The Official Quest Screenshot Critique Thread

• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7591 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

https://www.spriters-resource.com/will have heaps of ripped dungeon tiles. If you want to find games with nice dungeons... Google I guess! :lol:

#7592 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

So once more a big thanks for you GG-explanations, but how do you decide the colors? I mean how do you get the idea to choose purple as the shadow color for green? If I make a color ramp I so far just made a single color in ZC, copy this one and manually try out how it does change if I manually increase/decrease the numbers. I at best use the slider on the side, but never the field in the middle, it's quite obvious that you way is a lot more effective.

I also have troubles to choose another color ramp for additional colors in a palette. I kind of play around with Firebird and want to overwork the main palette to be more user friendly with a bigger amount of colors, no double colors. Like you might know cset 3 and 4 are mostly identical and that leaves a lot of space for new colors and I just can't decide what colors I should add. I especially would like to add another 5 color ramp but I tested out multiple things that didn't work out well. Like purple, the ramp itself was a slightly edited version of existing tilesets and looked good imo, but next to the grass and the ground it just looks wrong.

#7593 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Know of any games that fit the style of the tileset?

#7594 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

how do you decide the colors? I mean how do you get the idea to choose purple as the shadow color for green?

For me it's kind of intuitive at this point. But that's not entirely true. I have also studied (at times) the color palettes of games I like so there has to be something learnable about it, too. Maybe look at maps of video games you visually enjoy and try to figure out which colors they use. Try to recreate (not rip) palletes from (or in the spirit of) these games yourself.

#7595 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

I mean how do you get the idea to choose purple as the shadow color for green?

Purple shadows are more or less artistic magic - it's not realistic, but the contrast looks good. Yellow highlights on the other hand - particularly with foliage - is (I think anyway) due to subsurface scattering (light getting trapped and refracted between the different cell layers, causing them to glow).

Beyond that though, remember that you're trying to paint a particular scene and you want to imbue a particular atmosphere into that scene. Using cool, desaturated colours will imply a cold, depressing atmosphere, whilst warmer, saturated colours will imply a hot atmosphere. This is also why, in general, highlights are skewed to the warmer end of the spectrum and shadows are skewed to the cooler end.

#7596 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

TayyfAe.png

Every hero needs time to take in the scenery.

• Anthus, Eddy, Jared and 3 others like this

#7597 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

v3r7iiZ.png?1

• Eddy and Avaro like this

#7598 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

Oh wow, blast from the past with those mountains. :lol:

• Mibbitable likes this

#7599 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:46 AM

iwNaYq1.png?1

How is this all looking?

• Anthus, Eddy, Jared and 2 others like this

#7600 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

The moss on the mountains isn't to my liking. A bit is OK, but in every tile it's too much. I also think Link's green is a bit overkill comparrd to the other colors in the screen.

#7601 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

I like the house.

#7602 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

kSL339S.png

A cut scene plays when you approach it :)

• Anthus, Bourkification, Shane and 5 others like this

#7603 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Not a fan of the flowers or how the waterfall starts from above the borders.

#7604 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

Yeah the waterfall tops could be fixed with border edges. Whats wrong with the flowers though?

• Shane and Jenny like this

#7605 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

The coloration. IMO it's a bit much for EZGBZ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users