Thread for Cartoons that aren't Anime.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

We already have an anime thread, but not one for 'western', or non-anime cartoons. So what are/ were some of your favorite shows? Are you watching anything now?

Archer

This is probably my current favorite show. It will not appeal to everyone, but I love this show. I haven't seen seasons 8, or 9 yet, but I liked the vast body of episodes leading up to them.

Futurama

I know a lot of people really hate this show, but I think it has some good moments. I watch it cause it is on Netflix, and I remember watching it when I was younger.

Family Guy

Pretty much same as above. Again, this style of comedy will not appeal to everyone.

Dexter's Laboratory

This was actually my mom's favorite cartoon that I'd watch. There really was nothing else like it, but it has paved the way for shows like Rick and Morty, in a way.

Courage the Cowardly Dog

When I was a kid, there were episodes that actually freaked me out quite a bit. Looking back, I am kind of surprised this show got away with being as creepy as it really was.

Hey Arnold

This is one of my all time favorite shows. I loved everything about it. The art style of the city, the characters, the believability of it all, and just how fun it was to spend time with these characters in their world. With where I grew up, this was probably the show, and characters I could relate to the most.

The Wild Thornberries

Another weird show. I actually hated the character designs here even when I was younger, but I liked the show itself. I remember thinking Eliza Thornberry was the ugliest character ever, but after seeing her dad, well, I see where she gets it. At least she is a good person though, and that's what matters, right?

CatDog

And the list gets weirder, and weirder. I actually didn't care for this show much, but at the time it was on, I had a neighborhood friend, and she LOVED this show (we were about the same age, or within a year of each other at least, but I forget who was older) and she would always insist on watching it when she was there, as opposed to whatever was on CN at that time. I ended up liking the show after that. Side note, she also had Smash 1 (which her mom ended up taking cause it was "too violent") and Yoshi's Story, which I didn't have a chance to play anywhere else lol. I wonder what ever happened to her? Anywho..

Honorable mentions:

Old Spongebob, and old South Park. Yep, those were the days.

Other stuff I used to love, but haven't watched at all recently

Rugrats, PowerPuff Girls, Rocket Power, The Flintstones, The Jetsons (but I liked Flintstones more), Scooby-Doo (original only, fuck Scrappy), and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

That's all I got for now, I might add more to some of these later, or think of more shows I forgot about, but yeah. What are you guys watching, and what are some of your favorites?

• WindRobe likes this

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

I've actually been rewatching all of the CGI Star Wars: The Clone Wars series, as a bit of a "prequel binge" I set out on that began with Episodes I and II, and the series will be followed by III. Only sticking to "canon" though so I'm leaving out the far superior 2D series, but I may go back and watch that too when this is all over.

The show's good honestly, for the most part. Rocky start before it hit its stride. Anything that focuses predominantly on the clones themselves are bound to be great episodes. Well, almost anything; the origins of Order 66 are kind of contentious with me. Plus I'm not big a fan of Nightsisters and some of their magic, and how it's integrated into the show. Also not a big fan of the show's take on Mandalorians, but things get sorted with them by the show Rebels; and to be fair, were I not a fan of the original depiction of Mandalorians/didn't know it existed, it would still be good story. And the way they bring back Maul is kind of stupid... but I enjoy his plot afterward so I forgive it.

Also the Mortis trilogy is strange and dumb. I know it has its fans but it makes no sense to me and has at least one really stupid moment.

Other than that, apart from a bit of filler, show's pretty good. Maybe not the "greatest thing ever" or even from the prequel era like many fans believe, but I'd call it better than the first two prequels at least. Actually I dunno, maybe it's still better than Revenge of the Sith as well.

Speaking of Rebels I'm also watching that, it's a great show but it ends in two weeks and I'm not ready. D:

As for other favorite cartoons of all time, uh, Avatar, SpongeBob, and Fairly OddParents. Before the latter two went downhill that is.

#3 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

Futurama is hated by a lot of people? Eh? All i see in the internet is constant praise for this show, how it stayed consistent for the most part during its run. To me it's actually one of the funniest cartoons ever and i think it's good that it ended before it got stale (unlike a certain other show made by the same people).

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

As for other favorite cartoons of all time, uh, Avatar, SpongeBob, and Fairly OddParents. Before the latter two went downhill that is.

How could I forget Fairly Odd Parents?! That was also one of my favorites, but yes, it has gone downhill quite a bit. The nail in the coffin for me was that new girl character, Crissy, or whatever her name was. Kids who get faries are supposed to be miserable, and this girl seems like anything but. The reason that she "is miserable" is weak af, and just feels like, "Hey! We're out of IDEAS". Butch Hartman also leaving Nick probably won't help it get good again either. I also liked Danny Phantom, but at the time it was new, I wasn't watching cartoons as much.

Futurama is hated by a lot of people? Eh? All i see in the internet is constant praise for this show, how it stayed consistent for the most part during its run. To me it's actually one of the funniest cartoons ever and i think it's good that it ended before it got stale (unlike a certain other show made by the same people).

I think it just depends on who you ask. Like, all my friends hate Futurama, and berate me for watching it, but I like it. :P

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

Futurama is my favorite animated show. I appreciate its cleverness

I like Family Guy and American Dad, but not nearly as much.

I love South Park. It has some episodes I find too gross. But I think the good stuff makes up for it.

I grew up with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Batman.

I like a lot of Nickelodeon shows like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, The Wild Thornberries, Rocket Power and The Fairly Oddparents.

And some other shows like Dexter's Laboratory, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Scooby Doo.

#6 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

old South Park. Yep, those were the days.

[triggering intensifies]

New South Park >>>>>> Old South Park IMO. Social Commentary > Toiler Humor any day.

• Anthus likes this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:57 PM

[triggering intensifies]

New South Park >>>>>> Old South Park IMO. Social Commentary > Toiler Humor any day.

It's not that new South Park is horrible, but I liked it better when it was more or less about the characters reacting to stuff, whereas now, it feels like they have to pander to as many meme/ political issues as they can. The last season I watched all the way was 19, when the introduced the "PC Principle". It was funny for one, or two episodes, but over a whole season, it made me lose interest. Seasons 18, and 17 were decent, but 19 was like, "what the fuck is this gimmick?". Older seasons had more character centered episodes with more focus on individual characters in situations which made it easier to care, whereas now, it seems to be flavor of the month meme-tier stuff.

And for me, it bugs me that more and more episodes focus on Randy. Not that I don't like Randy, but when I see that it is a "Randy episode" I'm just like.. "Eh, I'd rather see any season 1-6 episode now". Even though Randy was a huge player in S1 E3 where the volcano erupts, and I do love Randy, but he's not main character material. This show has always been about these relatable, toilet mouthed kids who grow up around a bunch of idiots. I already know Randy is an idiot. If I wanted to see a dumb-ass bumbling dad type, I'd watch Family Guy, or The Simpsons.

South Park is one of my favorite shows. But the creators themselves have said they want to stop doing it, etc. It is probably just nostalgia talking, cause I was 7 when South Park started, and I'd catch it here and there, but at some point, it became less about the characters, and charm of this redneck mountain village, and more about putting in as many memes, and current event shit as they can fit in in their 6 day animation cycle.

They have always made "current event" episodes here and there, but now, this is almost their entire focus. And they do that cliched, "we pander to both sides" comedy which just feels stale after two decades of that, and a decade of Family Goy, etc. Oh, another gay/ retard/ minority joke. Oof. South Park used to be relevant because there was nothing else like it. Now, there are an endless sea of clones, and after 22 seasons, the creators have all but flat out quit.

Again, to each their own, and comedy is purely subjective, but new SP just doesn't hit the right notes for me.

#8 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Avatar the Last Airbender is so good it is painful : / 

-Strike

• WindRobe likes this

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:37 AM

Felix the Cat (1919)

This cartoon started in the silent movie era. And once it hit its stride it was terrific, especially for the bizarre visual humor where Felix creatively morphs himself and other objects to accomplish tasks (such as climbing airborne musical notes to reach the top of a building). It was revived in the 1950's and 1990's, but I didn't see those.

Betty Boop (Fleischer, 1930)

I loved this hilarious, weird and wonderful cartoon series (including her friends Bimbo, Koko, Grampy and Pudgy) later episodes got heavily censored and became lame, but the great years were wonderful.

Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies (WB, 1930)

How can you not love Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and friends? Special shout out to Yosemite Sam. Mel Blanc is a genius.

Popeye (Fleischer, 1933)

From the same folks who brought you Betty Boop, this series was awesome and hilarious. Just stay away from the 1960's series, it's bad.

Tom and Jerry (1940)

I remember this as a more violent version of something like Tweety and Sylvester. I think there were more modern ones released in the 1990's and maybe they're running together in my mind. It's been a long time. The feature film, where they speak for the first time is horrible.

Inspector Gadget (1983)

I think I liked this? I still remember the theme song, that's about it.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)

Loved this series as a kid, going back to it now there's a lot of cringe.

Captain N: The Game Master (1989)

The Legend of Zelda (1989)

Well excuuuuuuse me, Princess!

The Simpsons (Fox, 1989)

For the first decade, this show was incredible, hilarious and wonderful, then it got really bad.

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! (1989)

The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990)

These were ridiculous, but fun in a way. The literal power ups and sound effects are a running gag. "A reptile-breath tornado, I'm a goner!"

The Ren & Stimpy Show (Nickelodeon, 1991)

Intentionally crude humor, but strangely funny and enjoyable.

Eek! The Cat (1992)

I remember a cartoon with an animal getting scared of monsters that I liked, but I may be confusing this for Courage the Cowardly Dog?

X-Men (1992)

Really great compared to other cartoons for being "serious" and cool. Intellectual Beast was cool, and Wolverine was great. "Tell Cyclops, I made him a convertible."

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (1993)

Off-the-wall, goofy nonsense, I recall this show being pretty bad.

Sonic the Hedgehog aka Sonic SatAM (1993)

This "serious" cartoon was amazing to me as a kid, it was more dramatic and had an ongoing narrative in the continued efforts to overthrow Robotnik's bleak oppressive future. Going back to it, it's not as epic as I thought. Still significantly better than other shows of the time.

Tales from the Cryptkeeper(1993)

I kind of remember this as being more serious and legitimately creepy, but I think I only saw it a few times.

Two Stupid Dogs (1993)

This show amused me, it's intentionally dumb. Not brilliant, but I liked it at the time, for some reason. I wonder what I'd think of it now.

Mega Man (1994)

This was a 6AM cartoon on a channel we rarely got reception for. So the few times I was up early enough I could barely make it out, RIP.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast (CN, 1994)

I remember seeing this a few time when I was younger, and not understanding it.

Spider-Man (Fox, 1994)

I remember watching this, and thinking it was good at the time. Don't remember it very well.

The Tick (1994)

Earthworm Jim (WB, 1995)

Absolutely love these two superhero parody cartoons! Smart, clever and funny!

Freakazoid! (WB, 1995)

Kind of like The Tick and Earthworm Jim, but it was ultimately a lesser show, I still liked it though.

Pinky and the Brain(WB, 1995)

Love Pinky and the Brain! This show was brilliant!

Donkey Kong Country (1997)

It's bad. It's cringe. The musical numbers hurt. I still couldn't help watching it a few times.

South Park(1997)

I hate this garbage.

Courage the Cowardly Dog (1999)

I remember a cartoon with an animal getting scared of monsters that I liked, but I may be confusing this for Eek! The Cat?

Family Guy (Fox, 1999)

I hate this garbage.

Futurama (Fox, 1999)

I liked half of the first season? It quickly became a show I didn't like.

Spongebob SquarePants (1999)

My nephew loved this, I found it mostly annoying, but with some legitimately good moments here and there.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Fox, 2003)

Great series. A serious take on the franchise which brought stories from the original comic books to the screen.

American Dad! (2005)

I hate this garbage.

Chowder (CN, 2007)

My niece loved this. I thought it was alright.

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (CN, 2008)

I've only seen a couple episodes, but I thought it was great!

Edited by Cukeman, 23 February 2018 - 04:15 PM.

#10 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

Gonna split this into two categories: kid shows and adult shows

Adult Shows:

Futurama

I know a lot of people really hate this show, but I think it has some good moments. I watch it cause it is on Netflix, and I remember watching it when I was younger.

Honestly, for its genre, I find Futurama to be a damn near masterpiece. Almost every joke landed for me, and generally doesn't rely on overly forced dark humor for the sake of an uncomfortable laugh (*Cough* modern Family Guy *Cough*). There were very few times where I found a joke to be a bad, and if anything was just a dud. There were a couple bad episodes, but they didn't drag down the show as the episode after it would often end up being one of the best episodes in the series. The series only got better as it went.

BoJack Horseman

As far as shows that haven't been mentioned on this thread, while I personally don't put this show on as high as a pedestal as others, BoJack Horseman is quite good. It has shock humor in some areas, but of course, execution is more important than the actual contents, and as a result, I find it to still be good.

King of the Hill

An important show for shaping me into who I am. I prefer straightlaced humor, and this show killed me as a result. I still love this show to this day, honestly.

Kid Shows:

He-Man

This show is my childhood. Memes aside, there's a surprisingly fun amount of lore to enjoy about the series if you delve as deep as possible. Skeletor is one of my favorite villains in any cartoon.

#11 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

great, i'm not the only one that remember Popeye and Felix ! i liked Tom & Jerry too when i was really young, but onlly the oldest series.

I like a lot American Dad, courage the cowardly dog and Avatar.

There was also a strange cartoon wht a sort of silly bull and a wise turtle that was really strange, i don' remember how it was called. 

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

I've been into Star vs. the Forces of Evil recently. It's actually pretty good. Has a somewhat slow start, but when it picks up, it really picks up. And, unlike certain other shows *coughstevenunivercough*, it doesn't keep falling back on filler that nobody cares about, and has an actually decent release schedule.

As far as favorites... oh boy. Off the top of my head, Over the Garden Wall, The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, and Gravity Falls, in that order. I'd highly recommend all of them, especially OtGW, as it's only 2 hours long in its entirety and it absolutely phenomenal in every way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users