Metroid Prime 4 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

No. It was confirmed that Retro Studios is not developing it. It will be a new team.

Proof: http://gonintendo.co...team-on-the-job

Okay, so now I wonder if it will be built on a derivative of the engine used for the Trilogy on Wii or if it will be a completely different engine (I guess it is also unclear if it is a 3D or 2D game).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 14 June 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:14 AM

Considering it's a "Metroid Prime" game, and considering the fact that every Metroid game titled "Prime" has been a first-person shooter... safe to say it's 3D.

To preempt the smartasses: Pinball doesn't count.

• Cukeman likes this

#18 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:15 AM

Considering Retro Studios was an unknown when they started the Prime series, I'm fairly open to see how the 4th Prime game will be.  Also, a lot of the original staff that worked on the trilogy have left Retro, so it wouldn't have been the same people anyway.  Here's hoping they do great, whoever's doing it.

#19 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:28 AM

Allegedly the person that directed/led Metroid: Other M has the same job for this Metroid Prime 4. This is worrying if true.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 14 June 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#20 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

Why do people keep saying that? If they're referring to Yoshio Sakamoto, he's on the Metroid 2 remake, not this game.

#21 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

Huh, than either I misread, was misinformed or forgot which game it was in relation to.

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Clickbait title aside, apparently "multiple sources" have confirmed that Bandai Namco is the developer. I'll continue to be cautiously skeptical until it's outright confirmed but the evidence does seem somewhat solid. Now to debate whether or not they're a good dev for this... Supposedly the "confirmed" team is the Singapore branch, and also has some staff from LucasArts Singapore, so I'm not sure if that means their design philosophies fall more in line with western or Japanese developers. If the latter, it might be a little weird going from a game series developed by a western studio to an entry from a more Japanese-ish studio.

Knowing it's a high-profile and successful studio would put me a little more at ease though, I'll admit.

#23 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Namco? Oh no, it's going to be a crossover universe, Samus will use the small and large Pac-Man dots for health and ammo. Samus' regular and charge shots already resemble them!

• Anthus likes this

#24 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

God I hope it's not Japanese developed. Retro did such a good job bringing the style and gameplay of Metroid to 3D, at least with Prime 1. Japanese devs hate shooters, and love to shove in unneeded story, and cutscenes, and focus more on visuals over substance. If a Japanese studio makes it, I see this being more like Other M than the Prime games. If I can be honest, I'm not trying to get too excited to begin with. Metroid Prime 1 was the only good one. They went down hill dramatically from there. :shrug:

#25 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

I like Prime 2 more than Prime 1, but I agree that 3 had issues

• Anthus likes this

#26 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Prime 2 has me more divided and conflicted than any other game possibly ever. There are parts about it I love, but there are also huge things I can't stand. I liked Prime 1 more for the same reason a lot of people didn't like it as much: It was 3D Super, basically. :P

If I could change one thing about Prime 2, it wouldn't even be the darkworld. It would be removing beam ammo, and allowing you to get the Sky Temple keys throughout the game, and not all at the end (like the Chozo artifacts; you need all 12, but you can get most of them at any point along your journey). Okay, that's two things but yeah. I wouldn't mind it if they made it a difficulty setting. Call it "whiny bitches who hate beam ammo in mah Metroid" mode.

Edit: One thing I will say I'm excited about is the potential for the controls to not be ass. We may get GameCube like controls. I loved the first two's controls, even though they aren't traditional two-stick shooter controls. They could also offer a more traditional control scheme since the Switch does have two real, competent sticks. And, they can even satisfy those who liked motion controls, since hey, two joy-cons. I'd be more inclined to use motion controls if I knew a button alt. was right there.

• nicklegends likes this

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

I'd love Prime Trilogy on Switch with options for both motion and standard controls. I'm sure they could work those into Prime 3 somehow.

• Anthus and Jared like this

#28 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

I honestly prefer the motion controls over standard controls for the Prime games, made aiming far easier. It was actually pretty jarring going from Prime 3 to any of the previous games.

Edited by Norzan, 09 February 2018 - 04:59 PM.

• Russ and Cukeman like this

#29 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

allowing you to get the Sky Temple keys throughout the game, and not all at the end (like the Chozo artifacts; you need all 12, but you can get most of them at any point along your journey).

I'd do that as well as delete the Temple Grounds music from the space time continuum. Beam ammo is fine.

I honestly prefer the motion controls over standard controls for the Prime games, made aiming far easier. It was actually pretty jarring going from Prime 3 to any of the previous games.

I agree, the motion controls when configured to the Advanced sensitivity setting are great.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 10 February 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#30 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

I played through the Prime series for the first time when the Trilogy came out a few years back Jesus, nine years ago. The games struck me for how well they communicated the mood of their environments in their graphics, music, and sound design. The puzzles were tricky and the boss fights were clever. At times, I wished the map were more helpful so I didn't have to keep quite as deep a recollection of which passageways were actually available versus which appeared on the map, but that is a minor gripe.

Anyway, I'm excited for Prime 4. I think the extra graphical fidelity of the Switch will make the Metroid universe more immersive than ever. Hopefully the developers can take inspiration from some of the games that have come out in the last decade and add some fresh ideas of their own. I earnestly hope that the game uses motion controls sensibly. Something like Splatoon's setup might work well. (I guess I just want to use my Pro Controller. :P )
  • Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users