A few questions from a newbie...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

I just found out about this program a couple days ago, and thought it'd be fun to make a game similar to the Oracle games, which are some of my favorite games. Anyway, the point is that I'm completely new to this program, and need some help.

I'm using 2.1, and I can't figure out how to load custom sprites. I downloaded the graphics pack I wanted, but now I can't figure out how to load other graphics in as well. I also want to change the Link it's using, since it doesn't have all the tiles in the one included in the graphics pack. Also, on the subject of graphics, is there a way to make a certain color transparent on objects? I figured out how to place people as tiles, but they have that ugly pink on the corners. Do I have to change the layer or something? This kinda confused me.

Second, I want to have lots of cutscenes and be able to talk with people. I just read the topic about cutscenes, so I'll see if I have trouble with that. The main thing I want to know is if it's possible to go up to a person, press A, and they say something or give you something, or maybe even activate a cutscene. This is a major thing so hopefully I can get some help here. icon_smile.gif

Last, I wanted to know how customizable I can be with weapons and items. I want to use some of the classic Zelda items, such as Roc's Feather, Power Bracelet, etc, but I also want new items. The only one for sure I've come up with is a whip that could have a grappling effect as well as being an attack weapon. I also wanted to include tunics like in the 3D Zelda games. So is any of this possible, or can it be done easily? (I'm hoping, though not expecting it to be the latter)

I appreciate any help.

Edited by Rossk, 23 July 2009 - 02:10 AM.

#2 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE(Rossk @ Jul 23 2009, 03:08 AM) View Post

I just found out about this program a couple days ago, and thought it'd be fun to make a game similar to the Oracle games, which are some of my favorite games. Anyway, the point is that I'm completely new to this program, and need some help.

I'm using 2.1, and I can't figure out how to load custom sprites. I downloaded the graphics pack I wanted, but now I can't figure out how to load other graphics in as well. I also want to change the Link it's using, since it doesn't have all the tiles in the one included in the graphics pack. Also, on the subject of graphics, is there a way to make a certain color transparent on objects? I figured out how to place people as tiles, but they have that ugly pink on the corners. Do I have to change the layer or something? This kinda confused me.

Most graphics packs are shipped as Quest files these days, the thing you want to do is open up the quest and start building from there.

Second, I want to have lots of cutscenes and be able to talk with people. I just read the topic about cutscenes, so I'll see if I have trouble with that. The main thing I want to know is if it's possible to go up to a person, press A, and they say something or give you something, or maybe even activate a cutscene. This is a major thing so hopefully I can get some help here. icon_smile.gif

2.10(not 2.1) doesn't have the fancy stuff like Scripting. Scripting is required for most instances of NPCs. Theres a guide on doing it the 2.10 way, I think, but its really ugly gameplay, and I'd recommend against it. Someone else can hand you the guide on that.

Last, I wanted to know how customizable I can be with weapons and items. I want to use some of the classic Zelda items, such as Roc's Feather, Power Bracelet, etc, but I also want new items. The only one for sure I've come up with is a whip that could have a grappling effect as well as being an attack weapon. I also wanted to include tunics like in the 3D Zelda games. So is any of this possible, or can it be done easily? (I'm hoping, though not expecting it to be the latter)

You said you were using 2.10. 2.10 doesn't have item customization(except for the "tiles" they use).

If you go up to 2.50 betas, you have much more options, but also things get much more complicated. Are you willing to sacrifice ease of use for flexibility?

Edited by Alestance, 23 July 2009 - 02:25 AM.

#3 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:32 AM

I suppose I could try 2.5, if it really helps. If I do, is it possible to have better scripting as well? And can I copy screens from 2.10 to 2.5? I started on the map for my quest, and if it's possible I don't want it to go to waste.

Anyway, I started reading older topics and I think I figured out most of my graphics problems. Hopefully all that stuff still applies to 2.5. icon_smile.gif

#4 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

any quest saved in 2.10 and below can be opened in 2.5.

#5 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

Oh, that's great. icon_smile.gif

So I downloaded 2.5 build 1027, but the 1029's link is broken. Is there another place to download it?

Edited by Rossk, 23 July 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#6 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

No, shardstorm is the only place that hosts the beta builds.
I'll try re-uploading it, I was having some issues with it while I was commiting.

Just using 1027 is probably ok though.

EDIT:
Ok, 1030 works.

#7 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hmm...I'm still having a lot of trouble with certain things.

I still don't understand how to make it so you can talk to people. I don't really understand this at all.

I also would like to know if you can place the location of Guys in a building, and if you can animate them. Actually, I don't know how to animate anyone.

Lastly, I'm trying to change the incomplete Link animations to a finished one, but it's messing up the order of the tiles. I can only choose the first one, and the rest are totally wrong. How can I fix this?

I'm really sorry for all the questions, but there aren't any tutorials AFAIK that explain all this stuff. =/

#8 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE(Rossk @ Jul 23 2009, 03:07 PM) View Post

Hmm...I'm still having a lot of trouble with certain things.

I still don't understand how to make it so you can talk to people. I don't really understand this at all.

Welcome to ZC 2.5! Talking people are created using scripts, really. Setting up a script can be confusing, espeically if you don't have a script at all. So, you first need the NPC Script by pkmnfreak.

CODE

import "std.zh"
//NPCs, by Pkmnfrk
ffc script NPC{
    void run(int m, int changedirection, int distance){
        int dx; int dy;
        int ax; int ay;
        int orig = this->Data;

if(distance == 0) distance = 40;
        while(true){
            dx = this->X-Link->X; ax = Abs(dx);
            dy = this->Y-Link->Y; ay = Abs(dy);
            if(changedirection != 0){
                if(ax < distance && ay < distance){
                    if(ax <= ay){
                        if(dy >= 0) this->Data = orig;
                        else this->Data = orig+1;
                    }else{
                        if(dx >= 0) this->Data = orig+2;
                        else this->Data = orig+3;
                    }
                }else this->Data = orig+(changedirection-1);
            }
            if(Link->InputA && ax < 24 && ay < 24 && Link->Z == 0){
                Link->InputA = false;
                Screen->Message(m);
                do Waitframe();
                while(Link->InputA)
            }
        Waitframe();
        }
    }
}

Heres how you set up the script:

Open up notepad, and copy that code into it. save it as anything you like, but MAKE SURE that the file extention is ".z"
instead of ".txt"

Import it into ZC by going into Quest -> Scripts -> Compile ZScript -> Import

and select the file you just saved.

Let me know when you've accomplished this.

I also would like to know if you can place the location of Guys in a building, and if you can animate them. Actually, I don't know how to animate anyone.

Most people see those "Guys" as obsolete, using the script above, you will probably never use them again.

Lastly, I'm trying to change the incomplete Link animations to a finished one, but it's messing up the order of the tiles. I can only choose the first one, and the rest are totally wrong. How can I fix this?

Depends on your animation type.

There are 3 main animation types:

*Classic; South and east-west walking are 2 frame, north is 1 frame flipped

*BS Zelda; 3 frame animation, goes 1st, second, 1st, third

*Z3, I believe its 8 frames of animation, I'm not entirely sure.

#9 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

I'm really sorry for all the questions, but there aren't any tutorials AFAIK that explain all this stuff. =/

First, Welcome to PureZC! =)

Oh, don't worry about it Rossk.
We all go through that stage when we first started out in zelda classic.
Here is a tutorial you will find useful.
It will teach you all the basics of zquest that you would like to do.
Note that it will teach you only the basics not the fancy 2.5 features that's currently in beta stages.
Once 2.5 is released, i am sure a tutorial will come out.
If you would like to know how to use features in 2.5, browse the forums or ask any questions you would like and I or another member from the community would be glad to answer them for you.

http://www.ermock.co...ial/index2.html
Follow that tutorial and good luck ;-)

Edited by Christian, 23 July 2009 - 03:02 PM.

#10 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

Thanks guys. icon_smile.gif I saved that script, and I just now did all that stuff. Now I'm about to read through that tutorial.

EDIT: Ok, I read that tutorial, and I figured out how to make people talk. icon_smile.gif

I've got only two more questions for now. First, is there a way to make a certain color transparent on a tile? So far I've been creating new tiles, setting the NPCs over top of the background tiles, then using that. Is that what you have to do, or can I set that pink to be transparent for all tiles?

Second, I found this really good Gerudo sprite that I wanted to use. I tried to add it as a new enemy, but it was barely too tall! Is there a way to make an enemy 2-tiles tall. Or more specifically, could I make one that has a custom height, that's more than one tile would be, but less than two?

Edited by Rossk, 24 July 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#11 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

Grahhh...the problems are endless. I've successfully made a treasure chest, however after Link gets the sword he turns to a tan block, except for when he's facing up. I still can't figure out how to fix Link most of the time anyway, but here it's the worst. Any idea what's wrong?

#12 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:59 AM

Do what I did Rossk when I first started messing around with ZQuest:

Experiment.

Don't start commiting to a huge project while you're still learning the ins and outs of ZQ, it can be overwhelming at first. The more you simply experiment, try new things, build several screens, make an example quest, make a really short quest, etc. the more you will be in tune with the program and soon you will become so used to the interface it be second nature. The greatest tutorial anyone can offer you is through self-learning, trial and error, and learning from your mistakes. When I started that's all I ever did was create tiny little experimental quests to see what I could do, what was possible, and what were my limitations. The more I messed with ZQ the bigger and more expansive my quests became. Take for example your NPC question, as Alestance said NPCs are simplified through scripts in 2.5, but that doesn't mean it isn't hard to do in 2.10. You will find out sooner or later that warps, multiple maps, flags, and layers can all come together to make an experience almost as seamless as if you were using a script in 2.5. To summarize, ZQ is learning experience and I hope that you're already feeling confident that you'll make something great for other players to enjoy for years to come!
I hope this helps you and welcome to PureZC. icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Sorry I wrote so much but it's important you read it.

Oh and future veterans who want to quote me on that for future new users, go ahead.

Edited by MrMister, 25 July 2009 - 04:01 AM.

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(MrMister @ Jul 25 2009, 09:59 AM) View Post
You will find out sooner or later that warps, multiple maps, flags, and layers can all come together to make an experience almost as seamless as if you were using a script in 2.5.

Who told you that icon_eyebrow.gif?
Someone who hasn't seen a script before?

#14 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hey hey now, I said ALMOST as seamless. icon_wink.gif

#15 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

I don't think so. It looks really freaking ugly, and it was the biggest turn-off to any quest I ever played. icon_frown.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users