Custom "Collectable" Item Question.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Can you create an item that works like rupees in the sense that you collect 1, it adds 1 to a counter? I want to have a 'gold skultula' type side quest, and I'm wondering if a script would be required to have this separate counter, or if it can be done with the item editor alone. Thanks.

Edited by Anthus, 21 January 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

icon_smile.gif
Yes of course, this can be done with the item and subscreen editor alone. You just use one of the "script" counters (instead of rupees, bombs, etc), wich can also be used without scripts.

Edited by Avataro, 18 January 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Awesome. My next question then is, can you have a guy give you an item after collecting a certain amount? I've read that something like this can be done with string commands. Is this true? Thanks again icon_smile.gif

#4 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yes, that's true. I do this all the time for trading sequences. Check the ZQuest Help File.

Edited by Sepulcher, 18 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#5 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

You'll want to read up on zstrings.txt to find out more about trading sequences. Everything you asked about can be done with the item editor, optionally the subscreen editor, and string control codes.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks. I'll check that out. Is zstrings.txt something that came with ZC or is it in a thread somewhere?

#7 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

It comes with ZC.

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Awesome, thanks icon_smile.gif I never even knew this stuff existed till recently. Well, I knew about being able to change text color, but that's it. This is pretty cool, cause I thought you needed to use scripting to do pretty much all of this stuff. Excuse me while I go re-evaluate the meaning of life icon_deformed.gif

Edited by Anthus, 21 January 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#9 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Anthus, if you get this to work for a test screen, would you consider uploading it as a small demo?

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I could do so, maybe, I'm just not sure when I'll get around to actually putting this in my quest. I could do it any time really, I just want to get the required areas for the first two dungeons done before I do "optional" stuff.

I do have a few questions question though. Firstly, how do you turn off the colored text? Do you just use the code again? Also, would you put the "give/ take item" codes before the string, or does it not matter where you put it as long as it is in there? Thanks again guys.

EDIT: This just popped into my head, but you can do chests this way too if you wanted if you are using the signpost script.

Edited by Anthus, 22 January 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#11 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

1. You "turn off" colored text by setting the color back to the default.
2. It doesn't matter where in the string the give/take item codes go.

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Oh, okay. That makes sense. And I did throw together a collection of test screens for string codes. It uses only the give, and take item codes, and the "go to string, if item" code, which I think looks the cleanest if you place directly at the beginning of the string, otherwise if you have the item, it will play the old string, and change when it hits the code. Putting it in the beginning changes it from the jump if you have the item. icon_smile.gif

[Get "zstrings test.qst"]

Feel free to open it up, and do as you please and have a look around icon_smile.gif It's basic, but if you play it, they all work smoothly. For the best effect, I'd recommend visiting the cave where you start, and the cave south before heading east. This is a hjuge epic quest icon_deformed.gif with a great ending.

EDIT: Uses 2.50. Not an RC. Not that I think anyone would still be using an RC.. I dunno.

Edited by Anthus, 22 January 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#13 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I really appreciate you taking the time to put this up. Thank you!

#14 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I can't get the file... It wants me to get some "rocket download" that I don't want. can you upload it somewhere else mabye?

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(peteandwally @ Jan 24 2013, 10:56 PM) View Post

I really appreciate you taking the time to put this up. Thank you!

No problem icon_smile.gif I kind of forgot about this actually. Glad it was helpful (even if it was poorly conceived lol)

QUOTE(klop422 @ Jan 30 2013, 05:01 PM) View Post

I can't get the file... It wants me to get some "rocket download" that I don't want. can you upload it somewhere else mabye?

It sounds like you are getting an annoying pop up or something. I don't know of any other decent hosting sites. Most of them are spammy, and have ads, and I'm not paying money for one since I very seldom upload things that aren't screenshots. However, if you want to PM me your email address, or something, I can send it to you directly icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users