• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ObnoxiousOboe

ObnoxiousOboe

Creator

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hello everyone!

I am soon going to make a NES-style quest in ZQuest 2.50. But for the midis, I want to import real 8-bit music into my quest (it would be more odd if I used the default 16 or 32-bit music instead in an 8-bit quest). I created .wav files from GXSCC, and I changed the file extension to .mid. However, when I try to load the music into the quest, all I get is this error message: "Error loading tune."

How can I get rid of this? Do I need to use another program? I need help on this one.

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Wav files are recorded sounds, real audio. Midi files play sheet music with "instrument tracks" that are actually played by your computer and do not contain anything previously recorded. Changing the extension won't help. GXSCC converts your midis to actual audio, and then they're no longer midi files at all.

You can play real audio in your quest but you need to use the enhanced music feature. The file size will be considerably bigger so you'll need to host your enhanced music files somewhere and ask players to download them separately.

Edited by Jamian, 15 August 2014 - 06:10 PM.

• nicklegends and ObnoxiousOboe like this

#3 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Oh god, no.  No, no, no...

GXSCC will never be considered 8-bit.  It doesn't even sound remotely 8-bit.  If anything, it resembles FM Synthesis.

If you want to get true 8-bit in your quest, ZQuest supports the .nsf format (which is made using Famitracker, a program used to make music that can be played on a real NES).

You could also make 8-bit music in a DAW, but you should never consider GXSCC as 8-bit.  I've been trying to educate people for years about this, and it bugs me when people think it's 8-bit.

Comparison:

GXSCC: https://www.youtube....h?v=TOyH4anKzPw  (This could never play on a NES)

NES Style: https://www.youtube....h?v=XkIxw7-vUho (This one I made in FL Studio, but I tried following the NES limitations)

• nicklegends, Russ, ObnoxiousOboe and 1 other like this

#4 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

As Jamian and thepsynergist said, you will need to recreate your music using a tracker program such as FamiTracker or MadTracker (among many others). It is not possible to convert a sound file to MIDI; it is only feasible to go the other way around. Also note that tracker files count as "enhanced music" and can't be saved inside the quest file itself. Instead, you have to have the enhanced music files in your Zelda Classic folder separately. Good luck! :)
  • ObnoxiousOboe likes this

#5 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Oh, by the way, if it's Zelda Music you're after, then you could check out this. (Yay for self-advertism!) And if the theme you want isn't there, you could request it either on the topic or in a pm. I am planning to, someime in the future, also do non-zelda tracks, but that's probably in a while.

#6 ObnoxiousOboe

ObnoxiousOboe

Creator

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

I'll try MadTracker, but Famitracker looks a little complicated to use. Do I really need to compose/recreate an 8-bit song from scratch?

Oh, by the way, if it's Zelda Music you're after, then you could check out this. (Yay for self-advertism!) And if the theme you want isn't there, you could request it either on the topic or in a pm. I am planning to, someime in the future, also do non-zelda tracks, but that's probably in a while.

This looks like a pretty comprehensive library of music to use! And I might PM you if I can't find anything I like. Thanks for offering! :cheese:

Edited by ObnoxiousOboe, 17 August 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#7 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'll try MadTracker, but Famitracker looks a little complicated to use. Do I really need to compose/recreate an 8-bit song from scratch?

This looks like a pretty comprehensive library of music to use! And I might PM you if I can't find anything I like. Thanks for offering! :cheese:

You can download .nsf libraries if you look on Google.  There's no need to make it from scratch if you don't want.  There's a thriving Famitracker community.

#8 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

FamiTracker really isn't that hard to learn. The reason I recommend it is because it is designed for 8-bit music whereas MadTracker is more for general tracker files.

#9 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hello everyone!

I am soon going to make a NES-style quest in ZQuest 2.50. But for the midis, I want to import real 8-bit music into my quest (it would be more odd if I used the default 16 or 32-bit music instead in an 8-bit quest). I created .wav files from GXSCC, and I changed the file extension to .mid. However, when I try to load the music into the quest, all I get is this error message: "Error loading tune."

How can I get rid of this? Do I need to use another program? I need help on this one.

Never change a file extension unless you absolutely know what you're doing. It is possible to damage your computer this way.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

GXSCC is a program that tries to emulate the sounds of, but not the limitations of the

Konami SCC sound chip that was used in the old MSX computer. It is 8-bit, but it isn't the same sound as the NES.
The NES has a Ricoh 2A03 sound chip (2A08 in Europe).

I just wanted to clear this up. Simply running a MIDI into GXSCC is not the same thing as a song that's played through the actual SCC sound chip. Like this.

Apparently the SCC is a wavetable chip, rather than PSG like the 2A03.

#11 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

That's interesting. I never realized that GXSCC was actually emulating a sound chip.

#12 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hello everyone!

No offense, but you have no idea what you're doing. Changing an extension name will never make something run like said extension.

A MIDI file is a file consisting of data that tells a device or driver what note to play with other attributes such as note velocity, panning, and other data.

This data is then fed into something which interprets the signal, and for your case and many others, that MIDI data is being fed into a driver that has a library of either prerecorded instruments (samples) or synthesis (oscillators, wavetables).

A majority of computers come with drivers that have these:

image.png

The one you have on your computer will ultimately decide how MIDI song playback sounds. Some people don't like the quality of their MIDI driver so people download BASSMidi which uses sample files called a SoundFont to replace the MIDI driver, using the SoundFont samples to generate the instrument sounds instead.

free-soundfont-editor.png

What you are trying to convert it to (WAV file) is a whole different type of file, and what people assume MIDI files are. WAV files, MP3 Files, FLAC files, and any form that has actual audio recorded, are files with data of waveforms converted into digital data which when played is interpreted by a music player to be generated as a waveform. 

This is one of the reasons why a MID file is so small compared to WAV or MP3. 

As for GXSCC, it was never truly 8-bit. It's a fake-bit" program which reads MIDI files and feeds them into a synthesizer to make sounds which are reminiscent of 8-bit music.

Many people assume that simplistic synthesize means 8-bit system music. The truth is, this is not a fact. You can make convincing representations of music from 8 bit consoles, but it's not 8 bit unless it's actually going through the same engine as the original thing.

Many of these 8 bit consoles do use synthesis, but the thing people don't realize is that the techniques of synthesis between, say a modern synthesizer keyboard and an NES are 2 whole different worlds.

Just because 2 things are can generate a square wave doesn't mean they're doing it through the same process.

Here are some articles about the NES's sound as well as a video:

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/APU

http://en.wikipedia....ES_Sound_Format

http://youtu.be/la3coK5pq5w

Ultimately, the NES has 5 channels, though there are techniques where the NES can output higher quality 7-bit PCM samples. The NES also has chips inside the cartridges called Mappers which sometimes expands the sound abilities.

If you truly want something like NES music, use what are called NSF files. What is this? Basically these are rips of the music and sound engine from NES video games. They are read by music players which have a module to emulate the NES sound chip.

Zelda Classic has NSF support, but you will have to include the NSF file(s) with your quest as quest files can't import NSF files inside the quest but can point to the file for Zelda Classic to play.

If you ever want to try to make your own NES music, try looking at Famitracker:

http://famitracker.com/

Famitracker is a music tracker that emulates the NES sound chip and can export NSF files. You can even import MIDI files into it, but it won't be as smoothly as importing MIDI files into GXSCC as there are limitations to the NES sound chip unlike MIDI.

I hope this post helps and educated you a bit on the stuff you're trying to mess with. As an aspiring musician who works a lot with MIDI it was fun.

Edited by Lemmy Koopa, 20 August 2014 - 08:22 PM.

• nicklegends, Jared and ObnoxiousOboe like this

#13 ObnoxiousOboe

ObnoxiousOboe

Creator

• Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

You learn something new every day. I do realize now that GXSCC is not the right software to use for 8-bit music.

If you ever want to try to make your own NES music, try looking at Famitracker:

http://famitracker.com/

Famitracker is a music tracker that emulates the NES sound chip and can export NSF files. You can even import MIDI files into it, but it won't be as smoothly as importing MIDI files into GXSCC as there are limitations to the NES sound chip unlike MIDI.

I am sticking with Famitracker, but I am still learning the nuts and bolts of it, so I don't know how to import a MIDI file to see if it can be converted to .nsf. The thing is while it would be fun to create original songs for the quest, it wouldn't be the same without real Nintendo-created Zelda music. It would probably be cool to hear Termina Field in a NES soundfont. And I could cover the song, but that would be a pain in the groin to do. I can read music, but just the same, it would still be hard and time-consuming to rearrange it exactly as it was.

Edited by ObnoxiousOboe, 20 August 2014 - 11:35 PM.

• Lemmy Koopa likes this

#14 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

You learn something new every day. I do realize now that GXSCC is not the right software to use for 8-bit music.

I am sticking with Famitracker, but I am still learning the nuts and bolts of it, so I don't know how to import a MIDI file to see if it can be converted to .nsf. The thing is while it would be fun to create original songs for the quest, it wouldn't be the same without real Nintendo-created Zelda music. It would probably be cool to hear Termina Field in a NES soundfont. And I could cover the song, but that would be a pain in the groin to do. I can read music, but just the same, it would still be hard and time-consuming to rearrange it exactly as it was.

GXSCC isn't bad, but it's definitely not NES music. Someone earlier said it's actually emulating a different chip, so maybe it is 8 bit.

As for Famitracker, I just realized the the latest version takes out MIDI importing. If you want to mess with that, get the previous version of FamiTracker. Like I said, it's not perfect, and is no way as good as playing MIDI files as GXSCC but that is because Famitracker is restricted to NES hardware.

Also, the NES sound isn't a soundfont. It's digital synthesis, as in sound generated by mathmatics instead of audio samples . I'm not sure if I mentioned this on my last post, but a soundfont is more of a brand name than a term. The function of a soundfont is using sampling, which is basically prerecordings of little samples of sounds. A soundfont is just basically a sample library.

Like the image I posted before. The blue line is the sample. Little tiny bits of wave forms stored in a file, in the case of a soundfont, a .SF2 file. These samples are played in different pitches and velocities to simulate playing different notes and simulate an instrument being played.

Some of the points of my previous point was also to tell you that though 2 things might do similar things, they're not the same. It's kinda like saying Zelda Classic can run on the NES because it's Zelda 1, ya know?

Edited by Lemmy Koopa, 21 August 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#15 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

The GXSCC uses ripped sample audio from recordings of the Konami SCC chip which was an add-on to the MSX computer.

I'm not really in the know of how it works, but apparently it utilized a wave table for generating its sound rather than straight synthesis.

MIDI is often cited as "wavetable synthesis", so the SCC chip likely had a variety of VERY TINY sound files with which it generated music from. The MSX was an 8-bit computer, so by association the SCC is "8-bit".

8-bit music does not need to be PSG synthesizers, either. The Japanese only Famicom game Lagrange Point made use of Konami's VRC7 chip. The VRC7 utilizes a Yamaha YM2608 chip, and you can make sounds similar to, but not quite as complex as, sounds you'd often hear on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. (The 2608 used two operators, whereas the MD used a 2612 chip with 4 operators.)

8-bit music could also be sample-based like the SNES, as shown here. This is a game from the Amiga computer system which is, itself, an 8-bit computer.

Truth is, you probably shouldn't use the term "#-bit" to describe any sort of music, because the definition of, say, 8-bit in terms of music spectrum is varied enough that it doesn't make sense. The Gameboy Advance is a 16-bit system, but it also houses the same sound chip the classic gameboy had. Would playing a gameboy game on a gameboy, and playing a gameboy game on a gameboy advance change the fact that it still uses PSG sounds? Is it 16-bit music if the game is played on the GBA, but 8-bit if the game is played on a classic GB?

Just some food for thought, and I know no one's going to stop calling it 8-bit music.

And now I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. Whoops.

Edited by Alestance, 21 August 2014 - 05:26 AM.

• Lemmy Koopa likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 8-bit, 8bit, NES, midi, file, Zelda, help, quest, music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users