Photo

Popular tilesets using 2-tile-tall dungeon walls?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

So I've been going through DoR and making carving sets for a few of its dungeons. However, I realized that a number of these sets were previously released loose tile packs that had been assimilated into DoR. I looked up the originals on the database to check that the imports were accurate (not always), and one of them said it was actually colored for "Pure Set" before being adapted into DoR. It made me think that, rather than release them specifically for DoR, maybe they should be colored to match a few different tilesets.

That said, I'm not going to do 25 different versions of the same loose tile sheets for every tileset in existence, so I want to know what the most popular sets are that use traditional 2-tile-tall dungeon wall configurations, and also have a large enough palette to load tiles that are 5-8 colors. These are the two I know of so far:

Dance Of Remembrance: Hybrid

Pure Tileset Basic 2.5

Any others I should consider?

(Obviously, I'm also looking for the latest versions.)

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

You may want to make a poll, but a few others I can think of are, the BS set, Classic, of course, and maybe even GB to an extent. Some people use two tile walls, even though one works.

As far as the most popular? I think you already have the two most popular. People can also simply recolor them en masse in the editor. I'd say make them for any set that can use 5-8 colors. I haven't used DoR or any of its variants in years, but iirc, the palettes are the same among all of them. The dungeon sets from ALttP (which is over half of them) only use 4-5 colors, again, if memory serves me right.

• Lüt likes this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:16 AM

That's kind of the point though, I don't know what to put on the poll :P

There's a couple BS tilesets, and there's 8 (eight!) (ACHT!!) ( :omg: ) versions of Pure, some of which are incredibly expanded compared to this latest 2.5 basic that I linked, and a few of which actually already have a number of the sets I'm doing, but both series are almost entirely for old 1.92 betas, and I don't know if there's any point supporting old-version tilesets if nobody uses them, or even can use them. Is there?

And now that I sort by 2.50 (Any), there's barely a page of sets. Revenge 2 looks like an ideal candidate at first, but it seems to only use 4 colors for main walls. Lost Isle pack, however, has 6, as well as a few of these sets already in it. New Newfirst has 5-color LttP walls, messed up as they always are. LttP uses 6 colors by the way, 9 counting the lower levels, but everybody reduces it to 5 since the 6th color is only for the ceiling detail.

The thing with mass recolor is that, if you don't have an appropriate palette to import the tilesheet in the first place, many of the colors can get blended together during the process. It took me some 5 minutes and 15 tries to import a tilesheet into DoR that didn't have a matching palette without losing colors. That's basically what I'm trying to avoid here.

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

I believe all the Pure variants use one of two dungeon wall CSet structures - either Pure's or DoR's. That's not counting Lose Isle, which is a modified PTUX.

There are two different ways to recolor tiles. Recoloring while grabbing can combine similar colors. If you grab without recoloring and then use the recoloring tool (in 2.50.2 and up), that won't happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users