A Hat in Time

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:45 AM

I'm in the third area now. I can't stop playing it. It's just a lot of fun and it's down right addicting. It has a really nice balance between platforming and exploration. My biggest concern was that the levels would be too big and sprawling, but I can say this is not the case. The level design is very varied, and each stage so far has been different from the last. It really reminds me of Sunshine, Rayman 2, and Phyconauts.

It does have a couple rough patches, but they are far and few between and it's really not any worse than anything in Sunshine. I mean that in a good way. This could totally give any 3D Mario a run for its, uh, coins I guess. :P

#17 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

Uh-oh, I borked it.

Obvious level spoilers in the video, but I found an out of bounds glitch :D

Spoiler

• strike likes this

#18 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

I honestly kind of hope this isn't patched out. One of the things that makes the Mario series fun to me is breaking games in interesting ways to either save time or just to be silly.
  • Anthus and strike like this

#19 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

Turns out it's a lot harder to pull off than it looks. I can't replicate it again, but I only tried a handful of times. The game does have some minor graphical glitches, and hiccups, but the design itself is really good, I think. More good news, this game is looking to be much longer than I originally thought. I was expecting a 5-10 hour game, but I'm about 12 hours in, and I'm only just now getting close to 50% on the file select screen, and I'm pretty adept at these types of games (not trying to brag, but it's true).

Out of bounds again. Spoilers, obviously.

Maybe I should have been a beta tester.

#20 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

Guys. This game has a level editor coming soon.

I cannot wait to try that out. I've already beat all that is in the main game.

#21 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

It's nice to see this game is finally out. I've been waiting for this game for years now. But like TS, I'll wait until a possible Switch version comes out.

#22 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

Ok. I've beat the game and gotten all time pieces. In hindsight I think this game is kinda short, but I don't mind it. This was so much fun! I forgot just how much I liked 3D platformers.

This game is very creative and kept being fresh the whole way through. I like all the ideas, the world and the soundtrack. It also has this sillyness to it, which is charming. The pacing of the game is really well done too. This is very much worth playing and I highly recommend it to those who love these kinds of games.

some spoilery criticism

Edited by Avataro, 14 October 2017 - 08:53 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#23 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

I just noticed this, but Hat Kid has the same hair style as BotW Link.

I also agree with most of your points.

also some minor spoilery stuff

Just started a second playthrough, and wow, it's amazing how much faster I'm getting through it. I'm going to try to sit down sometime this weekend, and write a more thorough review, cause this game is really special, and well made. Not flawless, but pretty damn nice all around. I've never wanted a sequel so badly with a newly released game. I usually get bored, or wear it out, but not here. I'm excited to see what kind of levels people will make, even though, if Mario Maker has taught us anything, 90% of them will be horrible :P.

#24 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

One criticism I forgot to mention is the game is actually a bit short, if you compare it to 3D Mario games. It could have used 1 or 2 more worlds in my opinion, but yeah, the game is so well made, I won't hold this against it.

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, especially after beating it once. I was able to 100% it a second time in just under 5 hours. FWIW, It takes me about.. maybe 12 hours to 100% Mario 64? That's about 10 stars an hour, maybe faster for some, but some like the 100 coins can take a while. But with games like these, I'd rather it be short, and amazing, than be long, and have some filler levels. I really think every level here is unique, and does something different. Sure there are overlapping themes, but the levels themselves are just so well done.

They are also apparently releasing two more worlds at some point in the near future, but no official date has been given. Has anyone else played around with any of the workshop stuff? I downloaded virtually every level I could, and most of them are actually pretty fun.Even the ones that are supposed to be like kaizo levels are fair to a degree.

Minor plot McGuffin spoilers

• Avaro likes this

#26 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:15 PM

A Hat In Time: Seal The Deal DLC Launches on September the 13th and will be free for 24 hours on PC.

https://www.youtube....h?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 21 August 2018 - 02:33 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:21 PM

More importantly (for me), Switch version confirmed! I had actually gotten this recently as a gift but my laptop is so trash it chugged when I tried to play it at lowest settings, so this is a godsend. Probably grabbing the DLC on PC anyway since it'll be free, and I'm upgrading this laptop at some point anyway (and by "upgrading" I mean "buying a new one" honestly), so I'd get that and also mod support.

The DLC apparently is only on PC at first though. Wonder if the console release of the DLC will coincide with the Switch release later on, but we'll see of course.

Also the new girl for co-op mode is as fucking adorable as Hat Kid herself and I'm gonna die of cuteness.

• Jared likes this

#28 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

This sounds awesome. And a Switch port? This is almost too good to be true. I hope this game can get the exposure it deserves. 

#29 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:45 AM

A Hat in Time Seal The Deal DLC is available and is free for 1 day (can keep forever after acquisition).

https://store.steamp..._Seal_the_Deal/
https://www.gog.com/...e_seal_the_deal

#30 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

Got the DLC. I also have some opinions about the DLC.

Minor Spoilers

I haven't tried very many of the new contracts yet, but they do seem to be challenge levels, as advertised.

Tbh, this feels more like a really well made fan level, than an official product. It's not bad, it works, and the core gameplay is still there, but I did not care for these first two missions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users