• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:46 AM

Nice to see these are back up again! I do kinda miss the long list of all the members in the leaderboards rather than just a Top 10 of each category so I can kinda see where I am on each list :P (unless there is a way to see that and I just missed it somewhere)

Edit: And as I say that, I realise how much of an idiot I am to not realise the OP is also updated too. Go me :P

• nicklegends and Joelmacool like this

#32 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

Getting lots of 404s on about everything. : /

#33 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Getting lots of 404s on about everything. : /

Hmmm. Everything works for me at the moment. Is there a chance you're using an old bookmark to the archives page? I recently removed archives-digest.html and trying to access it would definitely give you a 404.

Other than that, it may just be my host that's finicky. Hopefully it will pass soon.

#34 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

I get directed here:

http://sotw.elfracta...ves-digest.html

and here:

https://dl.dropboxus...iles/Sheik.html

both of which are 404s for me.

#35 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

I can confirm. First page Sheik posted won't load at all and page two 404s.

#36 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

The links in this topic's first post should be up to date... If they're not sending you to these pages, something is messed up:

http://sotw.elfracta...ives-page1.html

http://sotw.elfracta...rds-digest.html

http://sotw.elfracta...aderboards.html

Either way, sorry for the confusion.
  • Sheik likes this

#37 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Oh, looks like the archive uses pages now. Talking about the first link in the first post. I liked being able to scroll down endlessly, but now you have to manually click through the pages :( Is there an option to show more on one page?

• nicklegends likes this

#38 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Could you maybe split the older archives into different chunks by year, or something similar? That way, if someone wanted to navigate through older SotW entries, they wouldn't have to scroll through a whole gigantic page...

Oh, looks like the archive uses pages now. [...] I liked being able to scroll down endlessly, but now you have to manually click through the pages :( Is there an option to show more on one page?

OK, you two have to duke it out.. :P

I appreciate the feedback, but I would prefer to keep the archives divided into pages as they are right now. The monolithic page had big demands on both the client (because it was a large page that took some time to load) and the server (because it asked for 600+ images at once).

Admittedly, the page system is inconvenient for viewing SotWs at the middle of the contest's history because of how many clicks it takes to get there. I'll consider ways of making this navigation a little simpler.

#39 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

Admittedly, the page system is inconvenient for viewing SotWs at the middle of the contest's history because of how many clicks it takes to get there. I'll consider ways of making this navigation a little simpler.

i'm not sure how much this would alleviate the problem of reducing clicks, but it might be a bit easier to navigate if pages were separated by chronology rather than x number of entries?  for example, Q1 2013, Q2 2013 etc.  whatever method of chronological separation would work best for the size of pages you want... i used quarters of years as an example because i think that'd be about 12 SotWs per page, which seems reasonable (looks like it already has 12 per page as-is), but you can play around a bit with the size if you want more or less SotWs per page.

it also might help alleviate clicks if next to the page navigation were a dropdown box with all the pages so you could quickjump to a page. (in addition to the older, oldest etc links that are already there) that'd also help you get to pages in the middle a lot easier...

Edited by Rambly, 15 May 2017 - 05:33 AM.

• nicklegends likes this

#40 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:29 AM

Hello everybody!

I just wanted to share some changes I recently made to the stats pages:
  • The Archives can now be navigated by a dropdown box. This should make it much easier to view contests in the middle of SotW's history.
  • Leaderboards now display trends taken over the last ten contests. Who are the up-and-coming stars? Now you can tell!
  • The "details" column of the leaderboard has been moved to your Gallery page. This makes the leaderboards load faster. Access your Gallery by clicking on your username in either the Archives or the Leaderboards.
I'm aware of a few pesky issues including the encoding of names with umlauts. Other than that, if you see anything wrong, please let me know by sending a PM.

That's all. Thanks! :)
  • Neppy, Rambly, Eddy and 3 others like this

#41 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

Sweet! I thought some of my submissions had been lost forever (downloaded them just now) :)
  • Neppy and nicklegends like this

#42 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Neat! Thanks for the effort!

• nicklegends and Cukeman like this

#43 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

How does one get a 0.5 in any category in the leader board? :P

#44 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:50 AM

How does one get a 0.5 in any category in the leader board? :P

Short answer:
Ties.

Long answer:
In the old days of SotW, contests would occasionally end in a tie. For every tie, I split the one "win" among the winners, so those people each received half. (We never had a tie split three or more ways. :() Tying in a contest doesn't stop your active victory streak but causes your streak to increment by 0.5 rather than 1. This happened twice to Teilyr.

Examples of contests that ended in ties are #5, #8, and #58. The vote count in #58 is really misleading since Praethus declared a tie before extra votes were cast. This happened a lot back then and I'm not sure why. It made it a real pain to compile the data when I started the archives project. :P

Ties don't happen anymore. If two or more people have the same vote count when a contest ends, we break the tie using a super secret process.

I'll add your question to the FAQ in an upcoming update. Thanks for asking! :)
  • Anthus likes this

#45 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:18 AM

Short answer:
Ties.

Long answer:
In the old days of SotW, contests would occasionally end in a tie. For every tie, I split the one "win" among the winners, so those people each received half. (We never had a tie split three or more ways. :() Tying in a contest doesn't stop your active victory streak but causes your streak to increment by 0.5 rather than 1. This happened twice to Teilyr.

Examples of contests that ended in ties are #5, #8, and #58. The vote count in #58 is really misleading since Praethus declared a tie before extra votes were cast. This happened a lot back then and I'm not sure why. It made it a real pain to compile the data when I started the archives project. :P

Ties don't happen anymore. If two or more people have the same vote count when a contest ends, we break the tie using a super secret process.

I'll add your question to the FAQ in an upcoming update. Thanks for asking! :)

Huh, thanks for the insight. That makes the most sense. I always assumed ties counted as a win for both. I (possibly incorrectly) remember that back in the day, SotW wasn't always locked right away, and this allowed people to cast votes even after the contest had ended.

Come to think of it, I don't really remember seeing any ties. I suppose getting in on this super secret process probably invalidates its claims of secrecy, and therefore isn't happening. But, I'm asking anyway, if you want to add it to the FAQ too. Here's my own SotW Theory: You guys use the PureZC account to cast the winning vote. :blah:

For what it is worth, I went ahead and got links to all the SotY threads. I was bored, and it's really cool to look back on all of these. 2007's is missing the other entry though.

• Neppy, Shoelace, nicklegends and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users