The Official Quest Screenshot Critique Thread

• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

Welcome to the new (and hopefully improved) Official Quest Screenshot Critique Thread! icon_smile.gif We're turning over a new leaf here; in that vein, here are some good guidelines to follow when posting in this thread. Basically, it all boils down to getting/giving good feedback, being respectful, and having fun.

Giving Good Critique: When you post in this thread (or anywhere, really) you never want your opinion to be misinterpreted as a personal attack. Giving good, constructive criticism ensures that your intent is always clear and never in doubt. Constructive criticism is focused on two things:
  1. Valid and Unbiased Feedback: Naturally, all of the critiques in this topic will be at least partly influenced by personal opinion. However, make sure that you take the next step! Simply having and stating an opinion isn't good constructive criticism. Always give tangible advice along with it. The purpose of giving a critique is ultimately to offer potential improvement. Without actual advice, it simply becomes listening to yourself speak.
  2. Clear, Understandable, and Relevant Advice: Make sure that you're not rambling or ambiguous in your critique. Simply saying "Work on the palette, it's not very good." isn't very informative, and it doesn't tell your audience what you actually thought was wrong with it. Clearly identify the problems you see in a shot, and suggest specific ways to handle them.
Other than that, make sure that you are being polite and respectful. Remember that you're trying to help somebody out by giving your critique; you stand the greatest chance of having your suggestion implemented when you make it as easy to swallow as possible. Plus, it's just common courtesy. Also, keep in mind that it's totally up to the individual whether to accept your critique. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. If they disagree with your critique, it's not your job to force them otherwise.

Accepting Critique Gracefully: It's easy to get defensive when you've had your shot critiqued. After all, you may have put a lot of work into your product, and it can seem unfair and disappointing when that work isn't well-received. However, there are a few things you can do to make sure that you are thinking logically and not letting your emotions get the better of you.
  1. Stop your first reaction. As I've stated earlier, it's very easy to get defensive, and even angry. However, keep in mind that your negative emotions can often do more harm than good. If you feel like lashing back, take a deep breath, and let your negative emotions run their course. You should only respond once logic has had time to step in and sober you up.
  2. Turn a negative into a positive. It's an unfortunate truth- you will get more negative criticism than praise, and even if you don't, you'll notice the negative criticism a lot more. However, this doesn't mean that there aren't positives to be found! If you get a lot of negative comments on, say, a tile choice, chances are that everything else on your screen is just fine. Don't put words into people's mouths! That's a sure-fire way to let your emotions get the better of you.
  3. Learn from the critique. You're not perfect, and neither is anyone else. So don't treat your screens like they are! There's always room for improvement, so take the time to really let the critique sink in. The more your learn from criticism, the less you get criticized in the future.
  4. Be the better person. If you think that someone is targeting you personally or is being unfair in their critique even after you've taken all of the above steps, don't degrade yourself by going down to their level. Simply ignore the criticism or the critic and move on. People notice this, and will think better of you for rising above pettiness. Even better, you'll feel good about yourself for not dirtying yourself with retaliation.
When we open ourselves up to critique, we are exposing ourselves to a lot. However, there's also opportunity for growth. A thick skin goes a long way.

Dwelling on the Situation: Sometimes, we do make mistakes, and we feel like fools. This is good and healthy! If you feel bad about a mistake you made, then that just means you're human like the rest of us. Don't beat yourself up about it. Learn from the experience and decide "I won't let myself feel like this again."

Other times, we notice that other people have made mistakes. In this case, don't beat them up about it! Remember that you're only human too, and are prone to making the same errors. Making others feel like idiots doesn't help them at all. Helping them realize a mistake and grow from it does.

Ultimately, remember the purpose of the thread: posting and critiquing screenshots. Keep in mind that anything that doesn't fulfill these criteria is off-topic. Tangents are fun, but it's rude to anyone trying to post a screen and get feedback if everyone's to busy talking about something else. Be considerate, and have fun! icon_smile.gif

Interested in viewing the old thread? You still can!

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

I'll start it off!

IPB Image

Keep in mind, I am inspired by THP icon_wink.gif

By the way, it was partly my fault the last thread got locked.
But, I will hold no grudges, and I hope you guys won't either.
A fresh start, no? icon_smile.gif

Edited by Lynker, 16 April 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#3 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

Lynker: The area with the house is good, although I would put in some foliage. The lower part though is plain and ugly. Add some rocks and trees. The shape of the screen is also good. Be careful about putting the fence next to the edge of the screen.

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thank you, Ironfist!
I will add two trees, to fit in. I hope it'll look okay.
And there's fence down a screen, near the mailbox, so don't worry about that icon_smile.gif

#5 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

IPB Image

Even with multiple;e tile editing and palette switching, I cannot perfect this screen. Yes, it is different to my style. Though I feel it is below par. I cannot find any way to really improve on it though. Never less, it was my Screen Rebirth entry, but I decided not to enter and just post here.

#6 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Lynker, solid layout, add some flowers, fallen leaves, and a couple of trees. after that, it'll be perfect. icon_slycool.gif Sepulcher out. *fires grappling hook and escapes through an open window*

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

Very nice, Furion.
I would add some more of that "black" ground in the top right, to give the person playing more room to walk (If you could walk there)
Also, the dirt in the middle is a little bare, I would put some pebbles or rocks.
But VERY nice design, and very original form what you see around here. Amazing job icon_thumbsup.gif

-

Thank you, Sepulcher!
I've changed it up a bit, added some trees already. Going to add flowers, too. Thanks!

Fixed up screen!
IPB Image

Edited by Lynker, 16 April 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#8 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

My new non style clash map

http://www.zcrealm.n...een.php?num=219

#9 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

Nice, Yoshidude, loads better!
But still, they're still too empty. Screens with just roads are too simplistic and boring for a quest, no one likes them much as they seems a waste of space. Know what I mean?

Updated screen, once again, (It was too cluttered in my opinion) except i've added a script: The signpost script!

IPB Image

It says: It's their mailbox, better not read anything...

PS - For people who know, can there be more than one "sign" on the screen? (I also want to make the girls talk icon_smile.gif)

Oh, and please critique!
I think is one of the best screens i've ever done! icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Lynker, 16 April 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Apr 16 2011, 11:23 PM) View Post

Fixed up screen!
IPB Image

The way the screen is set up it is nearly impossible to add a variety of details without crowding the screen. Needless to say, this screen is too crowded, and theres too much detail and not enough walking room.

The bush on the farthest right is too close to the edge of the screen.

My opinion? Rework this screen(and probably the surrounding ones) to allow for more room for the appropriate level of detail you're aiming for.

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Apr 16 2011, 10:50 PM) View Post

My new non style clash map

http://www.zcrealm.n...een.php?num=219

It's a very solid map. I think it's a better idea to stick to smaller houses rather than keeping bigger ones. That FFVI well on the western portion of the screen is style clashy. You're probably better off using the ALTTP well instead.

QUOTE(Lynker @ Apr 16 2011, 11:22 PM) View Post

Nice, Yoshidude, loads better!
But still, they're still too empty. Screens with just roads are too simplistic and boring for a quest, no one likes them much as they seems a waste of space. Know what I mean?

Updated screen, once again, (It was too cluttered in my opinion) except i've added a script: The signpost script!

IPB Image

It says: It's their mailbox, better not read anything...

PS - For people who know, can there be more than one "sign" on the screen? (I also want to make the girls talk icon_smile.gif)

Oh, and please critique!
I think is one of the best screens i've ever done! icon_biggrin.gif

It's a very nice screen. That stump house is excellent. My only gripe on it is the fencing on the east edge. If you're going to have a screen to the right of this, it's not going to link well with it. Oh, and be sure to frame that text to make it more readable.

Edited by Dawnlight, 16 April 2011 - 11:30 PM.

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 17 2011, 12:23 AM) View Post

The way the screen is set up it is nearly impossible to add a variety of details without crowding the screen. Needless to say, this screen is too crowded, and theres too much detail and not enough walking room.

The bush on the farthest right is too close to the edge of the screen.

My opinion? Rework this screen(and probably the surrounding ones) to allow for more room for the appropriate level of detail you're aiming for.

I already fixed it up icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Apr 17 2011, 12:29 AM) View Post

It's a very nice screen. That stump house is excellent. My only gripe on it is the fencing on the east edge. If you're going to have a screen to the right of this, it's not going to link well with it. Oh, and be sure to frame that text to make it more readable.

There won't be a screen on the right.
Thanks about the house, i found it in the database ^__^
I will add a frame, thanks a lot! (Wait, how DO I add a frame? O_o)

Edited by Lynker, 16 April 2011 - 11:35 PM.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

Awesome shots guys icon_smile.gif not much to say since everyone said it.

I'm also aware that the top of the mountain is straight I might but a bend in it to fix it up:
IPB Image
Thoughts?

EDIT:
IPB Image

EDIT 2: Also be aware that the diagonal MC water came from Moo2wo.

Edited by Midnight_King, 16 April 2011 - 11:50 PM.

• Jenny and Joelmacool like this

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

Oooh, M_K! What a beautiful screen!
The new mountain bend is a lot better, by the way icon_biggrin.gif
I could just eat the screen up!
The water also matches wonderfully icon_smile.gif

#15 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

M_K, I'd have the waterfall extent one more tiles downwards. The way it is currently looks odd. The rest of the screen is excellent though. Id think of putting something orange or red on the screen, a bush perhaps where the LttP rock is, just to break the colours up a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users