Photo

Screenshot of the Week 480

Jared joelmacool12 Duck ZeldaPlayer Anthus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 480 (64 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:12 AM

joelmacool12 - Now that is how you make condensely packed trees, kids.

Duck - It's a blue forest dungeon that does what it does.  I am not sure what else to say.

ZeldaPlayer - Okay screen design that is mildly detailed, and decent color usage.

Anthus - A functional and busy dungeon screen.  No room for anything else to add to it, as it should be.

Jared - Beautiful screen and beautiful design.  This is the essence of artistic integrity.

Nothing stood out as bad, but Jared's was just too good, thus my vote went to him.

• Jared likes this

#32 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

joelmacool12 - Now that is how you make condensely packed trees, kids.

Duck - It's a blue forest dungeon that does what it does.  I am not sure what else to say.

ZeldaPlayer - Okay screen design that is mildly detailed, and decent color usage.

Anthus - A functional and busy dungeon screen.  No room for anything else to add to it, as it should be.

Jared - Beautiful screen and beautiful design.  This is the essence of artistic integrity.

Nothing stood out as bad, but Jared's was just too good, thus my vote went to him.

Jared.jpg

.. Jared  

Nathaniel , you sure you aren't being over critical' of everyone else's just because is against a firebirds ? 

Strong_Bad_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 09 November 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#33 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

So 'style clash/originality'  is the closed corners?

So Jared wins every contest from now on and we only votes for those who use his own tileset or ones that look alike his as in LTTP?? 

- ' thinking about this formula you guys are using '  reverting back to past contests even those i missed to see what happens.

No, I never implied that. I only said Jared's shot didn't feel "lazy" because the screenshot is literally using a tileset built from ground up. Originality or the lack of style clash isn't required in order to have a good shot in my books. Neither is having enemies. I don't feel right critiquing a shot for what it isn't trying to do, but if you feel okay with doing that, more power to you, I suppose.

I don't really like that attitude you're giving me, but I can live with it.
  • Jared and HavoX like this

#34 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:38 AM

No, I never implied that. I only said Jared's shot didn't feel "lazy" because the screenshot is literally using a tileset built from ground up. Originality or the lack of style clash isn't required in order to have a good shot in my books. Neither is having enemies. I don't feel right critiquing a shot for what it isn't trying to do, but if you feel okay with doing that, more power to you, I suppose.

I don't really like that attitude you're giving me, but I can live with it.

So you are saying ,  

'because the screenshot is literally using a tileset built from ground up.'

It gets most votes, ..??

Yet isn't every other tileset 'built delicately from the ground-up' by their own creators who develop their own game screenshots and tile pieces??  or is just a LTTP exception of some sort?

or is just because jared did a favor for you all making a LTTP smooth tileset to work with that is considered quality over that of lack of it? .

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 09 November 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#35 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

So you are saying ,  

It gets most votes, ..??

Yet isn't every other tileset 'built delicately from the ground-up' by their own creators who develop their own game screenshots and tile pieces??  or is just a LTTP exception of some sort?
or is just because jared did a favor for you all making a LTTP smooth tileset to work with that is considered quality over that of lack of it? .

Again, you missed my point. But I'm not going to proceed with this, since this is going nowhere, I think.

#36 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

So you are saying ,  

It gets most votes, ..??

No, he's explaining why Jared's shot isn't lazy, not why it has the most votes.

It has the most votes because more than just him like the shot. :P

• Shane likes this

#37 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

No, he's explaining why Jared's shot isn't lazy, not why it has the most votes.

It has the most votes because more than just him like the shot. :P

('i amz Just messing with you guys to humor is all .)   !0~^!

nothing serious - this contest just seems chaotic to me, everyone has their reasons they must for who they vote the most.

i tend to over analyze things to pieces at times.  

images.jpg

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 09 November 2014 - 01:56 AM.

#38 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:04 AM

Alright guys, just a friendly little reminder here. Everybody's entitled to their own opinions, and trying to explain to somebody why their opinion is wrong isn't going to get us anywhere. Let's just drop this discussion here. People who think Jared's shot is beautiful can vote for it, people who think it's empty can vote for somebody else, simple as that.
  • Nathaniel, Dawnlight, Shane and 4 others like this

#39 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

I voted for Jared's screen this week, though I really like every screen nonetheless! :)

• Jared likes this

#40 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

In an attempt to not be misconstrued here, I say everything here in a friendly and informative way of how I see things.  I also don't want this to go against Russ's message, so I will make no more comments after this post.  If anybody wishes to hear more from me, you are very welcome to send me a PM.

When I vote in Screenshot of the Week, I vote for what I feel is the best screenshot among those selected.  Plain and simple.  No strings attached.  It doesn't matter what tileset is being used, or what people are doing behind the scenes.  Any graphical choices can make good or bad screens.  Over the years with DoR, for example, I have seen masterpieces, something terrible looking, and plenty in between.  It's what you do with the graphics that counts.  Jared (in my opinion, which should be implied here) is a very good screen designer, and again, in my opinion, he does very well with the graphics he is making use of here.  For me, that is what it's all about.  Also:  One person, one vote.  Most votes win.  That's how it works.  It's fair.  :)
No opinions are universally wrong, but nonetheless they can certainly be defended if one desires to do so politely.

As for why I don't feel the screen is empty (thus not lazy):  Some details are more subtle, and detail also includes what can be walked on.  His screen is full of both subtle and more obvious detail.  You could argue that it's empty of enemies, or that it's empty of other specific things that don't necessarily need to be included, but are nice to have if executed right.  But in general, regarding most aspects of screen design, I find the screen to be complete and well done.  Enemies and other specific objects only make up a small fraction of what goes into a screen when they are there.  The grass he used doesn't require an oversaturation of other details, such as flowers, which of course still exist here, and is thus not overdone.  The particular grass he uses is detailed well enough to the point that it independently defines the main aspect of his ground, and doesn't require a second type of grass tile.  Without it, it's like a teriyaki without the teriyaki sauce (think of solid green being used for grass in comparison); Just a medley of vegetables and rice.  You wouldn't call it a teriyaki without the sauce.

Some weeks I happen to vote for the winner, and some weeks I don't.  My opinion has no dependence on what other people say, although I may certainly listen to them and take them with a grain of salt.  I'm not concerned about whether or not my opinion is popular.

Thank you, and I apologize in advance if the staff find this in any way to be disruptive to the topic.

• Linkus, Shane, Eddy and 3 others like this

#41 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

• Banned

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

It is all okzaz guys.* - I was just being a bitz of a sassy Lizzy last nights.*

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 09 November 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#42 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

With 57.89% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 480 is Subway!

jared_fogle.jpg

Eat fresh!

I mean Jared!

Jared.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:

- joelmacool12 (1 votes [1.75%])

- Duck (5 votes [8.77%])
- ZeldaPlayer (4 votes [7.02%])
- Anthus (14 votes [24.56%])
- Jared (33 votes [57.89%])

• Magi_Hero, Jared and Soma C. like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jared, joelmacool12, Duck, ZeldaPlayer, Anthus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users