Design Concepts and Ideas

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#61 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:09 PM

Just had a mean idea, inspired by listening to Gang Plank Galleon from Donkey Kong Country. You defeat some kind of scripted boss. You then go to a fake credit screen with the boss music still playing. After a bunch of fake credits, you see a very creepy "The end...?" as the game goes back to a revived boss with little to no warning, hoping to finish you off while your guard is down.

Sample credits:

Concept..........Darknut

Testing.............Octorok

Music..............Leever

The end...?

• Anthus, alek and Astromeow like this

#62 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

I had no idea that happened in donkey Kong. How cool to use it remageadam!

Guns without rednecks

Lv.1 pistol. Average speed and power.
Lv.2 SMG. Lower power but greater rate of fire/speed
Carbine. Fair speed with powerful damage
Lv.3 shotgun. Low range but penetrates enemies strongly
Sniper. full range ass whopping but not as strong

All firearms receive custom rounds and sounds

Only border walls should have combos using block all type to stop projectiles....naturally. walls however shouldn't as it allows secrets puzzles and decent game play space

Air ducts in commercial buildings are accessible with certain wind tunnels using conveyor combos

So much more but I'll thread it

#63 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:48 AM

as overworld a  ruined modern city whit trash on the road and the writers tags on the half destroyed walls, and a dungeon whit meat walls

• Shane likes this

#64 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

Anyone that played Metroid: Zero Mission will recognize this idea. I was thinking about a remake of an old quest where once you beat Ganon and "rescue Zelda", something goes wrong. Very wrong. Now you're stripped of everything except for one weapon (possibly just the Wooden Sword) and have to navigate a large freeform dungeon where your only option is to RUN. Your dinky sword won't do any good, so don't bother fighting. Near the end (there would have to be a few checkpoints with healing stations), you would fight a boss similar in vein to the Ruins Test. Basically, you would only be able to damage it when it flashes a glyph. Otherwise, if you'd hit it while Samus shows on it (Link in this case), you take damage. Once you hit it four times successfully, the orb you shot shows Samus and she will look at herself without her suit then it shows her with her new suit as the three Unknown Items become the Plasma Beam, Gravity Suit and Space Jump. You then go from defenseless to being able to plow through the Space Pirates with ease and are given a few instances to test your new gear.

Now, back on topic, when Link would pass a similar test, he would be taken to an identical but technically different DMap where none of his stuff is disabled anymore. In addition, his Blue Ring upgrades to the Red Ring, Magical Sword to Master Sword and would get Din's Fire so he can access areas he couldn't during the main game. I was thinking of also invisibly adding in a few unspecified perks, such as giving the player the Protection Boots, Heart Ring, Magic Ring and Whisp Ring without informing them, trying to advertise it as being the Red Ring's perks. The Master Sword's beam would obviously emulate the Plasma Beam by being piercing. Like with the source game, the next few screens would give you a chance to test out your new power.

Screen 1 - A bunch of enemies with HP equal to Blue Darknuts attack, but your Master Sword's beam mows the entire line of them down with no trouble at all.

Screen 2 - This room would have a lot of Red Bubbles, but this is where you would find out they're no different than Blue Bubbles, thanks to your awesome new "armor".

Screen 3 - A few enemies and a large spike pit that you discover doesn't hurt you anymore. Gives you a chance to try out your new Mirror Shield.

Granted, I don't know if making a "Zero Quest" of an old quest is a good idea, especially if it would need a massive design overhaul to overcome the original's bland overworld. However, that would be something that would happen after the end of the original game. Just add more stuff, a chance to get items unavailable in the original, a new final boss, then a job well done.

• Anthus likes this

#65 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

I have an idea for fucntional water geysers, as seen in OoT, and MM, that doesn't use scripting. Just some elaborate screen warping and, four versions of the same screen. Admittedly, it's pretty limited in its usefulness, and I haven't fully tested it out yet, but it works on paper.

So lets assume our geyser uses an upside down waterfall graphic. Let's say it is three tiles high. The bottom most tile is a direct warp, not necessarily sensitive. The upper two (or more if its taller) tiles are just overheard combos. Technically, you could use layers for this too, and you might want to, depending on the tile set.

The direct warp is going to take you to an identical screen with the following conditions: All geyser tiles are now 'fast' up conveyors. You can put either solid combos, or direct warp combos on the sides of the geyser, if Link 'falls out'. You can use either one depending on if you want link to be forced to ride to the top before jumping off, or, if you want him to be able to jump out half way up. It's up to you really. This screen will require two warps if you use the non-solid combos on the side. The warps to the side will take you to a 'falling' screen, and the warp at the top will take you to a "top" screen. Let me explain.

The "falling screen" is simple enough in concept. It's a non solid copy of the room with side view gravity. This can be done by copying the screen to another location, and using it as a layer, and checking "use layer X as background" You'll want to copy the screen instead of using it directly cause you will need different geyser combos. Make an outline of solid combos around the geyser. Leave one tile width between the geyser, and invisible solid combo. Now, at the bottom of the geyser, place direct warps that send Link to the original, base screen (the one Link will enter, and exit from in the actual dungeon).

Now, the top screen if our fourth, and final copy of the screen. You have a bit more freedom with this, depending on how you would have these set up. But basically, all this screen does it have a regular tile at the top position of the geyser where link can stand, and you will place direct warps, solid combos, or walk able combos around the top of the geyser with regards to how you want Link to move around. I,e, lets say we have a standalone geyser in a room. at the top, link might just be surrounded by four direct warps to the falling screen. Now, if this geyser leads somewhere then maybe it would be three warps, and a walkable combo. You might want to use another direct warp to take link to the original screen, if the geyser was to move him through the room.

I hope this made sense, I typed it up really fast. I'll probably test it out later, and post some screens, or something, and see if it even works :P

• Shane and Jared like this

#66 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

A Zelda - 'Overworld above a Zelda Overworld,' above or under another Zelda overworld.' giving the illusion the lands you build are much-much more widely 'vast' and you can just walk into town or even a forest, while within it,
another larger field-map or area much like an RPG overworld, but keeping all the real-time Zelda overworld slashing elements to a .qst even atop world maps where you walk into towns.

The giant Link sprite is just to symbolize where you are and battling monsters on the Over world map itself just like in the miniature maps..

within the given main overworld map you could pack Several smaller wide areas within the access of that one map and make the world appear much much larger than any given Zelda game lets it on to actually appear to be.

('travel by foot or vehicles in the sky/Submarines Starships or boats.')

Tales_of_Destiny_II_PSX_16.jpg

ff1_ws_map.jpg64_66.jpg  Final_Fantasy_IV_moon.jpg

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 23 February 2015 - 05:17 AM.

• Magi_Hero and Anthus like this

#67 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Hmmm...You know, that actually makes pretty good sense! In a way, both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks had that idea, so I could see it working for a quest.

• Anthus and SkyLizardGirl like this

#68 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

I have thought about using an overworld like you describe with the Zelda 2 tileset. I started building it too even. I also remember when the FF3 set came out, a lot of people made overworlds, myself included. I think it's a neat idea, that works in other more traditional RPGs, but could easily work in Zelda, so long as the world was still interesting, and packed full of secrets to discover.

A handful of other quest authors have also tried using similar world map type areas, but to my knowledge, there isn't a released quest with one being used.

I wonder if ZC can emulate the mode 7 effects used in FF5/ FF6's world maps on the SNES. I imagine this would be hard, cause even if ZC can scale the current screen, and move it into perspective, the adjacent screens would have to be called with a complex script, and how would scrolling and collisions work? It would be neat though.

#69 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

FYI, Blue_Knight once made a mode-7 heavy sorta-3D engine in ZC. So, it is possible. But FREAKISHLY hard.

• Anthus likes this

#70 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about that. I remember it now though. It was pretty wild. This video is worth seeing if you haven't seen this yet. This is still ZC, believe it or not.

• nicklegends, alek and ChrisHunter64 like this

#71 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about that. I remember it now though. It was pretty wild. This video is worth seeing if you haven't seen this yet. This is still ZC, believe it or not.

Yeah.  That guy was so good at scripting, it was scary.  I hope he's doing well.

#72 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:24 AM

!O_O! OMG Omg OMG OmgOmg
Omg Omg Omg Omg

You could actually do that here in Zelda classic ///????
Practically almost like Minecraft ~!!

If only you could see LINK back-view as you watch him slash his way past enemies this way! ///

Holy -s*** batman ....

Alsos actuallys ' i dids not actually mean in Mode 7'  - i thoughts wasn't possible yets actually.
^Those were just examples of overworld maps. I was actually looking for mostly Non-mode 7 top down snes or nes rpg overworlds back when is what i truly meant.

(Google images search could not find my submarine shots i noticed for FF3 very well.)

I actually had absolutely 'No -idea' Mode 7 was even possible with Zelda classic before. 

But thats like Mode-7 3D+ or something minecraft- style, the overworld maps.

d****mz .. //// find him ~!   Hunt him - whoever did this - hunt him down for these scripting codes." " *

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 24 February 2015 - 06:45 AM.

#73 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

Another idea I had while at work today was having the Castlevania 2 feature of day and night. HOWEVER! It would function similar to it, but not have the annoying "What a horrible night to have a curse." textbox. While you're on any screen flagged as an overworld or BS overworld, all enemies would have their HP doubled while it's nighttime. However, anything they drop in terms of arrow/bomb refills and Rupees are doubled as well. For instance, a Red Rupee would be worth 40 Rupees instead of the standard 20 and an Arrow Refill of 10 would be worth 20. Hearts, magic jars and fairies are unaffected. So if you're strong enough, nighttime would be the best time to Rupee grind at ATMs...err, I mean Red Leevers. That is, if you can cope with their doubled HP. If that's too easy, possibly increase all enemy damage by 1.5x or even 2x during the night as well. Again, dungeon and interior enemies wouldn't be affected.

There could also be some enemies that only show up at nighttime as well that are very powerful and drop great rewards, IF you're willing to risk facing them! One idea was having a Grim Reaper that would follow screen to screen until daytime, you game over, use F6 or defeat it. It would show up if you stay on certain screens too long. Again, specifics would have to be ironed out for balancing purposes. Don't want people getting their faces kicked in left and right, but don't want it to be easy to abuse either.

#74 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

I want to implement a battle gauntlet area where you pay a fee to enter, and battle through rooms of enemies to earn more rupees, or maybe some other prize. This is all simple enough, but here's the twist: The rooms you fight through are random. Let's say there's five 'levels'. I'd make 20 rooms, 4 for each, which Link is warped to via random warps after completing each room. This keeps it interesting, or at least more varied.

Here's an idea. The rooms are randomly selected from 4 different rooms, and clearing them in a fast time takes you to a harder variation of the rooms.

• Shane and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#75 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

I want to implement a battle gauntlet area where you pay a fee to enter, and battle through rooms of enemies to earn more rupees, or maybe some other prize. This is all simple enough, but here's the twist: The rooms you fight through are random. Let's say there's five 'levels'. I'd make 20 rooms, 4 for each, which Link is warped to via random warps after completing each room. This keeps it interesting, or at least more varied.

Here's an idea. The rooms are randomly selected from 4 different rooms, and clearing them in a fast time takes you to a harder variation of the rooms.

Nice! and the possbility to bet a item ? let'say in your quest you can but the wood boomerang, you may bet this and if you superate the arena you will wint the magic one, or the fire, if you are defeat you have to buy the wood again

• Shane likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users