Photo

Screenshot of the Week 29

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Which picture? (Voting ended) (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Which picture? (Voting ended)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:06 PM

It shows no actual talent. You just put together a room and took a picture of it. It doesn't have layers or anything that makes it stand out from other people's quests.

#17 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(FlameArrowStar @ Jul 9 2003, 01:34 PM)
O_o even Nick's bland picture is beating me! O_o

And why isn't yours bland?

In terms of effort, let's count how many different tiles yours has. I'm not counting any of the dungeon walls or doors since it takes just a few clicks to make them. Letsee, the floor, the torches, the spikes, the ice, 4 conveyor belts, and 2 pit tiles. 10 different combos you used not counting the doors and wall. Maybe I shouldn't count the floors since you could've used a template tool to make them. But I will just out of generosity. So the number remains at 10. I'll also note you didn't use any layers. Just how long did that screen take?

In terms of standing out (the opposite of bland), I can't see your screenshot. It's just a bunch of molblins standing around some boring room. It's a square room with no wall decorations, no floor decorations (such as statues of any sort), etc.

In terms of good combos and stuff, you have an error. First, there's no floor bricks that go in between the floor tile and the wall, so the floor kinda runs into the wall and clashes. This would also be useful for the ice as the floor tile and the ice don't look good next to each other.

Now for Nick's.

In terms of effort, he's got 1 layer (better than you did) and a rather large amount of combos. In counting, I found 40 different combos. And since I didn't count anything completely obscured by a layer, there might be more. That's 4 times as many combos as you, bonus points for the layer. And you're surprised he has more votes?

In terms of standing out, it's not that great I'll agree. However, I do like the variety of grass tiles and variety of tiles on whatever you call those funny green walls. Otherwise... yea... it's sorta bland.

In terms of good combos and stuff, I can't see a mistake at all.

Still surprised?

#18 FlameArrowStar

FlameArrowStar

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:22 PM

I get it... I read my post three more times, and I see I was being a bit cruel. sorry. icon_frown.gif

#19 EIHoppe

EIHoppe

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:01 PM

I vote Petoe. His shot is by far the most original, and it makes me yearn to play his quest. And, to me, that's what matters.

#20 FlameArrowStar

FlameArrowStar

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 July 2003 - 09:10 PM

Ok, with everything you commented on my screen, I have fixed it up much better. I won't send it it SOTW, though, so you'll have to wait until my demo to see it icon_wink.gif

#21 FlameArrowStar

FlameArrowStar

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 July 2003 - 09:56 AM

Um... Isn't voting over? I'm confused...

#22 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 12 July 2003 - 10:53 AM

Yeah. Voting is over.

Petoe is the winner. I (or someone else) will update the archive topic and the main page later. icon_shrug.gif

#23 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:15 PM

Oh, what a close battle it was.
Well, I have to say that I regret sending such a bland picture to the SOTW though I won. It really doesn't give a good picture of my skills, icon_sweat.gif but looks like people appreciate originality.

Anyway, from now on I'll submit only eye candy here so that an ugly picture like this weeks winner won't be winning SOTW anymore. icon_smile.gif

#24 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(Petoe @ Jul 12 2003, 02:15 PM)
Well, I have to say that I regret sending such a bland picture to the SOTW though I won. It really doesn't give a good picture of my skills, icon_sweat.gif but looks like people appreciate originality.

Hard to call it bland when it has 4 times as many custom tiles as anyone else's entry. icon_razz.gif

#25 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 13 July 2003 - 03:33 PM

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get on this weekend. Thank you Nick for ending it. Submit for SOTW 30. I will start it Tuesday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users