Photo

Reinstalling Windows 8.1 from a failed Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

So here's a fun one.  I've got a friend that has a Windows 8 Laptop whose Hard Drive failed.  I did manage to extract his information off of it, so that's good, but now we want to get Windows 8.1 back onto a new drive.

I popped in a Hiren's BootCD to get into Mini-XP to run a program that can get the License Key off of the BIOS, but now I'm realizing that I don't have a disk for it.  The original Hard Drive's restore partition failed and the original operating system isn't retrievable.  I feel so stuck.  I've already tried to ram a few installations of Win8 that I got elsewhere onto it, but the key doesn't work on any of them.

I feel like this situation wasn't thought out very well, and recovery is made a lot harder than it should.  The laptop didn't come with any restore media or disks. 

What the heck would a person like that do now? O.o

#2 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

1) You'll likely want an OEM version of Windows 8 or 8.1.

2) Windows 8.0 product keys do not work with Windows 8.1 during a fresh installation of Windows 8.1, but it will activate fine after installation is complete (Crazy right?).

3) If you want to do a fresh install of 8.1 but have an 8.0 product key you can use a dummy/expired Windows 8.1 product key from anywhere on the internet to get past the Setup phase and then change the Product Key in Control Panel > System to your legal 8.0 product key.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 01 June 2016 - 09:23 AM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#3 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

I could always send you my uh... 'Activator'. Send me a PM.

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

Does the activator start with a K and end with a lowercase o? :-P

1) You'll likely want an OEM version of Windows 8 or 8.1.
  Naturally.  Just need to find one.

2) Windows 8.0 product keys do not work with Windows 8.1 during a fresh installation of Windows 8.1, but it will activate fine after installation is complete (Crazy right?).
  I know, it's odd.  I also heard that it needs to be connected to the internet via ethernet and not wirelessly to work, but that may be something else.

3) If you want to do a fresh install of 8.1 but have an 8.0 product key you can use a dummy/expired Windows 8.1 product key from anywhere on the internet to get past the Setup phase and then change the Product Key in Control Panel > System to your legal 8.0 product key.
I'm surprised I don't have a dead windows 8 computer lying around somewhere.  I could get the key off of that one the same way I did off of the other one.  Having a USB Thumb stick with Hiren's is such a gift, I swear.

#5 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

If you can burn a DVD, you can Download 8.1 directly from Microsoft using this tool. It could also use a USB Flash drive if you've got one big enough for the installation media.

Edited by Sephiroth, 01 June 2016 - 05:12 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#6 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:47 AM

Bunch of info here too http://dellwindowsre...il-and-oem-iso/

It seems Microsoft did finally fix the inability to use 8.0 product keys on an 8.1 ISO, so long as it is the 8.1 Update 2 ISO

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 June 2016 - 12:43 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

Aaha, thank you very much.  That's all really good to know.  I am so not used to actually being able to download an operating system.

How do these work with OEM operating systems though?  OEM keys are so unique.

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

That second link says the Setup will automatically retrieve the OEM license from the BIOS, just make sure it is an 8.1 Update 2 ISO. Download the ISO via this tool http://windows.micro...t-refresh-media (Sephiroth links to here too I believe)

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 June 2016 - 12:43 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

So did you succeed??

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

I haven't had access to the laptop since he brought it home with him.  If he has any issues, he'll call, but it's been more than three days and I haven't heard back, so...   Not really sure what to think right now.  I'll bet he'll call back when he's good and ready if there's a problem.

Thanks for asking though!

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

I feel like this situation wasn't thought out very well, and recovery is made a lot harder than it should.  The laptop didn't come with any restore media or disks. 

What the heck would a person like that do now? O.o

Roll back to 7?

I just picked up a Dell e6420, and the vendor slapped on it.

My first priority, yank the drive, put it on my inux system and double-zero it.
Next, push a 1TB enterprise drive into the bay, and install 7 Pro on that, then set up all of my normal tools.
3. Determine if it's in any way better than my similar 6410ATG, with regard to compiling performance, then find out if it has the same issues with ZC and a USB controller as the ATG.

Really though, the 'peg leg' win 8 ISOs are your best bet. Most have been de-keyed, and your mate has a legal right to the software, as his system has a perma-license.

Microsoft turned all support, particularly migration, and drive upgrades, into total hell starting with win8. It's a perpetual farce that has become progressively worse, summing to win10, to give us the ultimate kick in the groin.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#12 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:20 AM

Windows 10 isn't that bad, granted you disable all the "recommended" features, including Cortana.

Also I'd disable letting Microsoft steal your bandwidth for Windows Updates, they compare it to torrenting, however your bandwidth is only used when you yourself are torrenting. And god knows my internet sucks.

Some "hacking" might be required to get rid of the stuff you really don't need. CCleaner helps uninstalling some unwanted windoze apps.

GCC and other GNU stuff still work for me so it's all good.

Do not, by any means install any kind of pre release build. 

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 16 June 2016 - 12:21 AM.

#13 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

Also I'd disable letting Microsoft steal your bandwidth for Windows Updates, they compare it to torrenting, however your bandwidth is only used when you yourself are torrenting. And god knows my internet sucks.

Some "hacking" might be required to get rid of the stuff you really don't need. CCleaner helps uninstalling some unwanted windoze apps.

What? I mean I'm sure it now uses torrenting technology but you can't turn that off (Without completely disabling Windows Update). You can however stop it partially downloading updates from another computer on your local network/other peoples computers though.

#14 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

No you can turn it off.

Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & Security  -> Advanced Options -> Choose How Updates are delivered

CLE0fO3.png

And it doesn't turn off Windows Update. Here's a site if you want to know more.

http://thehackernews...-10-update.html

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:18 AM

Windows 10 isn't that bad, granted you disable all the "recommended" features, including Cortana.

GCC and other GNU stuff still work for me so it's all good.

Do not, by any means install any kind of pre release build.

Oh, hello there. Where have you been of late? You'ven't been in chat for ages.
  • SyrianBallaS likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users