Arrows/walls

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

You just have to make sure there is enough solid combos to keep the hookshot from reaching across. =/

#47 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Well take a mountain cliff for example, such as the top edge of one. By default it's 1/2 solid and the hookshot goes across. I made it completely solid, which looked ugly when I walked around it, and the hookshot still went through the cliff if I was touching it. If I was to change the maps around I'd have to redo half the overworld I've already done.

Actually I may have fixed the hookshot problem for now. I just made a separate walkable layer and filled the cliff areas with a transparent solid. I just have to be careful of hookable things next to the cliffs.

Regarding the life gauge, when I turn on 1/4 health mode my gauge disappears when I'm hit for damage to cause a 1/4 graphic. I'm guessing this is because the graphics aren't set up for 1/4. Where do I edit the 1/4 heart tile in the gauge system?

#48 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE(Blue @ Dec 7 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I'm using 2.5 with the arrow block functions, but to use the arrow block functions on walls I have to sacrifice the no-flying-enemies function and it's causing problems.

Aha, I can help you with that. You may have to change your design strategy slightly, though.

When you want to block enemy movement without sacrificing your combo type, open open combo properties and scroll through inherent flags. Near the end there is a "No Enemies" flag. Yes, this will block all enemies, but if the walls your using are unwalkable, the only enemies that are affected that weren't already are jumping enemies.

I recommend using this method on wall combos that are at least one combo away from the walkable portion of the room. That way, flying enemies can overlap the walls slightly, and arrows won't disappear until they overlap the base of the wall a little bit. It will look more natural.

A warning: restricting jumping enemies to the area inside the walls makes them MUCH more dangerous, because they bounce off the "no enemies" combos when they jump into them. Tektites become a much bigger threat than before when you put them in narrow hallways where they can't jump on the walls.

#49 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Dec 8 2009, 05:12 AM) View Post
I recommend using this method on wall combos that are at least one combo away from the walkable portion of the room.

What do you mean, exactly? The way my dungeons look, I usually have the floor, one solid wall, and then the wall border (roof) with the block arrows function. Will it not work correctly if I have that one solid wall "No Enemies"? I read what you said meaning I should have two walls, which is too deep for most places.

I might also be able to do a layer trick with that like I did for my hookshot problem.

Also, the only jumping enemies I have so far are Pols Voice, which are prominent in the second dungeon. I guess this would be dangerous for them, especially considering Pols Voice are already glitchy enough in this engine.

#50 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

No, he's saying you can have a combo that is No Enemies and Block Arrow at the same time. If you set the combo type to Block Arrow, you can set the inherent flag to No Enemies.

#51 Blue

Blue

Initiate

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(Praethus @ Dec 8 2009, 07:08 PM) View Post

No, he's saying you can have a combo that is No Enemies and Block Arrow at the same time. If you set the combo type to Block Arrow, you can set the inherent flag to No Enemies.

Oh, thanks for clarifying.

#52 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE(Praethus @ Dec 8 2009, 03:08 PM) View Post

Yes, that's what I meant. But personally, I think it's best to use the "Block All" feature instead of "Block Arrows" for dungeon walls.

As for how "deep" the walls are... I had a really hard time describing this in words, so I guess it's time for screenshots again.

IPB Image

Okay, so above we have a sample room. Now, look at what the flags look like below.

IPB Image

Those are all the combos that have inherent flags. Everything with a black flag is also a "Block All" combo. Imagine how projectiles would behave if they were limited to that area, rather than comprising the entire wall of "Block All" combos.

What types are the other combos, you ask? Well, that's a bit more complicated, but here's the combo type display screen.

IPB Image

Combo type 54 is "No Jumping Enemies," which effectively means that only flying enemies are allowed on those combos. It doesn't look right when jumping enemies stand on walls, but I think it looks okay for flying enemies to overlap northern walls slightly (since they're higher in the air).
Combo type 110 is "No Enemies." You can accomplish the same thing with inherent flag 96.
Combo type 118 is "Block All," which you saw earlier.
Combo type 43 is "Overhead" combos, which are optional. I use them a lot in the DoR tileset, though.

If you're wondering why there are combos on the outer portion of the screen that have no properties, that's just because I didn't put anything there since this is a test screen. Normally they'd be solid, "Block All" combos with inherent flag #96 (No Enemies).

P.S. - Another thing to note is that the above pictures probably differ slightly from what I have set up in the DoR tileset. My methods of combo design have changed slightly since I released the tileset, and it's a huge amount of work to change all the combos. Most people wouldn't notice the difference, so I figured it wasn't really that big a deal. Besides, many of those features are only available in version 2.5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users