Photo

Screenshot of the Week 315 - Anions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (55 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

For this one, I choose Spacemandan. Holy f***ing crap that's an awesome dungeon how do you even design something like that!!!?

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Giggidy, it's a shame you don't make a quest of your tileset. That's because your screen layout is really, really good. Playing your screens would be great fun, as they'd "flow well". I don't have to talk about how great these tiles look in ZC with alternate palettes, that much you already know. I'm curious to see some dungeon screens by you.
Blaman, your's is also a very nice one. Probably one of the best I've seen from you. Great work!
Moo2Woo, I voted for you. It kinda appealed to me most, both in terms of colour, idea and execution. May I suggest, though, getting rid of the dead trees and replace them with 2x2 "bushes"? The dead trees give off a certain vibe which I really don't see fit for Hyrule Field. For Deathmountain maybe, but I don't see them in the field.

Edited by Sheik91, 28 March 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#18 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Also, what in the world is going on in Saffith's screen? I really cannot see anything resembling Zelda. Can someone explain this?

#19 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Mar 28 2011, 04:06 PM) View Post
Giggidy, it's a shame you don't make a quest of your tileset. That's because your screen layout is really, really good. Playing your screens would be great fun, as they'd "flow well". I don't have to talk about how great these tiles look in ZC with alternate palettes, that much you already know. I'm curious to see some dungeon screens by you.

Unfortunately I don't have the attention span to work on quests. Messing with tilesets, however, is something I never get bored of.

I did, however, have the idea of making a simple tech demo to show off a script I'm working on. I was going to just use Pure, but perhaps I'll use my MC tileset instead. Stay tuned...

#20 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Mar 28 2011, 05:06 PM) View Post
Moo2Woo, I voted for you. It kinda appealed to me most, both in terms of colour, idea and execution. May I suggest, though, getting rid of the dead trees and replace them with 2x2 "bushes"? The dead trees give off a certain vibe which I really don't see fit for Hyrule Field. For Deathmountain maybe, but I don't see them in the field.

Thanks.

The dead tree is only used because this screen is right next to the Lost Woods, which I think would get really boring with just the 2x2 bushes and small trees. Other than this, the only time they're used on the overworld is Death Mountain.

@Pokemonmaster64: Nope, not Schwa's tiles. I guarantee, if they were, I'd be using them tons more.

Edited by Moo2wo, 28 March 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#21 Aaron The Great

Aaron The Great

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

Holy crap, SpacemanDan/Blaman! This...is...so...epic....

Well, I think you can guess who I voted for.

#22 catfriedrice

catfriedrice

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Mar 27 2011, 10:50 PM) View Post

catfriedrice: Ehh. I don't really like it. The subscreen, while not really what I'm judging off of looks a bit off and you couldn't have taken the screenshot at a worse moment (damage flash, fireball and enemies clumped up). Well, maybe you could have... 6/10

I thought I nailed the fireball bat combo pretty well. looked like it was burning. As for the flash color... zombie link.

#23 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

I can't emphasize how good I think this screen looks in that palette. You use quite a lot of tiles that've been around for awhile, but the way they all fit together is excellent. And those added water details -- the shadows and the ripples -- do not go unnoticed. Oh, and you've got a very nice subscreen layout there. Nice idea swapping the A/B slots and the meters. I'd bring the rupees down a bit and the bombs up a bit, though. Love those hearts, too. And why'd you change "Life" to read "Live?"

Moo2wo:

Nothing bad here for Classic, I guess, but even for Classic it looks a little... plain. Don't worry about trying to have so many different elements on the same screen; what's probably more important is the shape of the mountains.

Yoshidude:

Is this Pure Rememberance? I see either DoR tiles ripped into Pure, or Pure tiles ripped into DoR. And either way I seriously have to ask, what's the point? I painstakingly edited Gameboy trees so that they would better match the perspective of all the other tiles, and then people just get rid of them. icon_razz.gif Anyway, this is a pretty standard shot. Town scene, a house, trees, grass, and NPCs doing nothing.

catfriedrice:

Hey, nice. I'm guessing you've given the player the Roc's Feather but not the Flippers, and that is walkable water so he has to jump across the spaces. I quite like this screen except for the way the borders are used. There's this syndrome that's apparently been around since Pure version 1, where people surround every single walkable area with LTTP floor borders, even where it touches the wall. It's not necessary; not even LTTP did it quite like that.

Aside from that, nice use of my tileset. icon_smile.gif

saffith:

Um. Wow. This looks like an enormous amount of work for a questionable goal. Since the end result is just a bunch of muddled grey, I hope you didn't spend more than 20 minutes on this experiment.

Giggidy:

Nicely put together, but as it stands it's just rock with a bit of rain. No objects, no enemies, no subscreen, no player sprite, no action. It's a nice tileset demonstration, but as always, I pass on to the more interesting screenshots. If you don't like having subscreens or sprites in your screenshots, I would recommend entering Map of the Month or Screen Rebirth instead of SotW.

SpacemanDan:

No offense, but I can't quite understand why this one is so popular. It's a mess of different tiles all at once, and the fog doesn't really help it. And personally, I don't like seeing dungeon tiles used for exteriors that way. The outward angles just look strange, and the torches look out of place. I think such areas should be done in moderation.

In the end I have to vote for Avataro, since his shot comes together the most nicely as a whole.

#24 catfriedrice

catfriedrice

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Mar 28 2011, 09:42 PM) View Post

catfriedrice:

Hey, nice. I'm guessing you've given the player the Roc's Feather but not the Flippers, and that is walkable water so he has to jump across the spaces. I quite like this screen except for the way the borders are used. There's this syndrome that's apparently been around since Pure version 1, where people surround every single walkable area with LTTP floor borders, even where it touches the wall. It's not necessary; not even LTTP did it quite like that.

Aside from that, nice use of my tileset. icon_smile.gif

Close, the player gets the ladder. In this particular room, the heart cannot be reached no matter which direction the player comes through, save for that left middle platform (which makes it ideal for a bombable wall/secret wall/etc that the player has to research) Also, the stair door can only be reached by the top right door, and the top middle door can only be reached by the bottom right platform. Makes for interesting mazes.
But I do like your idea with the rocs feather, and the template design.

Edited by catfriedrice, 28 March 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#25 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Mar 27 2011, 11:04 PM) View Post

Oh, so you just meant having link and enemies on the screen. That much I can do, but I think the sprites would just distract.

i completely agree for me screenshot of the week doesnt have to have link in it its not called "screenshot of the week with enemies and link" now is it Xb

anyways voted for Giggidy very nice screen and i like the feel of it

#26 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:55 AM

Giggidy, nice MZC shot, but MC's mountains are less than glamorous.

SpacemanDan is amazing, and the others are not far behind.

Saffith earned my vote for a combination of what looks to be hand-drawn tiles (or at least greatly edited tiles) to pull off a nice fog effect. Thus, he has earned my vote (though everyone this week did really well)

#27 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

Wait...did Giggidy make that tileset himself? If so, I kinda feel like a dick. Can I maybe have a copy?

Also, @Moo2wo: If that isn't Schwa's tileset, then what is it and can I have a copy?

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 29 March 2011 - 07:58 AM.

#28 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(chainswap @ Mar 29 2011, 03:39 AM) View Post

i completely agree for me screenshot of the week doesnt have to have link in it its not called "screenshot of the week with enemies and link" now is it Xb

anyways voted for Giggidy very nice screen and i like the feel of it

With link & enemies, screens have more life in them, and they look more "real".

Thank you Radien! I did not make the shadow in the water though. icon_smile.gif

Personally I prefer Giggidys screen. I just love the MC tiles, it would look so great ingame!

#29 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Mar 28 2011, 10:42 PM) View Post

SpacemanDan:

No offense, but I can't quite understand why this one is so popular. It's a mess of different tiles all at once, and the fog doesn't really help it. And personally, I don't like seeing dungeon tiles used for exteriors that way. The outward angles just look strange, and the torches look out of place. I think such areas should be done in moderation.

I am horribly offended and will never forgive you. Ever. icon_glare.gif

Naw, I'm kidding. icon_razz.gif

I think it may be that my concept didn't come out the way I had hoped; it's supposed to be a flying temple. Thing is, I wanted to add a little extra to it, so I made it a forest temple as well, hence the overhanging leaves. (Since regular flying temples have been done plenty of times now) The 'fog' are actually clouds to help with the sky feel, but since I felt it would be too obstructive, I decided to make them transparent. (As with the clouds underneath, though I may have been able to get away with not making it transparent.

Actually, after I had submitted the shot, I started questioning a few things like the torches and the brown vines/roots.

#30 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Mar 29 2011, 06:57 AM) View Post
Wait...did Giggidy make that tileset himself? If so, I kinda feel like a dick. Can I maybe have a copy?

Yes. Tbh the graphics set you see up there was a bit rushed for the sake of getting a shot in on time: The colors aren't integrated in with the main palette arrangement and just use a separate layout, so the other graphics from the set aren't compatible with it yet. In addition, the rain isn't animated.

Here is an older version where the water isn't combo'd properly and the Mt. Crenal area isn't ripped in yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users