Cutscene Help

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheLink

TheLink

An octorok under a duck?!?!

• Members

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

I am making a zquest map and i need a cutscene at the start, but i am unsure how to make it. I am pretty much remaking the oracle of seasons start cutscene where din finds link and waks him up except the character is different to din. I am unsure how to make this. I would like to do it without scripting as i have not done that before, but if its not possible then i guess i would have to use scriping. I was thinking of making an npc for link and the other character, but then there would be 2 links. I know there are ways to make link invisible, but is there a way to do this temporarily and if so how.

I will be grateful for any hep trying to figure this out.

#2 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:33 PM

using 2.5? make a screen where link is invisible screen>screen data> check the following boxes: invisible link, no link marker in mini map and no subscreen

you'll need to use ffc's to move sprites around but if no moving characters you can just use layers

also for text use the empty guy(make sure the tile is a blank it uses tile 259 usually) and set a string you customized in Quests>strings

you will need time warps in the last tab of screen data to warp link  which activate a sidewarp, make sure this is a direct warp to an identical screen make sure you let the time warp give enough time for the cutsceen to appear, 60 tics or more, you can change what goes on on each screen. 

also make sure the actual player is in a place they cant move/walk off screen. and if you have weapons its best to disable them in a dmap, otherwise they could ruin the emersion that's why i usualy use seperate dmaps for cutsceens personally. 

hope this helps :)

Edited by Nightmeres, 21 April 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#3 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

thanks, this helps lots, but for some parts of the cutscenes i will be having the whole screen as an image, so do you know any quick ways to set more than one tile at a time for more than one combo, because the tiles i have are on like page 3000 or something and it wastes alot of time trying to set every single combo seperatly.

Edited by TheLink, 22 April 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#4 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

When editing combos on the combo page? I think when your editing a combo as well as in the tile page you can right click then hit scroll to page and then put in the page you want to to get to. I'm not sure if you can create many combos at the same time. But actually placing on screen you can right click and there are many options that speed up tile placement in that menue. Hope that helps.
  • Anthus likes this

#5 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:36 AM

thx alot, i didn,t know you could scroll down. But also, when i have the timed warp to the next screen it resets the midi, do you know of any ways to make the midi carry on from where it left off.

e.g. on the first screen of the cutscene the music starts and gets quite far through and then suddenly your warped to the next screen and the music resets.

#6 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

Make sure it's a direct warp, insta warp in the actual sidewarp. And I think you can set the music to be in one of the screen data tabs. Not sure, did that work?

Edited by Nightmeres, 22 April 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#7 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

still restarts the music. Do you know anything else that might help?

#8 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

I'll have to check back later, to see cause no access to zc at the moment. Sorry.

Edited by Nightmeres, 22 April 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#9 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

ok, let me know as soon as you can if possible, thanks.

#10 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:13 PM

do you happen to have the rule messages freeze all action unchecked? quest>rules>messages freeze all action, this needs to be checked in order for it to work

Edited by Nightmeres, 22 April 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#11 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:47 AM

i checked that rule, but the music still restarts.

i did notice thought that whenever it happens with the warp, there is an opening wipe, even though i have all opening/closing wipes unchecked, would the wipe effect it?

Because the music stops when the wipe starts, and then restarts when the wipe finishes.

Edited by TheLink, 23 April 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#12 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

using 2.5? make a screen where link is invisible screen>screen data> check the following boxes: invisible link, no link marker in mini map and no subscreen

you'll need to use ffc's to move sprites around but if no moving characters you can just use layers

also for text use the empty guy(make sure the tile is a blank it uses tile 259 usually) and set a string you customized in Quests>strings

you will need time warps in the last tab of screen data to warp link  which activate a sidewarp, make sure this is a direct warp to an identical screen make sure you let the time warp give enough time for the cutsceen to appear, 60 tics or more, you can change what goes on on each screen. 

also make sure the actual player is in a place they cant move/walk off screen. and if you have weapons its best to disable them in a dmap, otherwise they could ruin the emersion that's why i usualy use seperate dmaps for cutsceens personally. 

hope this helps :)

how do you get them to move where you want?

has anyone made a video on this?

#13 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

[quote name="TheLink" post="995480" timestamp="1461397676"]i checked that rule, but the music still restarts.
i did notice thought that whenever it happens with the warp, there is an opening wipe, even though i have all opening/closing wipes unchecked, would the wipe effect it?
Because the music stops when the wipe starts, and then restarts when the wipe finishes.[/quote][quote name="LikeLike on fire" post="995492" timestamp="1461411611"]

The sidewarp has to be insta warp screen>sidewarps> insta warp and the time warp has to be direct screen>screen data>time warps> check the box that says direct. opening wipes will always reset the music. If the warp is anything else ie enterence/exit, passageway or any of the others. Insta warp is the one without wipes.

how do you get them to move where you want?
Use free form combos screen>Free form combos the X and y directions
has anyone made a video on this?

There is tutorials in the forum
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Af91C9FyMcU There is a video I found

Edited by Nightmeres, 23 April 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#14 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

The sidewarp has to be insta warp screen>sidewarps> insta warp

I can't find the instawarp section on the side warps, also by the way im using 2.5.

the time warp has to be direct screen>screen data>time warps> check the box that says direct.

I have checked direct time warps too.

#15 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

http://imgur.com/dEc0QNp

Check that image out. It's in the types

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cutscene, Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users