Quest with gay characters?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

With Oreo and pride week there's been a lot of talk about homosexuality, for and against, in the world. One of my best friends is in a lesbian relationship and celebrated last weekend, and I'm totally behind their right to live without discrimination. It reminds me however of the videogame industry, which is predominantly targeted toward young adolescent males these days. Are there any 'gay' games out there? Has anyone made a quest with gay main characters here? I was considering making the story of my current quest about the decision to save zelda or a male character as the end (tough luck for the one not picked...). I chose not too though, because I thought it would detract from the accessibility to the quest or incite unnecessary comments. That's my own fault, for pre-judging you guys. At least I can mention it here. What do you guys think about gay themed story lines? Would it prevent you from playing the game? Honestly, I would feel awkward if it was gay men, but wouldn't mind lesbian main characters. I know, I'm a hypocrite. haha

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

First of all, this sounds like it's in the wrong section and should be in the Zelda Classic board. Secondly, it's your quest and you can do whatever you want, and lastly, I don't think people would care, as long as you don't make them stereotypical.

#3 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Bethesda constantly puts gay characters in their games and their sales are through the roof. I don't think having a gay character will hinder your quest's popularity. And to be quite fair, if someone would stop playing your quest JUST because there was a gay character...they're probably not much of a loss to your playerbase.

#4 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Of course people have the need to tell others about where certain posts belong. Just let the dang administration deal with it.

Make a quest how you want, broski. If anyone gets offended over fictional characters being their personalities they should not play the quest, instead of playing through and complaining at the end about rainbows or sunshine. If they don't like it, too bad. I'd play it.

#5 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Since this mostly deals with ZC quests and it has to do with decisions regarding the storyline, I'm moving it to Quest Design Help. That seems to be the best fit.

If someone doesn't play your quest because of a storyline decision you've made, then who cares? It's not like you're losing potential revenue or your source of income just because of a controversial issue being in one of your quests. You have nothing to lose.

#6 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Do whatever you want. Who cares if you have gay characters in your quest? Is this really still an issue?

#7 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Okee Dokee, seems like it's not really an issue. Cool

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm going to reiterate what I said the last time one of these threads came up. It's your quest, do what you want. However, seeing as it is a controversial issue, just don't go nuts. Having gay characters is fine, but don't constantly shove it in the player's face and demand they give it their constant attention. That would just start getting annoying. Basically, there's a balance to everything, so don't go overboard.

#9 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jul 3 2012, 03:37 PM) View Post
I'm going to reiterate what I said the last time one of these threads came up. It's your quest, do what you want. However, seeing as it is a controversial issue, just don't go nuts. Having gay characters is fine, but don't constantly shove it in the player's face and demand they give it their constant attention. That would just start getting annoying. Basically, there's a balance to everything, so don't go overboard.
Let's be fair here, ANY love that's in-your-face and demanding constant attention will get old really quick. That's just a flat-out bad idea.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Well yeah, I gotta agree there. Straight relationships that are shoved into your face every two minutes are just as annoying. But he only mentioned gay ones, so I only talked about those. icon_razz.gif

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I say that you should do as you like, and if you are concerned about controversy you can add a friendly warning about content.

#12 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

It's okay as long as it is gratuitously erotic.

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

Ghirahim doesn't seem all too straight in my books.

A real question would be, would the character be gay or flamboyant? Because Zelda ain't a series that typically involves sex or romance. With the exception of Kafei and Anju from Majora's Mask, romance is almost non-existent.

In my quest there is a guy who's a little bit too obsessed in a hero named Yedit. Almost to the point that it seems gay.

#14 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Well, there was plenty of romance in Skyward Sword between Link and Zelda. Pipit was also a little forward with Link at times.

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well there have been a lot of Zelda characters that certainly seemed to be homosexual:

Ankle, Knuckle, David Jr. in WW (not sure about David Jr.)
Bagu in Zelda II (just kidding)
Dodoh in SS (not sure)
Falbi in TP (beyond reasonable doubt)
Fyer in TP (maybe, maybe not)
Ghirahim in SS
Ichiro, Jiro, Sabooro, Shiro (the slacker carpenters)
Nudge in WW
Tingle (not in MM, but ever since WW)
Tott in WW
Vasu (Oracle Games)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users