enemy editor invisable

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

so, I am using the wonderful lovly editor for more foes, even if that means "a green darknut that shoots firebals".  apparenty the program won't let me do that (nor a shooting peahat)

I also had ripped fish from the FFA set, and imported them into my quest(resulting in needing to recolor them)

so I set them up to walking enemy, I counted the spaces and made around 6 or so fish, using one of the two graphics.  Only two fish work, one that is set to thinking it has only 1W and 1H tile, the other set to behaive like a wizrobe. All the others do not show up.

why does this happen? and why would the fish not work like that?(said fish is going to act as a summoning enemy)

they are set to walking, and only the fish with the wrong "this is how many tiles you use"

so what is this?

(also I have a problem with when you copy paste enemy data for easy copy-paste and edit so I can make a rock shooting aquamantis or something)

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

The enemy editor has many many limitations.

I would go as far as to say that only the walking type enemies can benefit from most of the options available within the enemy editor. I just recommend trail and error to see what you are capable of doing. 

There are some enemy types that cannot be edited in any way shape or form outside of health, damage, and speed. 

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

A fireball shooting darknut isn't too difficult, but there's a few limitations. If you want heat-seeking fireballs, the enemy needs to have a halt rate set, and it will only shoot fireballs when it halts. You can mess with the shot type to make it fire multiple fireballs every time it halts, but it can't fire heat-seeking fireballs while in motion. If you want it to shoot while moving, you can use the rapid fire shot type. The enemy will constantly spew fireballs in a straight line in the direction it's facing as it moves. You have to choose either heat seeking with a halt, or straight forward rapid fire while moving.

As for the animation ... Have you made sure the animation type is set on the first page of the enemy editor? In most cases, custom enemies should be the walking type, and their animations follow the pattern up, down, left, right. So, for example, a 4 frame 4 dir animation would have four tiles for up, four for down, four for left, and four for right, in that order. Enemy types other than walking types often have built in animation types you can't really mess with.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Aevin, 17 September 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#4 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

A fireball shooting darknut isn't too difficult, but there's a few limitations. If you want heat-seeking fireballs, the enemy needs to have a halt rate set, and it will only shoot fireballs when it halts. You can mess with the shot type to make it fire multiple fireballs every time it halts, but it can't fire heat-seeking fireballs while in motion. If you want it to shoot while moving, you can use the rapid fire shot type. The enemy will constantly spew fireballs in a straight line in the direction it's facing as it moves. You have to choose either heat seeking with a halt, or straight forward rapid fire while moving.

As for the animation ... Have you made sure the animation type is set on the first page of the enemy editor? In most cases, custom enemies should be the walking type, and their animations follow the pattern up, down, left, right. So, for example, a 4 frame 4 dir animation would have four tiles for up, four for down, four for left, and four for right, in that order. Enemy types other than walking types often have built in animation types you can't really mess with.

I hope this helps.

yeah. I made a few kinds with variations on color and health and stregnth, and only one of them shows up. I have them as walking type. but the one only shows up when set to wizrobe, it's walking type pals don't. 

I just don't understand how/why the other's don't work.

#5 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

The enemies are difficult to set up without copy-pasting one to use as a base, so I recommend doing that to start. To get a better feel for how it works I suggest quickly making many variants on an enemy type and then smathering them on some screens real quick and then running it. You'll notice that some attributes clash with others, and some wont work at all. Important factors are Halt Rate - Weapons, Page 2 attributes - Bosses, Movement and Step - Flying enemies, etc.. Other than that I am not exactly sure what you mean by "not working".

#6 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

they just don't show up. null and void I guess. maybe it's because i fiddle with halt rates and hunger and homeing.

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Here are the possibilities I can think of why they don't show up. I've had a lot of practice with enemy editor because I don't script, and I like making new enemies. So I've faced many different situations. 

1. sometimes layers have something to do with it, if your quest is layered, try and see what's going on those layers, you'd be surprised.

2. if it's a walking enemy, check to see if you have the "no walking enemy" flag placed on the majority of your screen. 

3. do you have any flags attached to enemies that give them spawning limitations? Like "spawn only if" kind of situations.

4. Are their hp 0? If their hp is 0, they die the moment you walk on the screen. They simply just have no will to live. 

5. Are they invisible? I know, just narrowing down. 

6. Do they have an actual sprite assigned to them? Also, is that sprite set to the old or new slot? Check your quest rules as well. 

Other than that, I've noticed some random instances where enemies won't appear, I am still unable to get slider traps to appear in my quest. Also, I've been working on a boss, but had no will to continue because of complications such as these, so if you've eliminated the above options, than who knows.

I heard that it is not recommended to use the e### type enemies, which I don't know why, because I haven't ran into trouble, but perhaps this is what the problem is. 

#8 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

I heard that it is not recommended to use the e### type enemies, which I don't know why, because I haven't ran into trouble, but perhaps this is what the problem is.

I have never found a problem with using the e### enemy's. I know that some things say they are reserved for scripts but I don't think it is true :-/.

#9 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

The reason you're supposedly not recommended to use those is because future ZC updates may use them up. I wouldn't worry about that; go ahead and use all the enemies you like.

#10 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

NJF: Traps need to be placed by using flags, instead of the enemy placement editor.

Edited by Aevin, 17 September 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#11 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

1. sometimes layers have something to do with it, if your quest is layered, try and see what's going on those layers, you'd be surprised.

how does it affect(or do i use effect?) I do have layers,

2. if it's a walking enemy, check to see if you have the "no walking enemy" flag placed on the majority of your screen. 

no, I don't have it marked. the one enemy is a walking enemy, as are it's kin, it's kin won't work. odd because the one is set to read the tiles as 1w 1h.

3. do you have any flags attached to enemies that give them spawning limitations? Like "spawn only if" kind of situations.

none

4. Are their hp 0? If their hp is 0, they die the moment you walk on the screen. They simply just have no will to live. 

they have HP

5. Are they invisible? I know, just narrowing down. 

ah no. they are not. they are just invalid I guess

6. Do they have an actual sprite assigned to them? Also, is that sprite set to the old or new slot? Check your quest rules as well.

I now have both.

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'm trying to remember how layers cause conflict. This may not be fully accurate to what I remember running into, but if your entire background is set to hookshot/ladder only, but yet none of the combos are solid, it will go unnoticed to you, but not to the program. Same goes for water.

I recently ran into this problem when I saw a few graphics included in a graphics pack where I said "that will make a neat background" and removed its solidity. But enemies would not appear because they were still registered as water combos.

And not just every enemy didn't work either. It seemed like some did work, and some didn't, regardless of type, and it did turn out to be a background conflict.

I haven't come into a situation where there are invalid enemies. They should still appear on the screen, but you'll know the moment you see them if the desired result was reached or not.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 18 September 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#13 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'm trying to remember how layers cause conflict. This may not be fully accurate to what I remember running into, but if your entire background is set to hookshot/ladder only, but yet none of the combos are solid, it will go unnoticed to you, but not to the program. Same goes for water.

ah. no.  I'm not doing that. they are just duds.

#14 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

no, I don't have it marked. the one enemy is a walking enemy, as are it's kin, it's kin won't work. odd because the one is set to read the tiles as 1w 1h.

Setting these numbers has NO effect ingame. :)

#15 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

i thought those numbers tell the enemy how many frames it has.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: enemy, editor, invisable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users