Photo

Screenshot of the Week 527

Joelmacool12 legend27 Dimentio ywkls Anarchy_Balsac Eddy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 527 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Joelmacool12
Joelmacool12.png
My first attempt at a Koten Overworld.

legend27
legend27.png
A scene in the fall for the beginning of fall.

Dimentio
Dimentio.png
You'd be surprised to find that there is no mining facility here. Only pain.

ywkls
ywkls.png
This screenshot comes to you courtesy of an unfinished quest I made, circa 2006.

Anarchy_Balsac
Anarchy_Balsac.png
In the Underworld, it rains not from the clouds, but from the lake above.  Yet in these light starved waters lay an even more viscous species of Zora.

Eddy
Eddy.png
Outside the Moblin Keep.
  • Rastael, Joelmacool and KingPridenia like this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

Nulled since I'm in this one, so here's my thoughts on the others.

Joelmacool12- The trees look good. Everything else... is kind of brown. I'm not sure if it is the tileset or the palette that's causing this. But brown water? Is Hyrule polluted, or manufacturing chocolate milk?

legend27- The palette just screams Autumn. The screen layout and subscreen are pretty nice.

Dimentio- I like the way that lava looks, especially as it goes over the cliffs. The huge stalagmites are pretty neat too.

Anarchy_Balsac- I don't think I've ever seen a more dreary shot. If that was your goal, then you accomplished it.

Eddy- Very, very nice recreation of this area from Oracle of Ages. if I voted, I'd choose this one.

Some pretty goods shots this week for the most part.

Edited by ywkls, 27 September 2015 - 08:43 PM.

• Eddy likes this

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

This is the first SotW that I've ever entered, so I've nulled. My thoughts are as follows:

Joel: That's a pretty good first attempt at Koten. No visible flaws, either.

Legend: Wow. I certainly do see the fall look. One thing that would've prevented me from voting for it, is the fact hat the palette's a bit too bright.

Dimentio (Me): I am very proud at how this turned out. This is supposed to be the "Eldin Wastelands" area of my game. A desert mixed in with a magma wasteland. Also, I lied. There is is a very small mine somewhere in this desert, but the big focus is the pirate fortress located in the middle of the wasteland (and maybe the ancient tomb located under said mine, but nobody cares about that).

ywkls: This would have been my vote had I voted. It's very nice, considering it's from 2006. Great work!

Anarchy: This is a very grim a dreary scene. However, it's very detail-less, and I spot a tile error near the bottom left.

Eddy: Besides the fact that there is no transition between the pavement and the dirt, and the fact that Amy looks ugly and very out of place, this is a great screen. My 2nd place vote would have been here had it not been for ywkls.

Edited by Dimentio, 27 September 2015 - 09:14 PM.

• Eddy and ywkls like this

#4 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

Anarchy: This is a very grim a dreary scene. However, it's very detail-less, and I spot a tile error near the bottom left.

Ah damnit, well, better here then in the Beta or the finished quest I say.  I'm open to suggestion on how to detail it, but it'll have to be within the confines of the EZGBZ tileset, as I am not much of an animator.

#5 Parsnip

Parsnip

Parsnip

• Members

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:56 PM

Wow... I nulled because I'm in this one but for the most part they all look really good. 

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:59 PM

It was a difficult choice between Joel and Eddy. I ended up voting for Joel Because I didn't like how the rocks lined up like that in Eddy's image.

When Joel started quest designing, I must say I had trouble taking him seriously. I never got into the whole DayDay hype and I doubt I ever could, but he's since been producing some quality stuff the past couple of months. Quite impressive!

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 27 September 2015 - 10:01 PM.

• Eddy and Joelmacool like this

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:13 AM

Joelmacool12's, legend27's and Eddy's were really the only ones that were appealing. But in the end, I voted Eddy because it looks the most solid overall.

The others were empty and generic or just had a really funky palette. Either way, I felt nothing compel me whatsoever. :shrug:

• Eddy and coolgamer012345 like this

#8 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Joelmacool12's, legend27's and Eddy's were really the only ones that were appealing. But in the end, I voted Eddy because it looks the most solid overall.

The others were empty and generic or just had a really funky palette. Either way, I felt nothing compel me whatsoever. :shrug:

U WOT M8

Which one of the two was mine? Funky palette or empty and generic? 

Also, it's nice to see that people are actually voting for me. Of course I don't think I'll be able to keep up with Joel and Eddy, but I think I'll try for third place.

#9 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

I voted for joelmacool12.

• Joelmacool likes this

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

Dimentio, your screen feels empty. But it should also be noted it feels disconnected too now that I look at it more. The lava doesn't properly transition with the sand and the mountains feel really odd. Why isn't the lava falling off of it? I know it's graphical limitations, but stuff like this is best avoided. Try to make everything compliment each other and try making the screen as logical as possible. As for the blandness... it's really hard to detail stuff when your screen is mostly water or lava, but maybe adding giant flames onto the lava to give it more detail? I don't know, I haven't really used DoR in ages.

• Eddy likes this

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

Joelmacool12 - Wow you make Koten look really good. I'm not really fond of how the mountains work over to the right with the random shading, but I have no idea how I would go about fixing it. Minor issue for a great screen though, so good work.

legend27 - This is a really good screenshot. I haven't got any criticisms with this one, so great job!

Dimentio - I like what you're doing here. I especially love those rocks coming out of the ground and lava, but besides that, there's nothing else I can really say.

ywkls - It's an interesting screen though I'm not sure if using a dungeon palette for an overworld is a good combination. Though I can forgive you though since Newfirst didn't really have any alternative overworld palettes.

Anarchy_Balsac - This one didn't really appeal to me this week. It just looks bland and empty and there isn't really anything interesting going on in the shot. The monochrome colours don't really help either.

Eddy - Amy's gonna get rekt m8.

Anyways, I null voted since I entered, but this was a pretty good turnout. Now to respond to criticism:

Eddy- Very, very nice recreation of this area from Oracle of Ages. if I voted, I'd choose this one.

Thanks! I'm very happy you loved the shot :D

Eddy: Besides the fact that there is no transition between the pavement and the dirt, and the fact that Amy looks ugly and very out of place, this is a great screen. My 2nd place vote would have been here had it not been for ywkls.

Amy is not ugly, how could you do this to my favourite character!? I honestly think Amy's sprite is perfect the way it is, and I don't see any problems myself, so she's not gonna be changing :P The "no pavement to ground" transition was intentional, since again, my main goal is to make this very OoX like, hence why there's no transition. Even then, I don't think there is a need for one. Thanks for the criticism though.

It was a difficult choice between Joel and Eddy. I ended up voting for Joel Because I didn't like how the rocks lined up like that in Eddy's image.

When Joel started quest designing, I must say I had trouble taking him seriously. I never got into the whole DayDay hype and I doubt I ever could, but he's since been producing some quality stuff the past couple of months. Quite impressive!

I don't see any issues with the rocks lining up in my shot, they all seem to flow nicely to me. But hey, it's fine if you think that, and thanks for the criticism anyway.

Also, "I never got into the whole DayDay hype and I doubt I ever could". So how did JMC's Troll Day happen? The whole troll day thing was linked in with the DayDay hype so you kinda did in some ways :P

(I kid, I kid, I'm just being silly lol)

Thanks for the vote!

• Joelmacool likes this

#12 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

Anarchy_Balsac - This one didn't really appeal to me this week. It just looks bland and empty and there isn't really anything interesting going on in the shot. The monochrome colours don't really help either.

Well the monochrome thing is done to simulate a Gameboy Screen, though I'm not against taking the occasional liberty with that.  But what, in your opinion, should I do to liven it up?

#13 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

Well the monochrome thing is done to simulate a Gameboy Screen, though I'm not against taking the occasional liberty with that.  But what, in your opinion, should I do to liven it up?

Regarding the monochrome colours, that makes sense.

As for livening it up, probably having some ground detail here and there by using the many kinds of dirt in the tileset, and adding bushes and grass can help. Maybe a few trees could help too and make it look less empty.

#14 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:11 AM

Regarding the monochrome colours, that makes sense.

As for livening it up, probably having some ground detail here and there by using the many kinds of dirt in the tileset, and adding bushes and grass can help. Maybe a few trees could help too and make it look less empty.

What about dead trees/bushes or rocks?  One of the plot points is that nothing normal grows in the underworld due to the lack of sunlight.

Edited by Anarchy_Balsac, 28 September 2015 - 10:12 AM.

#15 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

What about dead trees/bushes or rocks?  One of the plot points is that nothing normal grows in the underworld due to the lack of sunlight.

Ah, well in that case those could work pretty well then.

• Anarchy_Balsac likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool12, legend27, Dimentio, ywkls, Anarchy_Balsac, Eddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users