Photo

Front Page Quests - Voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Front Page Quests (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Which quests best represent PureZC?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

Sorry for the delay, but it's time to vote! With about fifty quest nominations, I felt the need to whittle the list down significantly. I gave priority to quests that got more than one nomination and came up with a list of twenty quests that I feel are the strongest contenders. Sorry to anyone whose quests or nominations didn't make the cut. I'd love to have included them all, but it would have been very impractical.

You are free to vote for as many quests as you like. However, I'd recommend not voting for too many, since the impact of your votes will matter less the more you vote for. In the purest example, voting for every quest on the list means your votes make no difference at all. I think if everyone votes for their top six quests this will work out nicely, but that's up to you. Also, please keep in mind that this isn't necessarily about the best quests, or even the most enjoyable quests. Quests with historical value are also good choices. You're also free to vote for your own quests, (not that we'd have any way of checking anyway). Personally, I tried to vote for a spectrum of classic and modern quests in different genres, but again, it's up to you.

The top six highest voted quests will go in the news section on the front page. If we get too many ties or other confusing situations, we might have to have the staff make some decisions, but we'll try to rely on the community here as much as possible. Thanks for your nominations and for voting! Let's get this show on the road!

I'll leave voting open through 11:59 PM Pacific on Sunday, July 29th.

• Cukeman likes this

#2 Shoshon the Elegant

Shoshon the Elegant

White Tiger King!

• Database Staff

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

Gotta give one vote for Eiyuu. I think it's a really good of example of a different kind of quest.

The Forbidden City is too wonderful for me not to vote for it. Really excellent example of classic.

Isle of Rebirth and Lost Isle are both great quest examples of an earlier era.

Amy Rose 3 is a nice different kind quest that's just mostly well designed. And should bring people into the rest of Eddy's series.

Rite of the Storm and Yuurei are just excellent metroidvania quests. RotS shows a good miniquest style metroidvania while just being good all around. While Yuurei is my favorite quest in the database.

I was considering Hero of Dreams and Yuurand after these 7.
  • Aevin likes this

#3 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

This is like choosing a favorite child. In some cases it almost literally is. My picks:

• Banana Blood God - Feels weird voting for my own quest but without it I'd be voting for something with too much overlap with another pick... So I'd pick this to represent comedy quests, which are pretty scarce on this list. Would Zelda's Butt be one? I never got far in that one...
  • The Hero's Memory - If I'm gonna pick a more vanilla quest, it's gotta be a damn good one. This is one of the few NES-style quests to actually hold my interest, representing a style I'm personally not the biggest fan of. 
  • Isle of "Rebrith" - It was either this, Hero of Dreams, or Lost Isle to represent the "blockbuster quest". I think IoR is the best of the three, although it has aged a bit. 
  • Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia - This is the best Zelda quest on the site IMO. It captures the best parts of Zelda, mainly the items and puzzles. My other pick for this category was The Forbidden City, which was good in other areas but didn't use its items as well or capture the "Zelda" feel as well.
  • Rite of the Storm - I suppose this would be my pick for the "all around" quest. It's an original quest with original graphics, creative puzzles, and plenty of polish. It does things other quests might do better but in a good balance all around. It's no surprise it's the top rated quest at the moment. There's something in it for everybody. 
  • Yuurand - Lastly, the ranomizer. Randomizers are a big trend right now and this is the best randomizer on the site. I probably also would've voted for Yuurei for the great replay value and story, but the addition of a randomizer just elevates it to a new level.

• Jared and ywkls like this

#4 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Lost Isle and HoD because big blockbusters. IoR is a lot better, but for front page I go with the other two.

Hookshot 2 and Link plus Zelda because scripted big time, big influence in some ways and classic.

Memories because my favourite NES-like on pure.

Yuurand because Yuurand. I would add Yuurei's votes to it and if they get into the top 10, take the one with more votes.

#5 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

Lost Isle, HoD are the obvious historic monoliths. Voted for them.

Forbidden City, Yuurand and Eiyuu are all amazing ambitious quests from a more modern era, but it's really hard to tell what will stand the test of time until it actually happens. :P

#6 Einsiety

Einsiety

~ Blaze Fielding ~

• Forum Moderators

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:10 PM

Lost Isle and Isle of Rebirth got covered by outside Zelda sites (Though I think Hero of Dreams might've too???). Either way, all 3 are logical votes. Still need to beat all 3.

Link's Birthday DX was pretty much the quintessential standard classic quest back in the era it was released in, so it gets a vote.

Rite of the Storm and Yuurei, while I haven't played them fully, seem like logical choices as well.

#7 Dimentio

Dimentio

Procrastinator at heart

• Members

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

Isle of Rebirth,
Rite of the Storm,
Lost Isle,
Eiyuu,
In The Lost Kingdom Of The Banana Blood God,
and Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia

There are 3 main reasons I picked these quests:
1. They're all very well received quests by the community
2. They're quests that I have enjoyed
3. They're quests that at the very least wouldn't scare away newcomers, IMO.

2 and 3 could probably be combined into 1 reason, but they are the two reasons why I didn't vote for Hero of Dreams. Hero of Dreams hasn't held up very well, is filled with a bunch of bad design decisions, and just isn't very fun (plus it's broken in 2.50+; the final boss outright breaks). I would never recommend Hero of Dreams to a newcomer; if I recommended it to a newcomer they might think that's the best ZC can offer and just leave. Sure, it "represents the 2.10 era" and is "impressive", but if it's the best the 2.10 era can offer, then maybe the 2.10 era deserves to not have a spotlight. I don't think that's true, because there are a lot of 2.10 quests I or others have enjoyed even in the 2.50 era; I just think Hero of Dreams isn't a good representative of that era. /endpointlessrant

Edited by Dimentio, 21 July 2018 - 08:44 PM.

• Anthus and Avataro like this

#8 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

I selected six that most represent the PZC community, not what I consider personal favourites. My choices are based on my observations over the last few years.

#9 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

I can only vote based by what I've played and at least come close to beating. I'm voting based on many criteria, not just my own biases. 

#10 klop422

klop422

Evil Crazy Mastermind

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:06 PM

Honestly, I've never played most of these, never completed any (although I've been wanting to). That's why I voted for the ones I've heard people say are the 'best' or the ones I hear (read?) mentioned all the time.

I mean, more than the others on the list :P

Edited by klop422, 24 July 2018 - 04:07 PM.

#11 David

David

• Forum Moderators

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

I firstly voted for Lost Isle and Hero of Dreams since they are both historic and significant quests. The Hero's Memory is my pick for a great quest that used the NES-style effectively. For the remaining three, I ended up going for Rite of the Storm, Banana Blood God, and Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia, all of which are spectacular quests that represent ZC and PureZC well, from what I've played and/or seen.

It was hard to whittle the huge number of choices down to six since all of the quests up there are great in their own right, but that's what I ended up voting for. Looking forward to the final results. :)

#12 sutibu

sutibu

Initiate

• Members

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:26 PM

Okay I put my votes in.

With the advice to go with not just favorites but quests that impacted the community and were historical, I chose six quests.

Lost Isle - One of the first quests that had a truly professional feel to it. It even had it's own build to use specifically with the quest. Though I've only played through about 30 minutes of the quest, it had a really unique feel. Stretching beyond that, at the time it was the quest. The design also broke from the standard "collect eight Triforce pieces, save princess".

Origin - While I didn't play Lost Isle, I played countless hours of Origin. For me, this was the quest that really got me back into ZC and am still back into it because of it. This quest changed my view on Zelda Classic so much. It was the first quest I saw with a custom subscreen, the design was so fluid. I loved how the original overworld was transformed into something new, yet familiar. While not as impactful on the community, I feel like this quest opened my eyes to the potential of ZC. To me it's timeless as well since, even though the age of scripts have come and this one uses none, it still feels solid and professional.

Hero of Dreams - I've never played this quest either, but this and Lost Isle and the two quests that everyone knows. Again at the time, it was the quest. The quest that everyone wanted to play, the quest that had it all. Custom bosses, an in-depth story, a massive world. While according to the community, this one has aged a bit and may not be the quest with the most polish, it was one of the great quests ever and is still highly regarded today.

Link's Birthday DX - While I only ever played the original (and in the Christmas form at that) I distinctly recall the reception of the quest at the time. Pure had just come into fashion and while Pure Quest and Link's Birthday were well received, I feel like it was this quest that showed it's potential.

Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia - I haven't finished playing through this one yet, but I remember the Wow factor that went with it. If  Link's Birthday DX and Lost Isle at their given times showed what potential ZC had with it's limitations and expanding limitations respectively at their times, this one showed the new and great potential that ZC scripting brings. Both 2D and 3D gameplay, items that fit right in with Zelda gameplay. While a bit buggy at times, this quest really felt like an official game.

The Hero's Memory - This quest kind of popped up a few years ago and everyone was talking about it. "Love letter to the Legend of Zelda Series". Though in the long run, this one may not have been as impactful in the overall community as the other quests I listed, it was incredibly well received. The design itself felt so Legend of Zelda and with references to the other games in the series, it really felt like it fit in. The design was beautiful too.

Honorable Mentions - Light of the Heavens - was well received. Love it or Hate type quests.

Yuurand / Yuurei - I only briefly played Yuurand. Both these were hugely received. For the scripted genre, these are right along the lines of Panoply of Calatia. It was tough for me to choose, and in the end may have been preference and the fact that I actually played it, but I went with Panoply of Calatia instead. I need to play these two though.

Isle of Rebirth - Again, I remember when this quest popped up almost out of nowhere (kind of like Hero of Dreams) and just kind of exploded on the scene. Another quest that's on my to play list. To the community, this is the quintessential GB quest. I feel like after this one, GB quests and GB tileset use greatly increased.

I almost want to edit my vote after rethinking some of this, but I'll stick with my original six since I feel like they represent Zelda Classic the best. They tell the story of what Zelda Classic is and how it has evolved over the years. They also tell the story of the great community that came around to support Zelda Classic and how these quests both influenced the community and were influenced by the it as well.

Just my opinion though. I'm really enjoying the thoughts and ideas that everyone has brought to this thread. It really shows the diversity of the community and all the different thoughts and opinions on these classics out there.

スティーブ

Edited by sutibu, 28 July 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#13 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:38 AM

I'll be closing this up in roughly 24 hours. Anyone who still wants to vote should get those in before then!

#14 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:34 AM

So if I count right, there are 6 with more than 12 votes. I still think it's a bit unlucky to have both yuurei and yuurand as these two games are so close and together they have second most votes. I personally think that should be enough to put yuurand into the 6.

Saying so as I assume it's a bit difficult to bring that up for Aevin himself since he leads the voting and is far too modest. :P

Edited by Chris, 29 July 2018 - 04:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users