Photo

Screenshot of the Week 230

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 230 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite Screenshot!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

Also,
QUOTE(Lithium @ Sep 29 2008, 04:09 PM) View Post
Majora - It's graphics and no screen design or skill! Amazing! 2/10
ZS - It's an overall bad shot, and on top of that it's a jpg. There's nothing going on. Everything's too green and straight. Please don't use GB. 4/10

Lithium: Trolling is against the rules, and you know it. Please find a more respectful way of phrasing your opinions, or do not state them at all. Thank you.

#17 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

LOL everybody uses my out of 10 rating system now. But hey, I have no problem with it. It wasn't exactly rocket science for me to think up anyway.

Anyway, good constructive criticism out there for the most part. Glad to see people taking it with a positive light.

But enough of that. Moving on to the screens:

jimmyb - 7/10
I am liking the overall feel and mood of it. Great attention to detail, and great usage of trees and other vegetation. I still don't like those kind of roofs on the buildings to the left and right, as I feel they are more hurtful than helpful to all the other great stuff found in screenshots, as they make them look like plastic toys. People like to use them a lot though. Either that or they can't find a better alternative.

Lithium - 6/10
While I do like this style, I don't think this was as quite as good as some of your others that use it. Ground details are still good despite that.

Majora - 5/10
Sorry, I'm not really digging it on the overall scale. Almost all of what I like is limited to the bottom of the screen. Artistically it looks very good, but it doesn't seem like there is much potential beyond that aspect. Most of the screen is occupied by a background, as nice as it is, but it leaves little room for much else. I already commented on why I don't like the right half of the subscreen portion during an earlier week.

Migokalle - 8/10
Sure they are great graphics, and sure we have seen this from you before, but it is still a great screenshot. The attention toward details are still done very well and everything clashes well together. So of course I will still rate it high, although I am still curious about what you can do outside of these graphics. Perhaps we can see an interior or dungeon screenshot of the same project from you sometime, provided they exist.

Moonwhisper - 8/10
Excellent attention to detail and good graphics too. While not as high budget as Migokalle's screenshot, you seem to put a lot of integrity into what you use. It is very easy to get inconsistent and tacky with graphics like this, but I think you got it right here.

ZebraStallion - 6/10
I won't bite your head off like you might expect some people to. Although I don't think it's that bad of a screen. Sure it's not good enough to win in my opinion, but I wouldn't reject the usage of GB as someone earlier pointed out. While the detail isn't as good as a lot of the other screenshots this week, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's revolting either. The trees seem to be placed well so as they don't disrupt what you feel needs more emphasis in the screen. Although nothing in particular is dominating the emphasis of the screen besides maybe the road, which is neither a good nor a bad thing. If I were you though I would either choose different road tiles (something more "away from townlike" if you catch my drift) if you can find them and maybe straighten it more. A windy road like that in a small open level space doesn't make much practical sense. A little realism in something fake doesn't hurt. But keep going with these ideas. It has potential.

My tie breaker goes to Moonwhisper for showing something more unique from what I have seen over the past several months or so.

#18 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Sep 29 2008, 05:34 PM) View Post

Well if that comment insulted you then my apologies.

Yeah I can see what you mean. I see that you a lot more colors in your GB shots plus you add extra stuff so it doesn't look plain .

I'm not offended by it, I'm saying that ZS should be developing his own style rather than trying to be too much like mine.

#19 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Sep 29 2008, 04:47 PM) View Post

Also,

Lithium: Trolling is against the rules, and you know it. Please find a more respectful way of phrasing your opinions, or do not state them at all. Thank you.

I suppose the sarcasm was a bit uncalled for, but Majora knows that I don't like ripped graphics being the only thing there. And as for ZS, I asked him politely to not use GB, he's pretty good with pure and should stick to it. I'm sorry I can't state simple opinions without it being considered trolling.

#20 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

Well, now that I look at it more, I realize my screen isn't that great. I quit GB... Unless I can make it better.

Dawnlight: How does my screen look anything like Moonwhisper's? It's completely different... Besides, I created this screen back in April or something...

Edited by ZebraStallion, 29 September 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#21 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(Lithium @ Sep 29 2008, 05:14 PM) View Post

I suppose the sarcasm was a bit uncalled for, but Majora knows that I don't like ripped graphics being the only thing there. And as for ZS, I asked him politely to not use GB, he's pretty good with pure and should stick to it. I'm sorry I can't state simple opinions without it being considered trolling.
Saying "Please don't use GB." by itself sounds like "Please stop putting crap on our boards." Now, if you would have said "Please don't use GB. You're much better at Pure." or omitted the sentence entirely, there would have been no trolling whatsoever. What have we learned? Tact.

#22 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Majora @ Sep 29 2008, 04:44 PM) View Post

I'm amazed how there is a rough alternation on a per-3 week (or so, varies) basis between voting on a shot based on who made it and/or the pretty colors, and voting based on actual design... guess I must've picked a bad week to enter xD

Ripping Graphics is one thing but forgetting the design is another.

#23 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Sep 29 2008, 05:50 PM) View Post

Saying "Please don't use GB." by itself sounds like "Please stop putting crap on our boards." Now, if you would have said "Please don't use GB. You're much better at Pure." or omitted the sentence entirely, there would have been no trolling whatsoever. What have we learned? Tact.

If I meant it to be insulting, I would of made it so. I didn't feel like typing that last part because I thought it was implied. I guess not.

#24 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

I can't decide between Majora's and Migo's.

I guess I'll go with Migo for excellent use of layers.

#25 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

They're all too good, so I'm nulling.

#26 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

Majoras is amazing. The background is spectacular, and providing he can script that fight, it would be marvelous. He's the only one who has done anything new this week, and has the most beautiful shot. Everyone else's shots are just repeats of other peoples success.

#27 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

I voted for Migokalle, it's one of those kind of screenshots that get my attention. Nuff said.

#28 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

I nulled.
QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Sep 30 2008, 07:55 AM) View Post

jimmyb - 7/10
I am liking the overall feel and mood of it. Great attention to detail, and great usage of trees and other vegetation. I still don't like those kind of roofs on the buildings to the left and right, as I feel they are more hurtful than helpful to all the other great stuff found in screenshots, as they make them look like plastic toys. People like to use them a lot though. Either that or they can't find a better alternative.

Yeah, I agree on the LttP roofs. There style very much clashes with the MC roofs, but those MC roofs cant be designed in shapes other than square/oblong, so I had to go with the LttP ones. But I think someone has edited some MC roofs that can be designed in L and H shapes.

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Sep 30 2008, 07:42 AM) View Post

jimmyb:7/10
Good shot. I'd recommend some more skillful object placement on the southern edge, but it's a nice shot otherwise.

Yes, I needed to address that issue of the southern edge, so I posted the shot in The Official Screenshot Thread about a week ago, but only got a couple of replies. I'm thinking of putting a house there, or moving the trees etc down about 32 pixels.

Thanks for your feedback guys. It all helps, as I'm still learning about good screen design.

#29 hinsburg

hinsburg

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

jimmyb: Nice graphics, I like the Link sprite.
Lithium: Looks nice, but a bit boring.
Majora: Whoa, say what? Awesome.
Migokalle: Great forest, love the tileset.
Moonwhisper: Not much to comment on.
ZebraStallion: Same as above.

Migokalle gets my vote.

#30 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Sep 29 2008, 07:31 PM) View Post

Majoras is amazing. The background is spectacular, and providing he can script that fight, it would be marvelous. He's the only one who has done anything new this week, and has the most beautiful shot. Everyone else's shots are just repeats of other peoples success.

I LOVE YOU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users