Discussion

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I'm glad this thread is going well. It reflects on the open-mindedness of pure :D

Edited by Logos, 19 December 2015 - 09:56 AM.

• ShadowTiger and Joelmacool like this

#17 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:28 AM

There will of course be people who can prove you wrong in about thirty seconds. I'm one of those people, though for purely optimistic reasons I assure you. Actually I'm frequently amazed at the depth to which personal reasons for believing in their ideals will reach. There are some furries that believe in their cause to the level that they will die for their cause. Ever wonder what powers that zeal? Is it just the force of their personality alone that gives them such devotion, or because they really see something AMAZING in it that's worth fighting for? Either way, it's certainly more than just a fandom, hobby, or interesting.

I was joking about my open minded thing though. @_@

but I am open minded, furries are great

#18 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

I've never understood the level of disdain some people hold for the furry community, or other subcultures or fandoms in general. It all seems fairly harmless to me. Sometimes I feel like people are much too bothered by the idea of what goes on in other peoples' heads. Someone's thinking something that doesn't go along with their narrow view of the world? That shouldn't be allowed. And acting on some of those thoughts? Unforgivable!

My rule is the same as a lot of other peoples'. As long as no one's being harmed, then I'm okay with whatever. And in the case of furry stuff, I'm hard pressed to think of any way it could possibly be harmful.

• ShadowTiger and Logos like this

#19 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

And in the case of furry stuff, I'm hard pressed to think of any way it could possibly be harmful.

If you don't like the heat, you could die in a fursuit. Or if you're an artist, death by papercut is totally a thing. Or carpal tunnel syndrome if you draw a lot digitally.

Yeah it's totally a thing that happens.

• SpikeReynolds, Russ and Aevin like this

#20 Bill Nye the Russian Spy

Bill Nye the Russian Spy

БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ

• Members

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Never understood what everyone has against them, myself. Sure, it's a little odd, but you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who isn't into anything unusual.
  • Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#21 MabusTheDark

MabusTheDark

An Old Soul

• Members

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

As a very new Furry, you could say that I am one, and support the community.  X3  Literally growing up with Sonic certainly had nothing to do with that.  *shot*

And, while I HAVE and do still draw some NSFW content of furry characters, I very rarely make that aspect / hobby known to people that do not associate with or appreciate those kind of things.  

• ShadowTiger and SpikeReynolds like this

#22 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

from the exstiance of furries and the fandom. i have learned so many fetishies exist.. it's something you don't unthink.

#23 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

All fandoms have that vocal minority that paint the rest of the followers in an extremely negative light. And people in general, social as they are, will go to great lengths to find a reason to hate anyone and anything they find different or against their view. The hate is easy to see if you know how a closed mind works, and that vocal minority just adds fuel to the fire.

I like furry art. Feel free to hate me for that, but it doesn't paint a nice picture of you if you're going to get upset over something that plays an excruciatingly minor role in my own life, let alone something that has no baring on your own life.
"GASP. HE LIKES CUTE ANIMAL PEOPLE! BURN THE WITCH!"

Might I recommend giving Ozy and Millie a read? It's a cute slice of life comic about two charming kids growing up. Completely safe for work, highly toony. Zaniness is to be expected. The comic ran for ten years before the writer moved on to some other less successful comics.

Edited by Alestance, 10 February 2016 - 05:22 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#24 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

This is a complicated subject for me, as for many years I identified as one. However I got sucked into some of the darker depths of the fandom, and got into some other tangentially-related things and ended up being depressed, suicidal, and ... for lack of a better term, extremely confused. It caused a lot of real-life problems, ... not to go into too much detail but it led me into the darkest part of my life thus far.

Some may interpret my feelings as disdainful toward furries, but that's not really how it is at all. I don't like what it eventually led me to -- not that anyone else would necessarily follow the same misguided path that I had just because they identify as furry -- but you could probably understand how I would like to distance myself from the fandom at this point. I really can't judge anyone else for their choices because I've made some amazingly bad ones myself, but I want to make it clear that don't hate furries or their art or whatever. I do understand the appeal of subcultures in general, though. Just have good judgment, I guess. Don't be manipulated.

This post ended up not being very clear. :shrug: Sorry.

• ShadowTiger and Aevin like this

#25 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

This is a complicated subject for me, as for many years I identified as one. However I got sucked into some of the darker depths of the fandom, and got into some other tangentially-related things and ended up being depressed, suicidal, and ... for lack of a better term, extremely confused. It caused a lot of real-life problems, ... not to go into too much detail but it led me into the darkest part of my life thus far.

Some may interpret my feelings as disdainful toward furries, but that's not really how it is at all. I don't like what it eventually led me to -- not that anyone else would necessarily follow the same misguided path that I had just because they identify as furry -- but you could probably understand how I would like to distance myself from the fandom at this point. I really can't judge anyone else for their choices because I've made some amazingly bad ones myself, but I want to make it clear that don't hate furries or their art or whatever. I do understand the appeal of subcultures in general, though. Just have good judgment, I guess. Don't be manipulated.

This post ended up not being very clear. :shrug: Sorry.

I want to ask what darker things you mean, but this being Pure....

Might I recommend giving Ozy and Millie a read? It's a cute slice of life comic about two charming kids growing up. Completely safe for work, highly toony. Zaniness is to be expected. The comic ran for ten years before the writer moved on to some other less successful comics.

We were raised on a work called Las Lindas (I blame Dustminion's signature back then) by an artist named Chalosan. It's uh...    somewhat less sfw, but the main comic itself is still relatively clean. Everything beyond it though is another story.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 10 February 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#26 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

We were raised on a work called Las Lindas (I blame Dustminion's signature back then) by an artist named Chalosan. It's uh...    somewhat less sfw, but the main comic itself is still relatively clean. Everything beyond it though is another story.

I've heard of it. I tend to avoid it.

#27 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:14 AM

All fandoms have that vocal minority that paint the rest of the followers in an extremely negative light. And people in general, social as they are, will go to great lengths to find a reason to hate anyone and anything they find different or against their view. The hate is easy to see if you know how a closed mind works, and that vocal minority just adds fuel to the fire.

I like furry art. Feel free to hate me for that, but it doesn't paint a nice picture of you if you're going to get upset over something that plays an excruciatingly minor role in my own life, let alone something that has no baring on your own life.
"GASP. HE LIKES CUTE ANIMAL PEOPLE! BURN THE WITCH!"

I don't hate them for it. it's just without the furries I would of never known diaper fetishes exist, or  nipples that eat people or anything like that

• Shane, coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#28 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

from the exstiance of furries and the fandom. i have learned so many fetishies exist.. it's something you don't unthink.

I'm pretty sure those exist in parallel in the Anime fandom.

#29 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

I am not into furry fandom, there are even a lot of great comics/charakters I dislike only because they are furry, it is not my kind of art and irritates me a lot. On the other side I think to make good furry art needs a lot more of creativity than drawing humans/animals, in general there are tons of horrible drawn human/human-like/animal charakters accepted only because they show humans/animals. In short, for creating a good furry, I have a lot of respect.

BTW, I know the episode of csi mentioned at the start and if I remember right there is also a show of a total jerk in a dog-costum. Even if these are only tiny parts of american media swapping over to europe, it makes it easy to understand how anti-furry the american media must be.

I'm pretty sure those exist in parallel in the Anime fandom.

They do. I do not know, what Bagel was talking about, but I think it is even worse with anime. There are a lot of fetish-themed things and other content not OK for younger audience, but so far it includes no actual Sex, these things can be still found a lot in normal shows. Worst thing about anime is, that even little children are sexualized a lot, there are not many shows that do that, but if you ever stumble over one you are traumatized for life. So I think compared to that furry is rather harmless.

The biggest problem should be, that there are a few horrible people everywhere, and in a group like furrys with a lot of unexpirienced  and confused members (since not much open support/information is available and a lot of bad sites exist) bad people can easily find victims. To make it worse, obviously outsiders with prejudices and no understanding will often react as if it is the victims own fault. That said, this is a problem of people being horrible, they might use the furry fandom (or similiar things) as cover, but the furry fandom itself has nothing to do with it.

• SpikeReynolds and Lüt like this

#30 MaeioParty

MaeioParty

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

I have no problem with Furries at all despite me not being one myself. I knew a couple of furries in Kenya who went to a Furry convention with me as a tag-along and it was fun. Genuinely nice people and cool to hang around with.

Just a note though, heat + fur suits is not a great idea. Suffice to say the place stunk at the end of the day.
  • ShadowTiger and Lüt like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users