• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

Cherry tomatoes are the best ones for me, everything else isn't so nice IMO. But I would gladly eat stuff with tomato ketchup though :P

#17 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

Are tomatoes a fruit or a vegetable? That is the question. Time to go a little off track here.

Botanically speaking: Tomatoes are a fruit because they have seeds in them.

Culinary speaking: Tomatoes are a vegetable because of the flavor.

I like raw tomatoes on pizza. Cooked cherry tomatoes with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic goes great with many dishes. I also enjoy tomatoes on hamburgers and sandwiches, especially if they have some salt in them.

Wait, this is why Tomatoes are the worst fruit, hmmm, let me tell you why. Tomatoes have a slimy texture and are very juicy. By themselves, they really don't have a whole lot of flavor.

#18 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

It is worth noting that the tomatoes you find in grocery stores are about the worst you can get. People want tomatoes to be big and bright red, so that's what the big companies breed and what grocery stores stock. Not only are they not selecting for flavor, but in many cases, the same genes that make them look nice also make them taste bland. If you want tomatoes that taste good, you're better off looking for smaller, duller ones. Really, you should get them from farmers' markets if at all possible. Also, don't refrigerate them.
  • ShadowTiger, Rambly, Anthus and 1 other like this

#19 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

I'll eat any tomato prepared any way. Fried, raw, on stuff, in juice and sauce forms, etc.

#20 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

I'll eat any tomato prepared any way. Fried, raw, on stuff, in juice and sauce forms, etc.

You're crazy!  :P I just looked up fried tomatoes, and I do have to say that they look quite delicious.

This is also my 500th post. It only took 3 and a half years!

#21 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

Tomato soup with grilled cheese is bis. All hail tomato.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#22 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:16 AM

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I should shake your hand for being accurate in accordance to the lore of the universe and referring to Tomatoes as a fruit.

On the other hand, I am now legally obligated to challenge you to a death match for your disdain for the greatest fruit man kind has graced us. Now maybe an inferior fruit obsesser such as yourself may not understand this, but allow me to open your mind.

Tomatoes have far more competitive value than other fruits, you see, which is what puts them at S tier, right above the other fruits. You may be looking at taste and durability as the only stats that matter, but let me tell you, in the competitive fruit judgment scene, tomatoes reign supreme in 3 categories: availability, versatility, and price. You can buy a whole tomato at just about any store. The tomato can be used to make ketchup, can you say the same about other inferior less viable fruit? Lastly, they're cheap, and as a result, while their lack of durability may come off as a bad sign, it causes tomatoes to fall into the category of glass cannon. Glass cannons have had a history in the meta as being just generally more viable than heavy hitters like grapefruit and even the more balanced units like apples and oranges.

So before you go dissing tomatoes, learn the matchup against other fruit before making your judgment.

🍅
  • Anthus, Shane and klop422 like this

#23 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:55 AM

Am I the only one who hates raw tomatoes with a passion? I like tomato soup, ketchup, marinara sauce, etc., but the taste of raw tomatoes absolutely disgusts me. I do not eat tacos, burgers, or sandwiches with tomatoes because they ruin the entire meal for me.

Tomatoes are the worst fruits I've ever had. They aren't sweet, and they have the same texture as an oversized​ grape. Yet, everyone seems to love them besides me.

I'd bet you have not ever eaten a fresh garden-ripe non-GMO tomato before.

What you are describing is bullshit unripe ungodly things sprayed non-stop with chemicals strong enough to kill large mammals, which then contaminate nearby drinking water supplies, then picked green by immigrant workers at 1 cent a tomato then stored in warehouses until they look red and shipped 500 miles from god knows where, where it sits in crates in refrigerated storage until some minimum wage worker puts it on shelves where it decays rapidly until some dumbass gets in their car, drives to a grocer--doesn't matter which one, they're all owned by the same eugenics-inspired elite pieces of crap trying to own the world of men--walk past 18 isles full of things they try to convince people through brainwashing is food, then end up at the last remaining isle in the store that *supposedly* is fresh food, and if you're gullible enough to believe that then you exit the store with something you call a "tomato," that's been marked up by over 1000%, which you are going to regret buying for the rest of your life.

I grow my own garden tomatoes 6-months of the year, where I pick them at perfect ripeness, and I assure you that you probably have never had an actual tomato before. :)

My suggestion for everyone reading this is to learn the difference between food and poison. ~2-cents paid in full.

/end rant
  • ShadowTiger and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#24 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:47 AM

I like my store tomatoes well enough. But now I wanna try a garden tomato.

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

In the winter, we're limited to those crappy ethenol ripened tomatoes, but in the summer we do grow them from seeds and the difference is clear. Some store bought ones are okay if they are organic, but they are still grown indoors which makes them way more expensive.

#26 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

How the heck does Tomatoes get called a Fruit? 

That always bugged me, even though i know it's a fact, it's called that.

I mean are Peppers fruits?  Tomato seems along the family of Bell peppers for example and such with small

seeds all over inside them.

Fruits are supposed to be sweet, Tomatoes are not sweet but tolerable in their own veggie way.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 10 March 2019 - 05:26 PM.

#27 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

just like Yloh explianed , is a fruit becuase it have the seeds and so you right, peppers sould be fruits too,  but then also the green bean  pods should be fruit..

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#28 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Beef is the best mammal.

Botanically speaking, yes, tomatoes are fruits. Berries, in fact. So are eggplants, pumpkins, and (depending on whom you ask) avocados. On the other hand, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are not berries at all.

I don't know why people single out tomatoes for this bit of pedantry. I suspect they're just close enough to what people think of as fruit that it sounds right when they hear it, whereas in the case of, say, zucchini, they just say "Really? Weird." and then immediately forget about it.
  • SkyLizardGirl likes this

#29 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:25 AM

Ooh, Avocados. Every year I think to myself "why didn't I plant some Avocado trees 5 years ago?" But then I think about planting some and realize I won't get any fruit for about 5 years... O_o

Blueberries are definitely berries. Also Dingleberries count... I think.

I've got the Spring crop of zucchini, peas, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce all sprouted. Going to get everything else going this week. Also some more mystical varieties which you have to figure out for yourself. ;)
  • Magi_Hero likes this

#30 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

Ooh, Avocados. Every year I think to myself "why didn't I plant some Avocado trees 5 years ago?" But then I think about planting some and realize I won't get any fruit for about 5 years... O_o
Blueberries are definitely berries. Also Dingleberries count... I think.
I've got the Spring crop of zucchini, peas, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce all sprouted. Going to get everything else going this week. Also some more mystical varieties which you have to figure out for yourself. ;)

It appears that my avocado tree hates me. I have been growing it for 5 years now and I don't have any fruit.

Speaking of, avocados are one of the best fruits.

Edited by Kivitoe, 11 March 2019 - 06:30 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users