Photo

Thunderstorms

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Thunderstorms

Do you enjoy thunderstorms?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Great topic!! I absolutely love thunderstorms, especially at night when it's dark out. As long as they aren't severe, they're wonderful, and I try to enjoy each and every one that comes through. We get a decent amount here in Minnesota, so that makes me happy. Actually, there is one headed straight towards here as I type this.

I like most everything about them, the rain, lightning, thunder, it's all amazing. I can do without the tornados, hail, and severe lightning though, as that damages things, hurts people, and messes up people's lives. We just had a severe storm come through here a few weeks ago, and there is a stretch of farmland that got absolutely pummeled with large hall, destroying a lot of the crops. I noticed today on my drive home from work, that one of said fields was plowed by the owner because there was too much damage. Makes me feel bad for them,  as that's their livelihood.

Anyways, rain and thunderstorms are my favorite type of weather. Thanks for this topic! :D

• Rambly, Anthus and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#17 Joey2216

Joey2216

Junior

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:44 AM

i like them

#18 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:53 AM

I like most everything about them, the rain, lightning, thunder, it's all amazing. I can do without the tornados, hail, and severe lightning though, as that damages things, hurts people, and messes up people's lives. We just had a severe storm come through here a few weeks ago, and there is a stretch of farmland that got absolutely pummeled with large hall, destroying a lot of the crops. I noticed today on my drive home from work, that one of said fields was plowed by the owner because there was too much damage. Makes me feel bad for them,  as that's their livelihood.

ohhh yeah, that really really sucks.  big hail is actually pretty bad.  there was a hailstorm a couple months ago that broke like a bajillion windshields + damaged a ton of roofs + damaged the mall bad enough that apparently they closed for 6 months (!  i guess it flooded?).  we got lucky enough where i live that there were only a couple dents on peoples' hoods, which kinda sucks but nowhere near as bad as having a broken windshield...

#19 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

maybe you will not belive me, but once i saw a snow thunderstorm! it was great, the sky had such strange color and the rumble was different, less loud but longer

Edit : in internet i found that the correct name is thundersnow and it explain whit the rumors was different :

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Thundersnow

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 12 July 2017 - 01:37 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#20 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

Wikipedia article linked above:

"Thundersnow, while relatively rare anywhere, is more common with lake-effect snow in the Great Lakes area of the United States and Canada, the midwestern United States, and the Great Salt Lake. Thundersnow also occurs in HalifaxNova Scotia, sometimes several times per winter season. Bozeman, Montana also sees thundersnow more often than average with these storms typically occurring in April or May. In the United States, March is the peak month of formation; on average, only 6.4 events are reported per year."

Oh hey, that's near where I live. I've seen this a very small handful times, and it always did seem odd to be thunderstorming in winter since thunderstorms are more associated with hot, humid weather. I never knew they had their own name, or were classified differently.

#21 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

maybe you will not belive me, but once i saw a snow thunderstorm! it was great, the sky had such strange color and the rumble was different, less loud but longer

Edit : in internet i found that the correct name is thundersnow and it explain whit the rumors was different :

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Thundersnow

Oh hey, that's near where I live. I've seen this a very small handful times, and it always did seem odd to be thunderstorming in winter since thunderstorms are more associated with hot, humid weather. I never knew they had their own name, or were classified differently.

With being basically in the heart of the Midwest, I have seen this a handful of times, and it's honestly really neat. As Dark Ice Dragon said, the thunder is much less sharp and loud, more like the sky is grumbling because it's so cold out. :lol: I had known that the name was Thundersnow before this, since it has happened here throughout the years, and I remember asking my parents why it was thundering the middle of the winter, and they had told me what it was. I didn't realize that it only happens in certain areas though.

• Rambly likes this

#22 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

There is a t-storm going on here right now!  I often like them, because it changes the monotony that I sometimes experience with weather over several days.  If the weather was always the same, that would be boring.  In most circumstances, I am not scared of them at all, but there might be a few scenarios where it might at least make me nervous, such as being on a boat.

#23 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

I love thunderstorms myself, as long as I'm not out in it. I find them relaxing and I can sleep better during one. I even prefer driving in them as trafffic generally isn't as bad. The exception being when I'm on the freeways in Houston since people there immediately slow down and start braking soon as it barely starts to sprinkle.

#24 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

I like rain, but thunder annoys the hell out of me. It always thunders when I am trying to sleep. 

I am a really light sleeper, above that I have insomnia so it's hard for me to stay asleep. So whenever it thunders it always wakes me up and makes it difficult for me to go back to sleep.

Lightning on the other hand, is actually pretty dope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users