• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Mar 30 2013, 08:59 PM) View Post

The current one only searches through titles, yes. That's why we're adding the new search system, to fix the problem the current one has. icon_razz.gif

I'll have to see it firsthand to pass better judgement. I still feel like it won't narrow the searches down enough in the long run.

#32 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 30 2013, 08:58 PM) View Post

I thought the search function only searched through the titles. Because I can swear there have been a number of times I typed in terms on the search bar here, and what I was looking for didn't come up, but when I removed the tags and put one of the terms in the title, it came up.

Err... Maybe you're right. Now that I think about it, I think it may be limited to the title.

Going a little back to tile tags, rather than having tileset-specific tags, there should be tags for what general Zelda style(LoZ, BS, LttP, GB, MC, etc), if any, they're intended to resemble or fit into so that people can search for graphics they know will look right in the tileset they're using.

#33 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Labelling? Could you be a little more specific in the first post for us people not as literate in web design? If I volunteered, what exactly would I be doing?

#34 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(DragonDePlatino @ Mar 30 2013, 10:09 PM) View Post

Labelling? Could you be a little more specific in the first post for us people not as literate in web design? If I volunteered, what exactly would I be doing?

That was already elaborated on a few posts down you know o.o.

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Mar 30 2013, 11:19 AM) View Post

Sorry for not clarifying more about what the labeling was going to be. Someone asked about it, so I figured I'd elaborate.

Basically, the new site offers two new things: quest genres and tile tags.

Quest genres are something that are intended to categorize quests based off of their gameplay and style. Some of these include "NES-style", "Dungeon Romper", "Story-driven" and "Miniquest".

Tile tags are meant to be a more specific way of grouping tiles. The current four tile categories will be changed over to tags, but we'll have a lot more tags as options, including "enemy", "mountains", "greenery", etc. You can have more than one tag associated with a tile. It's basically meant to help people find the precise tiles they want to see.

So the staff and the people who are selected to help out will be tasked with going through all tiles and quests to apply these things so that all current content will be updated and ready for the new site. icon_smile.gif

If anyone else has any questions about the beta, please let me know! We still need at least a few more applicants.

Edited by Koh, 30 March 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#35 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Well, we have gotten a good number of applicants, and I think we have a good idea of who we are going to go for. I'll be sending out PMs tonight to all of the people who offered to help. Unfortunately, we don't really want a huge number of people testing the new site, so not everyone who applied will be hired, but I truly thank everyone who offered to help. icon_smile.gif

#36 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 30 2013, 09:54 PM) View Post

That was already elaborated on a few posts down you know o.o.
Oh, well thanks for showing me that, Koh! It really helped clarify things. ^u^

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Mar 31 2013, 01:38 PM) View Post

Well, we have gotten a good number of applicants, and I think we have a good idea of who we are going to go for. I'll be sending out PMs tonight to all of the people who offered to help. Unfortunately, we don't really want a huge number of people testing the new site, so not everyone who applied will be hired, but I truly thank everyone who offered to help. icon_smile.gif
Awwwww fudge monkeys. You're still not accepting testers? Now that I know what labelling is, I wouldn't mind doing it as things for me are starting to get a little slow and I'd love to label. Another question, when you're labelling, are you going to label them into categories like Pure, DoR, EZGBZ, Ripped, etc?

#37 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

So since the submissions are closed on the 7th is that going to be when the last update on the original site happens?

#38 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

The last content update? Yeah. There will probably be more site status updates including advanced warning of a few things such as when the upgrade will occur, though.

#39 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 30 2013, 06:49 PM) View Post

Here's a better suggestion: Typeable tags. Actually, I really want to know why tags are given from a dropdown list, and whose idea that was. Why can't it be done like Youtube, DeviantArt, FurAffinity, etc. when you submit something and type your own tags? This will allow submitters to be as thorough as possible with their submission. Like if I wanted to submit something for the tileset I'm working on, I'd use the tags:

"Super" "GB" "SuperGB" "Tileset" "Tile" "Set" "Link" "Sprites" "Tamer" "Koh" "TamerKoh" "Dlbrooks33" "Sheet" "Update" "New" "Edit" "Modify"

It can't be that hard to implement a type-in tag system can it? Separated by spaces or commas. Youtube does commas, but the art sites do spaces.

this, this, and so much this. ... I still disagree with a limited tagging system, because it just makes the user feel pigeon-holed into using categories that may not even exist for their specific piece of work. Being able to write your own tags should be part of the system from the get-go, because the pros vastly outweigh any cons you guys have brought up. ... We're a community, let the community report stuff that is improperly tagged, that way the staff doesn't have to police every tiny silly detail. Thanks.

#40 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(Sephiroth @ Mar 31 2013, 11:57 PM) View Post

this, this, and so much this. ... I still disagree with a limited tagging system, because it just makes the user feel pigeon-holed into using categories that may not even exist for their specific piece of work. Being able to write your own tags should be part of the system from the get-go, because the pros vastly outweigh any cons you guys have brought up. ... We're a community, let the community report stuff that is improperly tagged, that way the staff doesn't have to police every tiny silly detail. Thanks.

Yeah, I would definitely be on board with this.

#41 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

As long as there would be some sort of way to moderate tags, i.e. to find the tag "ClasSic" and merge them into "Classic" - Otherwise we'd have a friggin hoarde of tags that should all be under one tag but aren't for whatever silly reason.

#42 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Apr 2 2013, 04:43 AM) View Post

As long as there would be some sort of way to moderate tags, i.e. to find the tag "ClasSic" and merge them into "Classic" - Otherwise we'd have a friggin hoarde of tags that should all be under one tag but aren't for whatever silly reason.

But isn't there a way to compare strings better anyway? I remember there being functions in most programming languages that are like:

toUpper(string)
toLower(string)

So when the system is comparing tags, it could easily pass them into one or the other, so you don't get weirdness like "FoReSt". It'll either be "FOREST" or "forest" depending on which one is used, then any compared tags are also passed through the functions, THEN compared. I feel like this case changing is really not as much of a problem as it's made out to be.

#43 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Oh, case isn't an issue. MySQL is actually case insensitive. But typos or misspellings are.

But regardless, this isn't going to be in the new release. I'm sorry, but that's final. Things are far too close to launch for me to push it back for something like this. If a large number of people complain with the site is released, I'll consider adding it. But I don't think many people will feel "pigeon-holed like you think. Especially since this system is so much better than the current one. icon_shrug.gif

#44 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Apr 2 2013, 06:12 PM) View Post

But regardless, this isn't going to be in the new release. I'm sorry, but that's final.

LTM's banhammer XD. We'll have to see...I have no doubt it'd be improved upon the current system (especially since the current one only searches titles), but I still have the gut feeling it won't be thorough enough in the long run. So when there are number of submissions on the site, well over 1000, and you're trying to find specific tree tiles, just a Tree or Forest tag that yields over 500 results isn't going to cut it.

Edited by Koh, 02 April 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#45 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Apr 2 2013, 05:21 PM) View Post
LTM's banhammer XD. We'll have to see...I have no doubt it'd be improved upon the current system (especially since the current one only searches titles), but I still have the gut feeling it won't be thorough enough in the long run. So when there are number of submissions on the site, well over 1000, and you're trying to find specific tree tiles, just a Tree or Forest tag that yields over 500 results isn't going to cut it.
Well, this goes back to what I said. A full tagging system is perfect for a large site. If we were in a position where we had 500 results for something like trees, I'd be behind you. But seeing as we'll have maybe 30 tops for most of the more specific categories, I think we'll be fine. icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users