It's That Time Again. Feedback Wanted

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

Since that last beta, I've been finalizing a few things. The obligatory super secret area is in, I'm working on the (probably obvious) Bonus Boss, but I've also been adding items and item variations.

A new option the next beta will have is Item Count. The default Medium option is basically the 125 items from Beta 4. Low removes 10 items, most of which were added in later betas so it sort of "goes back in time". Very low is a sort of minimalist run, while still having no empty inventory slots. On the other hand, there is also a High setting, which is sort of the reason for this option in the first place.

On High, there are 10, pretty powerful items added to the quest. However, I've only decided on 9 of them right now.

Level 5 Sword is one of the many special swords from my previous quests. If you find the Master Sword, you can end up with any of 5 variations, while the other Level 4 Swords limit you to pairs of variations that have higher Melee or Sword Beam damage.

Level 3 Wand adds some special feature to it, like a spread or explosive magic.

Level 3 Hammer includes the classic Blast Hammer, plus some other NEW types. Or it could be just pure, high damage. Variations that have any projectile still do more damage with the Hammer itself.

Level 3 Peril Beam, which is mainly there to help out the Level 5 Sword.

The 5 last weapons which vary between runs and you can influence with the Weapon Focus option all get Level 2 upgrades.

For testing purposes, the 10th extra item is just a 5th bottle, but that's boring. I should have another upgrade instead.

A few ideas include a Level 3 Arrow, a second regular Bomb Upgrade, a Level 2 Lens of Truth, or maybe a Level 3 Whimsical Ring. Any suggestions for what the 10th extra item is are welcome, all I ask is it is an upgrade to an existing item that isn't already one of the 9 upgrades listed above.

Oh, and since someone might ask about it, enabling the Bow with Arrows option no longer removes an arrow item from the quest, it instead makes the first arrow found a Level 1.5 Arrow.

And for you rebels out there, you can now carry a lot of Illegal Items at once.

And finally, a fun fact to look forward to. Enabling all the options that add items to the quest (including Fairy Hunt) while also setting the Length to the lowest of 2 causes EVERY item location to be a major pickup (or a Tetrarch Fairy obviously).

As of right now, there are 3 things I NEED to do before the next Beta (Beta 5).

- Choose and add the 10th item for More Items option. (Feedback wanted, as discussed above)
Add a 4th Level 3 Wand variation. [DONE!]
Finish the custom boss of the Super Secret Area [DONE!]

Increase number of Shrines to 9 per Tier [Wasn't even counting this one.]

Edited by HeroOfFire, 17 October 2017 - 07:20 PM.

• WindRobe and CimFighter like this

#2 WindRobe

WindRobe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

This is gonna be exciting for beta 5, cant wait to play it :).

#3 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

As for 10th bonus tem: what about full-screen Lens of Truth (L3)?

• CimFighter likes this

#4 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

As for 10th bonus tem: what about full-screen Lens of Truth (L3)?

YES. I love it

#5 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

Lens of Truth doesn't show everything, so I don't really think a full-screen one would help -that- much.

I'd say make it something a little more unique, but I'm not sure what to suggest.

#6 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

Keep in mind everything added except Peril Beam 3 can vary from run to run. This is more "What item could use another upgrade level" than a single specific item.

Obviously a Lens Upgrade would show more and be cheaper (not free, due to other reasons).

Arrow 3 would do 10 Damage, to close the gap with the additional 12 Damage options. There could be a variation with damaging sparkles (like Arrow 2 Fire Arrow Variation), but not much else.

I think Whimsical Ring 3 is pretty obvious, though the logic would count it as a possible Shrine Prize.

Normal Bomb Upgrade would also be an increase to 10 damage, and could vary between a version that lets you place up to 5 at once or Remote version.

...in retrospect, all of those upgrade options are pretty limited. Maybe there was a reason I asked for suggestions. I'll still use one of them if it's the popular choice.

Technically, any of the following could also get another upgrade (some just have more room for variations than others)

Bomb Bundle (Level 2, might just be a damage upgrade with shorter fuse)

Magic Powder (Level 2, aside from the Fire it creates doing more damage not much room here for this OP item)

Chakram (Level 3, a variation that has damaging "sparkles" is already scripted since it was in Alpha)

Bombchu (Level 2, last longer, more damage, faster, or maybe minor homing)

Slingshot (Level 3, limited unless I add diagonal aiming when shooting a spread of rocks)

Lantern (Level 3, might be redundant due to Candle variations)

In regards to above, Candle 3 already has variations made for the next Beta. Gold is rapid fire, Plasma is a spread, and Nuclear explodes (Yes, Really). Totally original items, never shown up in a quest before. Honest.

Boomerang 3 and Hookshot 3 will eventually get variations, just not in this Beta.

Actually, the list of options is a lot smaller than I first thought. I kinda used up the good ones in the first 9 items already.

So unless I'm overlooking an interesting item to upgrade, the current options are as such:

Arrow 3 - Exactly 2 Variations

Bomb 3 - Exactly 2 Variations

Lens 2 - Exactly 1 Version

Whimsical Ring 3 - 1 or 2 Variations possible, if I make one Crit more often and the other do more Crit Damage

Bomb Bundle 2 - 1 Version, maybe additional variations but they would need to be new scripts

Magic Powder 2 - Exactly 1 Version

Chakram 3 - At least 2 Variations

Bombchu 2 - 1 or 2 Variations possible, if I can add a minor homing feature

Slingshot 3 - 1 Version, 2 or more only if I add diagonal aimed spread shots

Lantern 3 - At least 2 Variations, might overlap with Candle variations

My vote is Chakram 3, as I might be able to add a minor feature for a third variation. Slingshot 3 has potential, but only if I script a bunch of diagonal aimed patterns. But as I've said, I'll go with the popular choice.

Also, any of the variations mentioned above that are unique for the upgrade could always be added for the existing lower leveled items at a later time.

#7 naal

naal

• Members

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:36 AM

How about the Bomberang be the boomerang upgrade from Alpha. I'm not sure if this weapon exists in Mirage Island but what about the Diagonal shooter that uses rupees for ammo from Alpha. What about that laser weapon from Alpha, could maybe be a upgrade for one of the spells. Also is the freeze magic suppose to freeze water like the ice/water wand does?

• CimFighter likes this

#8 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

Lens of Truth doesn't show everything, so I don't really think a full-screen one would help -that- much.

I'd say make it something a little more unique, but I'm not sure what to suggest.

I can see what you mean but I think it would be cool to have, plus it would be less dependent on magic cost. But whatever works, I'm okay with.

#9 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

So, I've basically done everything for Beta 5 except add this 10th item and do a test run to confirm it appears correctly.

Right now, it looks like... Lens of Truth 2 is winning? Seems a little underwhelming for an item that only appears in a mode that adds so many other OP items and only helps with maybe 4 puzzles in the whole quest (one Tier IV Shrine and one Heart Piece/Item cave).

Then again, I also realized nothing says the 10th item has to be the same kind of upgrade each run. Maybe one run gives you Arrow 3, another one has Bomb 3, and another... has Lens 2. But if you want the last item to always be an upgrade for the same item class, just say so.

Anyway, I'll give it a day or so, then add the item and do a test run to try and have the Beta ready for the early weekend.

If the concern is that normal Lens in underpowered, I can always boost the default viewing radius. Those who have 101%ed the previous Beta should know why a Free Lens is redundant.

EDIT: Also thinking about it, maybe you want another Lens so there are 2 to find instead of 1. In which case, what I might propose is adding Lens 2... to BOTH Normal and High Item modes, replacing one of the Empty Bottles (lets be honest, being able to carry 3 full recovery potions is already better than default ZC, 4 is overkill). If I did that, then the SECOND most popular choice would be added as High mode's 10th item.

Meanwhile, I've added a few small secrets and Easter Eggs here and there. If you learn about one secret involving the Options Menu, you can probably assume there are other similar tricks with it. And for those who like to play with All Shrines Required, there may be a few special situations in the logic to have certain groups of themed Shrines all appear. A chime will play if one of these special situations occurs.

In regards to a few suggestions above, Boomerang of Mass Destruction will be a Boomerang 3 variation added later, Laser attack will be a Magic-focus weapon that will be added later (likely next Beta), and Gem Shot is already in (and actually free to use this time).

Edited by HeroOfFire, 18 October 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#10 WindRobe

WindRobe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:37 PM

man cant wait for beta 5 looking really good now :)

#11 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Well, that settles it. Lens of Truth... now has a larger viewing radius.

...what? Lens is really underused in this compared to other quests, and also a key item you don't need until late. That said, I'll keep this in mind whenever I get to "Randomizer Omega" and make sure Lens has more value so the upgrades are actually worth it. I think this also means I should make the next Elder Shrine I add have Lens puzzles, just so that item has more use (that and Ladder 2, which is somehow even less used).

After listing out all the plausible items to upgrade, the best option was obvious. Chakram now has a Level 3 upgrade in this More Items mode, and there are 4 Variations possible.

Beta 5 is OUT! Obviously there is a lot of new stuff to see, but don't forget what was already there. A few hints have been changed that may point you in the right direction for new stuff. Or, you can always stumble into something by abusing the all seeing Lens.

And after all this, I really have no excuse to delay adding custom bosses to the main Shrines and have the boss at Elder Shrine be random each run. Custom bosses (usually) take a while to make, and I need to make a nice number of them that also use parameters to decide which attack patterns they use so you don't see the exact same boss with different HP and Damage in different Shrines too often. On the other hand, that is the one last thing I want for the 1.0 release, so Beta 6 will be the release candidate. Everything else is in, unless I come up with some last minute surprise addition. But there is now way I've planned THAT far ahead, right?

Edited by HeroOfFire, 20 October 2017 - 11:36 PM.

• WindRobe, Ryunaker and CimFighter like this

#12 HeroHyrum

HeroHyrum

Generic angsty teenager

• Members

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

if you really want to get fancy with scripting you can add a new lvl boomerang thats the blade from cave story with a leveling system if you can...

#13 naal

naal

• Members

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:58 AM

What about adding a slowly refilling bomb and arrow bag? Maybe just have this if you chose either of those for your weapon type.

Edited by naal, 24 October 2017 - 02:59 AM.

#14 Spelunker

Spelunker

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

• Members

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:35 PM

Found a bug, went into this room and it was empty.

2IYGhny.jpg

Also, found a typo: (s/b forward)

nUoTKqK.jpg

Edited by Spelunker, 13 November 2017 - 09:38 PM.

#15 naal

naal

• Members

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

I don't think the first one is a bug. You just got a chose one of three free items and you already had all 3 items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users