• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

A Megaman successor, eh? I think I'll stick to Shovel Knight until these flaws are fixed.

Edited by Dimentio, 24 June 2016 - 03:21 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#62 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

Can you choose levels like in Mega Man?

#63 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Shovel Knight uses a SMB3 style stage selection, right down to Hammer Bros (MiniBosses) showing up and walking around the map.

#64 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

Yes. However, the stages are in sets of 3, with 3 stages in each set. You can do any of the stages in a set in any order, however you have to beat all the stages in the set to move on to the next. This is mostly to split the levels by their difficulty, so that players will have had a good enough skill level when they reach the next set. Gameplay is like Megaman but smoother, music is amazing, and as of the plague of shadows free DLC, there are 2 playable characters, each with their own story. I'd give it a go if I were you.

#65 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:46 AM

Azure Striker Gunvolt seems to be a far mightier number in comparison, honestly.

#66 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:15 PM

I'll be completely honest, the game doesn't seem too bad. My little brother downloaded the demo for the 360, and gave me the controller after he got frustrated. (Not the game's fault, he just gets very easily frustrated) I got a handle on the controls in less than thirty seconds, and it was incredibly responsive when I played it. It felt very much like a Mega Man game, except for the dash mechanic, and even then, it was pretty easy to pick up. I'll admit, I only knew to dash into the boss because I had already read that I needed to do that, but it was still fairly obvious that I was going to need to do that from in-game cues.

I haven't played the full game, but I'd have to say that if it works as well on the 3DS, it would make a great portable game. Yes, it's not as flashy or impressive as the 4 million dollar pricetag would suggest, but on its own merit without all of the background drama, the game (or at least the demo) is pretty good. Definitely something I'd pick up during a decent sale. I just wish that it had come out sooner, so it would have had a lower price on Steam by this point.

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#67 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

Wrong Dina, I was referring to the Dina who EVENTUALLY (as in, way too late) got fired for accusing backers of being misogynists for playing video games, causing many to get their banks to refund the charges.

In her defense, a lot of those backers WERE acting like, if not misogynists, at least spoiled, ignorant shitheads. But from what I've heard she was a terrible community manager anyway so good thing she got the axe.

#68 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

In her defense, a lot of those backers WERE acting like, if not misogynists, at least spoiled, ignorant shitheads. But from what I've heard she was a terrible community manager anyway so good thing she got the axe.

The problem is, she didn't call out misogyny where it happened, but made blanket statements about all gamers, and it STILL took them forever to fire her.

#69 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

A good summary of what happened with the game, even if the negativity is hyped up: https://encyclopedia...Mighty_Number_9

#70 MaeioParty

MaeioParty

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Well that was money wasted. 

Backed this project on Kickstarter a while back after I saw that the guy who made MegaMan was making it.

I am never using Kickstarter.

Ever. Again. 

As far as Dina was concerned, she apparently got in the project via relationships she had with devs on the team despite her having little experience herself. After becoming community manager, she subsequently deleted the tweets suggesting this including one stating she didn't like MegaMan. Frankly, she isn't to blame for the state of the game, that lies with the dev team and what looks like the attempt to force it onto too many platforms. 

Dina did get some legitimate criticism but some of the insults directed towards her were highly derogatory, however.  

Edited by CasualTR, 03 September 2016 - 02:03 PM.

• Anarchy_Balsac likes this

#71 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

A good summary of what happened with the game, even if the negativity is hyped up: https://encyclopedia...Mighty_Number_9

That's one website I'm never going back to.

#72 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

I am never using Kickstarter.

Ever. Again.

Shovel Knight. Undertale. Pillars of Eternity. Elite: Dangerous. Just a small sample of critically-acclaimed games funded through Kickstarter. And the upcoming games Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero look promising. That's leaving off many other games that came and went through Kickstarter that were finished and delivered on their original promises; sometimes more.

This attitude that people have of condemning Kickstarter entirely just because one game didn't turn out as well as they'd hoped is just silly.

• Koh likes this

#73 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

Just another example of why you blame the people and not the outlet.  Kickstarter is there to help make people's dreams come true on both ends.  Some people use it in corrupt ways like Anita Sarkeesian, but others have actually managed to get the funding they need to make their dream product, and return on the investment.  The answer isn't to never use the platform, but to judge the character and actions of those who use the platform, and to use that judgement as a jumping off point for each individual project you're interested in.

Edited by Koh, 06 July 2016 - 05:16 PM.

• Anarchy_Balsac likes this

#74 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

Dina did get some legitimate criticism but some of the insults directed towards here were highly derogatory, however.  

This is true, but it's not saying much.  ANY time you have a macro enough audience, you'll get a mix of eloquent and idiotic responses.  It's the rule, not the exception.

That said, I agree she didn't herself ruin the game, that was Inafune being incompetent in numerous ways (too many projects at once, promising too much [such as regular enemy transformations], doing a 2nd kickstarter for the same game, etc.).  However, it can be said that her inclusion was a symptom of said incompetence(or maybe of the fact that the Japanese have a MUCH WORSE view of gamers than she does).  I think the larger problem is Inafune had little experience outside of writing and directing, which is NOT a skill that helps you to become a CEO.  

Edited by Anarchy_Balsac, 07 July 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#75 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:21 AM

Hello there, old thread.

So, two and a half years later, I finally played this. Steam had it on sale for $4. I have a new computer that can actually run most games now, and stream them, so I gave it a shot. (Like hell I was going to ever play this on Wii U when it was an inferior port that could hardlock.) Probably a good time to do it, now that the dust from the fallout has settled. Now that Mega Man 11 is out and revived the brand.

It's not that bad a game. I definitely understand why it's reviled, considering all the hype built up around it from the Kickstarter, the people involved, and the promise of a "true successor to Mega Man" when the Blue Bomber had been so dormant. A merely-decent game with visuals that don't reflect the budget... won't fit the bill. I get that.

But I didn't hate my time with it. I found that it played really well, and I actually liked the dashing mechanic once I got the hang of it. I thought level design was, for the most part, decent. I enjoyed the soundtrack; some of its tunes still bounce around in my head from time to time. I actually loved how the game got the other Mighty Numbers involved once you beat them, helping you out in some stages. In the final stages you're all working together, even! That's awesome!

... however, it still has plenty of flaws. There's a few too many instant-death obstacles, for example. As well as more "kill all enemies to progress" rooms that do nothing but waste your time; in Mega Man, these rarely happened if they weren't minibosses, which at least justifies it. The voice-acting... is bad. The script writing... is bad. None of these characters have personalities, they have character traits. The cutscenes would be massively improved if there was at least lip-syncing, even if it was faux lip-syncing. I also love when the screen says "Systems ready... Go!" before immediately locking me into a cutscene, which it does at least two times. You couldn't get all this out in a cutscene before the level started?

The bosses are a mixed bag. I actually enjoyed the final boss a lot once I figured it out, and a couple others were fine, but apart from that... they weren't very good. At least one of them (Pyro) has an instant-kill attack that can be hard to avoid before you get the hang of it, and his stage is one of the more annoying. Speaking of annoying stages, Countershade's. You spend the level running an endless looping linear gauntlet through a museum, chasing him, while he lays new traps each time. It could be a cool idea if executed better, but it drags out too long, the level design isn't interesting, and worse, later on he plans electrical wires that are instant death. And you have to restart the entire gauntlet afterward.

Also, it's Mega Man 1 rules again: Invincibility frames don't protect you from spikes.

I also find the dash absorption mechanic to be a bit wasted. The powerups you get are often quite useless. You know what would've made it work better? Remove health pickups, have dash absorption be how you recover health. To balance it, enemies are now easier to kill with the buster, so you have to make sure you only stun them, not kill them, to get the health back. Would also be a godsend on harder bosses. Hell, I even think no reward would be better than the current system in place.

All in all, it's a fine game. I... think I would take just about any classic series Mega Man game over it, admittedly, but I didn't regret the time I spent on it. However, I wouldn't recommend it at $20. A sale would be the best option. Don't buy it for more than $10, but that's just me.

For anyone interested, I uploaded my full stream playthrough to YouTube.

Also I neglected to mention that Sanda is the worst character ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users