Photo

Screenshot of the Week 349

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 349 (52 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I voted for Rambly because I really like the BS tileset and think it's severely underused. It's also got a nice, cool palette that fits the cave screen quite nicely.

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

Good turnout this week. Well, down to business.

Nolornbon - It's a good dungeon entrance shot, but you didn't leave a lot of room to add details to the ground and such. Don't get me wrong, it works very well as a dungeon entrance, so don't change anything. It's a very good screen.

Jared - You've clearly found your forte. icon_razz.gif It all looks nice, is layered properly, and, well, it looks great. I'd like to see you try something else though; by all means, don't stop doing what you're good at, but now show us you're good with other types of screens. icon_razz.gif

Cukeman - This is pretty good, symmetrical architecture with nonsymmetrical details that help balance it out. The only bad part is the peahats cuz peahats are evil. *runs* Although seriously job well done. icon_thumbsup.gif

William - The only problem I've ever really had with your shots were how the ground transitioned from a higher to lower level, between those mountain openings there. That issue remains here, but you've addressed it better than I've seen. Maybe it was just never meant to work that way; either way, your shot is flawless otherwise.

skateboarder11 - It's a pretty good design, but the palette is pretty bad... Hurts my eyes in a way; I want to say it's "glaring" but that's not the right word. Other than that, I've really not got much to say on this.

Rambly - My vote went here. I thought I would be different, only to realize you're currently winning. icon_deformed.gif I don't normally like the BS tileset unless someone makes it look good. You've made it look awesome. The one cobweb group on the lower left (next to the one on the edge of the screen) looks a bit unnatural, but other than that, great screen, well done. icon_smile.gif

#18 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

I might as well comment this week since I submitted and everything. I don't feel very articulate right now though so I'm kinda forcing myself to write. Is it obvious? ._.

Nolornbon: It's really interesting as a dungeon entrance. I don't have much to say about it that hasn't already been said--it looks like something from the kind of quest I'd actually enjoy playing. Not exactly super cool eye-popping eye candy or anything, but it works for what it is.
Jared: It's a pretty good DoR screenshot. I feel like I've seen it a lot of times before though, and the composition kind of bothers me--all of the walkability is pretty much limited to the upper half of the screen, and yet it still manages to feel too open. The placement of the rock in the top-left part of the screen feels kind of arbitrary, like it was for the sake of keeping the corners closed and not for any real aesthetic reason. I'm probably nitpicking too much, though. icon_blah.gif
Cukeman: Ooh, I like this one! The combining of dungeon entrances to form a new one's already been mentioned, but I also want to point out the usage of ice as a solid "smooth" metallic bronze-y surface by a simple change of palette. I didn't think something like that would actually work, but it does here. So props.
William: I ain't got much to say about this one. Good composition, good tile usage and detailing, good shot. No marks for uniqueness, though. ;[
skateboarder11: I like the concept!! Kind of evokes memories of DragonAtma's project to reduce the classic tileset to two colors. Most classic tileset modifications go for increasing the number of colors you can use instead of decreasing 'n' all. At least this'll get peoples' attention--it's eye-catching, at least, even if it's not impressive on a technical level.
Rambly: Being the crazy obsessive-compulsive person I am, all I can see are the flaws with this shot (and I noticed them almost as soon as I saw my shot among the entries)--that there's too much empty space in the bottom-right, the cobwebs kind of facing the wrong way thing that TS mentioned... but I'm glad people like it, anyway. I kind of submitted this to see if people would like the cave style--which it seems like most of you do, thankfully, so I'll probably do something like this in a future project.

I nulled. My vote probably should've gone to Cukeman though. All of the screens this week were pretty good, so hats off to y'all.

#19 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:31 AM

Had I not entered, I definitely would've voted for Rambly. It's hard to make the BS set look that good, and Rambly did it perfectly. The details, colors, design.... Everything about it. Great work!

#20 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

I went with Nolornbon this week, but was also close to choosing Williams. I liked the majority of this weeks entries, but I am too tired to list pros/cons of each screen. icon_frown.gif Sorries...

#21 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:46 AM

Nolornbon - 3 votes = 6.82%
Jared - 11 votes = 25.00%
Cukeman - 9 votes = 20.45%
William - 6 votes = 13.64%
skateboarder11 - 1 vote = 2.27%
Rambly - 14 votes = 31.82%

Total Votes: 44