[2.53] [VISUAL] Conveyor+DMap change+Intro string oddity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

I've been playing Ballad of a Bloodline DX in 2.53 (Build 31, same as last report) and ran into a very strange behavior. This occurs in the final dungeon, a screen to the right of the entrance:

WhrKyG1.png

The bug starts on this screen, when I scroll the screen to the right from this left going conveyor belt. The next screen over is a new DMap with a palette change and intro string. The intro string plays but towards the end the converyor belt starts moving Link to the left again before I regain control. If I'm holding right, Link will touch the edge of the screen but it doesn't scroll and everything reverts back to the palette of the previous DMap. 

btat9M5.png

Going off the name and music I'd assume it has reverted back to the previous DMap. Going off the map position, something has gone very wrong. Scrolling to the left takes me to the screen I came from, but scrolling to the right takes me to the current screen in the correct map position but still on the wrong dmap. I wish there was a warp to the north so I could see what effect that would produce. 

5xnARWB.png

Returning to the screen again with the intro string done everything works as intended.

Here's a video of the whole thing in motion:

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:21 PM

I've been playing Ballad of a Bloodline DX in 2.53 (Build 31, same as last report) and ran into a very strange behavior. This occurs in the final dungeon, a screen to the right of the entrance:

WhrKyG1.png

The bug starts on this screen, when I scroll the screen to the right from this left going conveyor belt. The next screen over is a new DMap with a palette change and intro string. The intro string plays but towards the end the converyor belt starts moving Link to the left again before I regain control. If I'm holding right, Link will touch the edge of the screen but it doesn't scroll and everything reverts back to the palette of the previous DMap. 

btat9M5.png

Going off the name and music I'd assume it has reverted back to the previous DMap. Going off the map position, something has gone very wrong. Scrolling to the left takes me to the screen I came from, but scrolling to the right takes me to the current screen in the correct map position but still on the wrong dmap. I wish there was a warp to the north so I could see what effect that would produce. 

5xnARWB.png

Returning to the screen again with the intro string done everything works as intended.

Here's a video of the whole thing in motion:

Does this also happen in 2.50.2? It could just be a quest bug of some kind? BoaB DX uses a lot of warps, and instant warps to do stuff. I'd guess that the intro text is on a different DMap than the actual level area.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:37 PM

Does this also happen in 2.50.2? It could just be a quest bug of some kind? BoaB DX uses a lot of warps, and instant warps to do stuff. I'd guess that the intro text is on a different DMap than the actual level area.

The bug is present in 2.50.2. I suspect it may have even been present in 2.10, since it's such an oddly specific scenario. And I can be certain that it's an intro string. You can tell because it has no background layer or extra formatting and persists for a bit before closing on its own. BoaB DX has a lot of dated design choices carried over from the original version, DMap intro strings being one of them.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:58 PM

The bug is present in 2.50.2. I suspect it may have even been present in 2.10, since it's such an oddly specific scenario. And I can be certain that it's an intro string. You can tell because it has no background layer or extra formatting and persists for a bit before closing on its own. BoaB DX has a lot of dated design choices carried over from the original version, DMap intro strings being one of them.

I'll be revamping those in 2.55, or 2.60. As long as it isn't new, and thus my fault.

What i suspect happens here, is this:

The screen to the left, with the conveyors, has a scrolling warp, or some kind of warp set to go to the screen right of it. That screen has an intro string, and then after the intro string, you are insta-warped (or timed warped?) to another DMap. I'm willing to bet that there's a third DMap involved, with a different palette. I can't tell without examining the quest, but I have never seen intro strings much up a DMap palette, and all of that not only makes sense, but it follows the mechanics of how BoaB tended to work.

Watch carefully: That screen starts with a map title of Outer Wall, during the intro string, then changes to Entrance Hell. That seems to indicate a warp happening immediately after the intro string ends. It's probably there, to prevent seeing the intro string repeatedly, likely because CC/TK didn't know that there is now a rule for that.

[...]

Can you confirm if this is the case here? I don't want to start digging around in the quest to find out (if I'm right about there being an intermediate warp after the intro text, versus this being an engine bug of some kind) before I even have a chance to play it.

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:10 AM

Watch carefully: That screen starts with a map title of Outer Wall, during the intro string, then changes to Entrance Hell. That seems to indicate a warp happening immediately after the intro string ends. It's probably there, to prevent seeing the intro string repeatedly, likely because CC/TK didn't know that there is now a rule for that.

The previous DMap was called Entrance Hell. 

Anyways, since you're still skeptical I've fiddled around and created a test quest showcasing the bug and revealing a bit more about what's happening. It appears it's indeed placing me on some kind of phantom screen with aspects from both DMaps. No state set there saves and so it can be used to duplicate items and the such. All scrolling warps behave as if I'm on the previous screen, and so it can be used to get out of bounds. The palette actually does not revert back to the one of the previous DMap usually, that's caused by palette cycling updating it. You can even make a fusion of both palettes if only some colors are cycling.

And here's a download link for the quest file:

https://www.mediafir...ugTest.qst/file

• Russ likes this

#6 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

I'm sorry, but I'm not able to read all of this at this moment, nor access ZC.

At least I can confirm there is no timed warp on the "Outer wall screen". I suppose it's just the combination of a scrolling warp, a conveyer belt pushing Link back and an intro string. I'm guessing Link moves slightly to the left or something during the intro string, activating the scrolling warp, and it resetting the X & Y of Link after the intro text. The intro string is only shown once using that flag you mentioned, by the way.

And the same can be seen in Moosh's reproduction.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:55 AM

Can someone please remind me if we have fixed this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users