Photo

Sonic Mania

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#181 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:50 PM

I'm not sure if the sixth or fifth gave me more trouble but they were both the worst of the bunch for sure. Seven was a cake walk in comparison. Not hazardless, to be sure, but still really easy. By then you basically have mastered the stages anyway.

#182 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Decided to beat Mean Bean Machine today because I was bored. Dear god, are Puyo Puyo games BS without the offset rule (countering garbage puyo)

#183 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Decided to beat Mean Bean Machine today because I was bored. Dear god, are Puyo Puyo games BS without the offset rule (countering garbage puyo)

Play ALL da Puyo games :3.  Come join us on Puyo Puyo VS 2 (free fanware) for some multiplayer funsies!

#184 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

Well, game got cracked so I gave it a go.

Honestly... I mean, it's not bad, but it's really nothing special. The line I keep coming back to is that it feels like a rom hack with a fancy graphics budget. The new zones are really cool... but there's only four of them. So much of the game is retreading old ground through tired stages with little improvements to set them apart from the originals (and in some cases blatantly copy/pasted level design). The only old stages that felt like they differentiated themselves enough to truly be awe-inspiring in their own right were Stardust Speedway 1, Oil Ocean 2, and both Metallic Madness acts (even if the music is pretty awful there).

All in all, it was fun I guess. But I'm also kinda disappointed. The new stuff was REALLY good, but I felt like I could rarely enjoy it because Mr Whitehead kept digging up the dead horse that is the Genesis and beating it til nothing but dust remained.
  • Anthus likes this

#185 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

Mr Whitehead kept digging up the dead horse that is the Genesis and beating it til nothing but dust remained.

I'm still convinced all the retro stages were mandated by Sega so they could tie it into Forces. I have no evidence of this other than Whitehead pitched the game using Studiopolis.

#186 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

Yeah, the original pitch was for an all original Sonic game done in the style it would have been had it been released back on the Saturn, as a "what if" for an original Sonic 4. SEGA decided to go with the retro stages in the same way that they've been doing for just about everything lately. To be completely fair, while staying within the limitations that SEGA set for them, they went with as many of the overlooked or fan-favorite levels that hadn't been represented with multiple remakes already. I believe that Oil Ocean and Chemical Plant were the two stages that were specifically demanded by SEGA (not including Green Hill, since that should be obvious).

Other than that, SEGA was pretty lax on what was and was not allowed. For one thing, Taxman (Whitehead) and Stealth (Headcannon) were brainstorming ideas on what to do for the Chemical Plant boss fight and couldn't come up with anything. At one point, they essentially threw their hands in the air and gave a sarcastic remark along the lines of "Why not just make it a round of Puyo!?" Apparently either Eizuka completely missed the sarcasm, or has a hell of a sense of humor, because they were completely dumbfounded when they got a response of "I'll see what I can do". Thus, the final Chemical Plant boss fight.

You know, the devs are still pretty vocal over on Sonic Retro. They give a bunch of these behind-the-scenes stories if you dig through the discussion thread. Hell, they even show up in the hacking thread occasionally. One guy pointed out how weird it was for them to do their thing and start picking the game apart and theorizing on cut content based on what they find, except that this time around the developers are right there to just flat out tell them. Mysteries aren't quite as much fun when the guys are there to just give you the answers. ("Oh, that spritesheet? Yeah, I just used that to test porting stuff to the new version of the engine. There weren't ever actually plans to use any of those, I forgot to delete that file before sending out the game.")

(Yeah, I'm just used to calling those guys by what they go on over at Retro.)

Edited by kurt91, 13 September 2017 - 12:30 AM.

• The Satellite likes this

#187 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

I love this series. Here, he takes a look at the 3D models used in Sonic Mania.

#188 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

I guess I've changed over the years, I no longer have the patience to sit through a full Sonic game at one sitting (I think it's just awareness of adult responsibilities and the shortness of life honestly). Fortunately I can suspend my No Save file on Sonic Mania in the middle of a playthrough and come back to it later.

Anyway completed a run with the super-peel out. It came in handy a little bit more than I expected, but still pretty limited as the game has puzzle solving bits everywhere. Only thing left is playing through with the Sonic 3 ability.

I just realized Titanic Monarch is heavily based on Metropolis Zone, with the wall flippers and crushing hazards. I also found out something cool- you can ride the electricity with the lighting shield :)

#189 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

I guess I've changed over the years, I no longer have the patience to sit through a full Sonic game at one sitting (I think it's just awareness of adult responsibilities and the shortness of life honestly). Fortunately I can suspend my No Save file on Sonic Mania in the middle of a playthrough and come back to it later.

I just realized Titanic Monarch is heavily based on Metropolis Zone, with the wall flippers and crushing hazards. I also found out something cool- you can ride the electricity with the lighting shield :)

The only Sonic games I've played in one sitting were 1 and 2. Probably cause of not being able to save. :P

Titanic Monarch also has the orbs from the pin ball style special stages in S3. I actually haven't played this for a few days. Mostly cause Samus Returns came out.
  • Cukeman likes this

#190 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

The Sonic 2 remake on mobile has a more modernized menu but it actually saves your progress by act and you can do the 3&K/Mania method of grinding the emeralds on a completed file. Now if only it was on PC where it would have actual controls.

• Anthus, Nicholas Steel and Cukeman like this

#191 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

I might consider getting one of those fancy Android emulators, and trying it, but you apparently need a really beefy computer to do it. Maybe one day, they'll just put it on Steam/ consoles, but I suspect there is some contract BS that they have to wait out, or something.

#192 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:51 AM

The Sonic 2 remake on mobile has a more modernized menu but it actually saves your progress by act and you can do the 3&K/Mania method of grinding the emeralds on a completed file. Now if only it was on PC where it would have actual controls.

I just hope any releases of the remakes include the originals.

EDIT:

Wow, I just learned that Nov 23, 1993 was what Sega called "Sonic Mania Day" when Sonic Spinball, Sonic CD, and Sonic Choas were released. I had no idea Sonic Mania's title was itself an easter egg. Apparently Sonic 2 was released on what Sega called "Sonic 2sday" (Tuesday).

Edited by Cukeman, 19 September 2017 - 03:37 AM.

• The Satellite likes this

#193 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:40 AM

PSA:

• Eddy likes this

#194 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Wow, I just learned that Nov 23, 1993 was what Sega called "Sonic Mania Day" when Sonic Spinball, Sonic CD, and Sonic Choas were released. I had no idea Sonic Mania's title was itself an easter egg. Apparently Sonic 2 was released on what Sega called "Sonic 2sday" (Tuesday).

IIRC, Sonic 2sday was the first ever "promotional launch" of any video game. That's probably one of the main reasons why it sold over 6 million copies. (It was also perfect for your tackle box and covering bald spots, so that helped out as well)

#195 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=TTguAwgm-5s

Very cool. I would like to replay Sonic Mania in 4:3

Not going to hack it, but an update would be neat.

I did wonder playing Mania how much the added visibility would reduce the difficulty (if the designers didn't compensate).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users