• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:22 AM

fatcatfan,

The mapmaker isn't intended to work right now is it?
It opens, lets me play with it a bit, but doesn't load a qsu.

Basically you can just see what the gui looks like.

#17 fatcatfan

fatcatfan

• Members

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

Right, that's what I meant that it's just a skeleton.

Edited by fatcatfan, 24 August 2005 - 01:51 PM.

#18 Guest_Lawrence Reyome (Guest)

Guest_Lawrence Reyome (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:23 PM

That reminds me of the old "fake Linux screenshot" which I still have

user posted image

Edited by Lawrence Reyome, 24 August 2005 - 03:23 PM.

#19 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

You crushed my dreams! That screenie is fake? Man that'd the uber-sexable...

Well, this is good and all, but I hope the next release (2.11 is it?) won't be that hard to open... I can't follow that readme... its makes no sense to me... but you said it is just a demo as of now.

Good job, and thanks and stuff icon_smile.gif

#20 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:45 PM

I hope that the concurrent releases of ZQ can be open to the 3 major systems. I'd love to see ZQ on OS X. I would even use it. icon_razz.gif

#21 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:19 AM

Hmmm, perhaps the gui could take after the operating systems skin. Not sure if that is doable, but it would be nice to see it. That's about it from me though.

#22 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:22 AM

Well, if you want the GUI to take after the OS skin, that would require only a little bit of coding in OS X, but Linux and Windows would be hard, unless you mean make resource skins that you can change to...but that would be flawed in design. I know that OS X ZC can use Interface Builder (Builds the Interface) and Xcode (Development tools suite) to give it an OS X interface.. I think.

#23 August Yifu

August Yifu

Magus

• Banned

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

All I would like to see to be happy is the windows version actually making use of the windows GUI, not prentending to. icon_razz.gif

#24 fatcatfan

fatcatfan

• Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

I'm fairly certain wxWidgets takes on the native look and feel of the OS on which it runs, without any coding on the part of the developer. The library handles it all; that's part of the attraction of the library. Depending on what you do, it may not support theming under XP, but otherwise it will look like other interfaces on the particular system.

Edited by fatcatfan, 26 August 2005 - 03:54 PM.

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want the "OS themed" windows idea to be implemented unless it takes hardly any coding at all. Just because having its own GUI theme seems to allow it to run faster than it would otherwise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#26 toaofgamecube

toaofgamecube

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:17 AM

Look, I love ZQuest, and I think a windows-style approach will ruin it for me. Is there any way to at least make the new Zquest have the same graphical style? icon_frown.gif

#27 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:20 PM

I think there shoudl be-
1: editable items, that would allow you to set them for what they do ( let link walk over [water/pit/watever] )
2: edit enemys ( projectile, damage, hp )

#28 fatcatfan

fatcatfan

• Members

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(toaofgamecube @ Aug 27 2005, 09:17 PM)
Look, I love ZQuest, and I think a windows-style approach will ruin it for me. Is there any way to at least make the new Zquest have the same graphical style? icon_frown.gif

Not really. We're switching to wxWidgets because of the limitations of an Allegro GUI. It's theoretically possible to make it have the same style in wxWidgets, by doing all our own custom widget drawing, but that'd a be a lot of work and would defeat the purpose of switching libraries. Maybe someone could design an XP theme that emulates the ZQuest/Allegro GUI? The new ZQuest will probably default to a layout very similar to the old version, so that, combined with an XP (or Mac, or GTK) theme, it would produce something very similar to the original.

Edited by fatcatfan, 02 September 2005 - 02:30 PM.

#29 ZeldaLord

ZeldaLord

Legendary Hero

• Members

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(fatcatfan @ Aug 23 2005, 03:08 PM)
The functionality you currently have - preview mode, isometric and carving modes, etc. - will still remain, but pretty much any view or dialog you now see in ZQuest could become a tabbed view in the the sort of interface you see in the demo.

Preview, isometric and carving modes? Did I miss something? icon_odd2.gif

I assume this will be running at a higher resolution than 320x240, correct? Because I'm worried it'll be too cluttered otherwise.
My only other concern is that the GUI might be too bright. It's already annoying with the white grid in the tile editor, which makes it hard to see what you're doing when using darker colors.

Edited by ZeldaLord, 02 September 2005 - 08:33 PM.

#30 Zacron

Zacron

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

I feel that 320x240 is too small as is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users