Can i use enhaced music on certain screens

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 THEMDODO

THEMDODO

~Gloomy Pictures, Yellow Eyes~

• Members

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

I really want to use an MP3 as a boss theme in my dungeon, but haven't found a way.

Can anybody help me?

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

Not really, it's a shortcoming of enhanced music. You can warp to different DMaps to change music.

Or if you know how to use scripts I got one for this situation here: https://www.purezc.n...=scripts&id=342

• THEMDODO likes this

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:58 PM

The thing to remember here is that a map can have multiple Dmaps on it.  Each Dmap has its own settings.

That means you can also have a warp (Such as in the room right before a boss room.) that leads to a different Dmap on the same physical screen that as the warp.  So it's literally just changing Dmaps while keeping you on the identical screen.

That means you can make a new separate Dmap that has the enhanced music as its music and have it as a Boss Room.  When you walk into the boss room, a warp that looks like the floor will insta-warp you to that same room but in the Dmap that has boss music playing. 

You can also mark a room as "Enemies never return" - So once you kill that enemy, that's it.  It won't return.  Then also mark that room as "Enemies trigger secrets" and the one beneath it so it's permanent.  When the enemy dies, the floor turns into warps (That look like the floor) that warp you back into the boss room, but beyond the first few tiles near the door you came through, and a secret changes those tiles to regular floor so you don't trigger that warp anymore.

Keep in mind that secrets only stay permanent if the room ISN'T a "Dungeon" style Dmap.  You can set individual rooms as Interior or Dungeon in the screen flags menu too.

Ultimately, there are definitely ways to do something like this, but most of them that don't use scripting involve tricking the player into thinking they never warped into an identical screen somewhere else.  It's just a matter of being creative and knowing how to bug-test where you're warping the player to because your boss rooms with or without the boss music look identical because they're supposed to.  None of this is -the- only way to go about doing this.  I'm just giving you some ideas about how it tends to work.

• Matthew and THEMDODO like this

#4 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:04 PM

When you walk into the boss room, a warp that looks like the floor will insta-warp you to that same room but in the Dmap that has boss music playing. 

Why the floor? Use a sidewarp on the edge of the screen leading into the boss room, and make it a 'Scrolling' warp. Otherwise, the music will start playing early!

• THEMDODO likes this

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:40 PM

Absolutely!  I just want to think about what the player will see after the boss is defeated.  Hearing boss music in a room where the boss has already been defeated is all kinds of jarring.

If killing the boss triggers a secret that removes the warp, you get to walk through the room without warping to an identical dmap with the boss music. 

That can be done with the Screen State Carryover area on the 4th tab of the Screen Flags panel (F9)  if you choose to make the warp on the screen before so there's no bothering with a weird transition, though I generally make an actual identical room for that on another Dmap on a separate physical room that looks like the first.  I just don't like to have to manage weird tricks in the same space.  I like to save my sanity at the expense of space and Dmap slider fiddling to ensure I know things are happening exactly the way I want them.

Eh...  I'm one of those people that will make three right turns to avoid a single left turn. :P

• Matthew and THEMDODO like this

#6 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

See, I'd use a script to avoid that. Much simpler.
  • THEMDODO likes this

#7 THEMDODO

THEMDODO

• Members

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

thank you @vanrob. I was actualy thinking about doing that. Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Thank you @ShadowTiger too! i think i'l use your solution :love:.  its the best one.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

Happy to help.  Heck, I'm happy everyone here is happy to help!

The way I see it, scripting is extremely, extremely useful.  It can be anything from a shotgun approach to a sniper approach to a solution, all depending on how you want to do it.

It's also undeniable that using the game's innate engine to accomplish incredible things is a good thing to learn.  The moment that a person realizes  "Wait, I can take this picture of a tree or mountain, make it fully walkable, but also a damage combo AND have an inherent NO-ENEMY flag attached to it!!  WHAT IS THIS EVEN!?"  that's when power just flows into their hands.  

Zelda Classic is, by nature, just a bunch of illusions.  It's how we mix and match all of those different kinds of illusions that makes a quest amazing and creative.

• THEMDODO likes this

#9 THEMDODO

THEMDODO

• Members

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:52 PM

thank you for this awesome comment. I am pretty new to Zquest, so its nice to see people ready to help with anything :love:.

• ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users