstanding music, it has IMO the best robot masters (that was before they were running out of ideas and started coming up with either silly robot masters, or robot masters that were basically clones of previous ones), who all have an appropriate stage and original weapons. These robot masters had a lot of personality.

I like the first Megaman X a lot too. It took the best elements of the classic games and built on them. After that it was just more of the same, but with a little less inspiration (a running theme in the series).

I also enjoyed 9 and 10. 9 was on the difficult side, 10 on the easy side. I'd like something that's inbetween. If they ever make 11 I know I'll be playing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users