Photo

Screenshot of the Week 608

Joelmacool TheRock Zaxaphone Russ Lüt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 608 (55 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

TheRock
TheRock.png

Zaxaphone
Zaxaphone.png
That pit looks deadly...

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
The Gorons are up ahead. But, are you going to make it there before your Fireproof elixir runs out?

Russ
Russ.png
Quinn starts  the day by gazing out over the Frankenstein of a tileset he lives in.

Lüt
Lut.png
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?! ...oh, the guy who'll sic 'em on you if you complain about the grass color? OK then!

• Jared, Joelmacool and Zaxarone like this

#2 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

Gigi & Merri Superstar Saga

• Members

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:54 PM

Rock: nice attempt but very hard to pull of with that tileset.

Zaxaphone: rethink your life choices.

Joelmacool: very nice! my only issue is that while it is very well designed, it lacks variety.

Russ: earthbound- inspired. nice.

Lut: if i hadnt null voted, this would be my winner, the foliage, the detail, design and color are all very appealing to me. nice shot!

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Voted Joe since the other designs and layouts were on the simplistic side

Edited by Cukeman, 24 April 2017 - 11:39 AM.

• Joelmacool likes this

#4 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Voted for Joelmacool. BOTW reference with a great design.

• Joelmacool likes this

#5 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

Voted for Joelmacool. BOTW reference with a great design.

I knew someone was going to understand the reference :)

• Sparkster likes this

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

TheRock - Looks interesting though I'm not a big fan of the screen overall. The trees at the bottom being stacked up vertically like that look quite bad and not very natural IMO. The screen design in general is alright though, and I do like what's going on at the top of the screen.

Zaxaphone - Looks like a pretty nice screen. I like the layout and the screen design generally looks pretty good. The floor could probably use more detail like more rubble or something, but I like it.

Joelmacool - Pretty nice screen. I definitely see the reference here and it's a nice recreation. The ground and the mountains kinda blend together a bit so it can be slightly hard to look at, but the screen design and attention to detail is pretty good here.

Russ - I'm actually quite a fan of the simple grass tiles and looks cleaner than the default DoR ones. However, that house looks really out of place and very style-clashy which doesn't look too good with the tileset choice IMO. You could probably try to recreate the other tiles in the same style as the house to make things look nicer, but I imagine that would take quite some time to do. Besides that, it's a nice Earthbound-inspired screen anyway.

Lut - Palette looks better this time and the screen looks pretty good, though I feel like the mountains are a bit too straight and feels very boxy. You could try to make the mountains a bit more jagged so the screen won't look like a generic box, but other than that, it's nice.

I voted for Joel this week.

• Joelmacool likes this

#7 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Joelmacool - Pretty nice screen. I definitely see the reference here and it's a nice recreation. The ground and the mountains kinda blend together a bit so it can be slightly hard to look at, but the screen design and attention to detail is pretty good here.

But, you did suggest the mountain type to me while I was making the screen. ;P

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

But, you did suggest the mountain type to me while I was making the screen. ;P

The other mountain type would blend badly too.

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

TheRock

I'm curious to know the context of what's going on here. It seems you got a exterior/interior hybrid going on and it's somewhat nice. It kind of looks boring though, something like this should be more exciting to look at. Add some dirt or grass and arrange the trees more naturally and also make the exterior and interior transition more bigger. The interior looks open and empty. Randomly adding small details and calling it a day isn't going to do it justice. Be more considerate and clever with how you detail screens. Nothing special.

Zaxaphone

Nice Firebird cave shot. I like the detailing and the mild atmosphere. In retrospect of the discussion we had, I'm not sure if I really like those gray lines as I think they should be used more like in Minish Cap as seen here:

GBA--Legend%20of%20Zelda%20The%20%20The%

I think it might look nicer that way. All else is great though, my second favorite screen. But it's also nothing special.

Joelmacool

While you addressed some of my concerns already (like the lava transitions) in Discord, the screen design itself feels really cluttered with all that detail and the screen overall almost looks like the screen is in .jpg format. There's way too much brown going on too. Maybe have different kinds of brown going on maybe, it'd look nicer at least. Or better yet, how about some leaves on those trees? If the dead trees can survive lava, I'm sure some leaves can survive. All in all, it's nothing special.

Russ

My favorite this week. It's not perfect but it has a certain charm that compelled me to vote. I'm not quite sure if this is a serious project or anything, but I would of kept simplifying everything else (like the forest brush, the tree trunks, the bushes and maybe some other stuff) but I guess going by the description of your screenshot it was intentional but still. :P I like the design, it definitely feels like the players home. Despite it being my favorite, it's nothing special I should note.

Lüt

It definitely has that feeling that this is owned property but I still feel the mountains should be a little more natural. Vines in Zelda have always suggested that they can be climbed, so it's a little confusing to see huge vines that might not be actually climbable. I'm not exactly huge on the colours but it works and it definitely helps with a charm the screen has going so I say keep it or even tweak it maybe. It's tied second, it's a nice screen but nothing special.

In conclusion, this week was nothing special. And next SotW will be nothing special. And the SotW after that will be nothing special. And as will many Screenshot of the Weeks after that. (BTW I don't really mean that, it's just a little nonsensical joke.)

• Eddy, Jared, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#10 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

TheRock

I'm curious to know the context of what's going on here. It seems you got a exterior/interior hybrid going on and it's somewhat nice. It kind of looks boring though, something like this should be more exciting to look at. Add some dirt or grass and arrange the trees more naturally and also make the exterior and interior transition more bigger. The interior looks open and empty. Randomly adding small details and calling it a day isn't going to do it justice. Be more considerate and clever with how you detail screens. Nothing special.

The wall was built by somebody to keep people outside of it out. I went with a flowing feel and tried not to add so much stuff on the ground that I think might make the screen feel it has to much. The tree part I never notice it. I might consider changing that in the future. The part that the interior is small, well, the idea is someone broke in only in that little spot, so I can see why it might be better to be more open, but due to this why it's small in the first place, I have no plans on changing this. Thanks for the feedback! I like how you pointed out what I could improve on!

• Shane likes this

#11 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

Joelmacool gets my vote for this week, and Zaxophone was a very close second.

• Joelmacool likes this

#12 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:01 PM

I think Lut's is the most well put together but all 5 are good this week. Lut's stands out for how cohesive this screen is

#13 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:11 AM

TheRock: I have to agree that the line of trees just look odd. It is a little lacking in exterior decoration overall, but nothing that would make me say, wow, I don't even want to try this. So it's a fine screen, just nothing spectacular. Though I do enjoy the top half.

Zaxaphone: I like the somewhat symmetrical but not completely appearance. And the colors work really well. The lines on the ground do look a bit odd though and it's missing something for me. Overall, nicely done though.

Joel: I appreciate the reference, but for me the colors blend together too much. I'd enjoy this more with more variation. Like darker mountains.

Russ: Probably my second favorite. Everything is well put together, though I do agree with whoever said that the house looks a bit out of place.

Lut: And this is where my vote goes. I do agree that it is a bit more boxlike than I'd prefer, but I love the colors in this one. And it makes up for the tiny issue I have with the mountains.
  • CimFighter likes this

#14 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

With 27.08% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 608 is Joelmacool!

Joelmacool.png
The Gorons are up ahead. But, are you going to make it there before your Fireproof elixir runs out?

Congrats on a close win, Joelmacool!!

Voting total:
- TheRock - 2 votes [4.17%]
- Zaxaphone - 12 votes [25.00%]
- Joelmacool - 13 votes [27.08%]
- Russ - 11 votes [22.92%]
- Lüt - 10 votes [20.83%]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool, TheRock, Zaxaphone, Russ, Lüt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users