• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

https://www.polygon....rder-who-icd-11

According to the World Health Organization.

Seems like the politicians and such are still trying to villainize video games STILL, decades later.

What are your thoughts?  I can agree that too much of anything is an issue, but that doesn't automatically make it a disorder.  People smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day aren't considering having a "Smoking Disorder," they're considered having an addiction.

Edited by Koh, 20 June 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

Gaming, cell phones, computers, anything can be an excuse to not have a life, or even go beyond that into addiction

• Alucard648 likes this

#3 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

Honestly, I've previously spent an unhealthy amount of time reading and being antisocial as well. Is that a mental disorder too?

EDIT: now I think about it, most things I do - including when I was foing a lot of creative writing and composition (which I still do on/off) I do fairly obsessively. Waves of obsession with one thing - reading, gaming, composition, bingewatching shows, creative writing; all as strong as each other - that eventually peter out and are replaced by another wave of obsession. That's how my whole life has been, and I refuse to believe that's a mental disorder. It's stupid.

Edited by klop422, 20 June 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

Being entertained is a disorder. Working will set you free. Now get back to work, comrade! 

• Yloh likes this

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

People smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day aren't considering having a "Smoking Disorder," they're considered having an addiction.

ICD-10 code F17 - nicotine dependence, classified under mental and behavioral disorders due to psychoactive substance use.
"Disorder" is a pretty broadly defined term.
  • Rambly, Koh and Russ like this

#6 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

Being entertained is a disorder. Working will set you free. Now get back to work, comrade! 

What if working on my creative endeavours entertains me?

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

This goes without saying, but I think this is dumb.

Just what we need, a bunch of old guys who don't understand gaming culture coming in and telling us we have a mental disorder.

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

Has anyone actually taken a time to read the article? I understand the title of the article and OP might seem like it describes what the article contains but rest assured the article is explaining the complete opposite. Most agree that the scientific evidence for the classification is weak at best and there are plenty of objections from actual researchers who have studied this issue. There's still debate between professionals about this who even express genuine concern that there are more downsides to labelling this as a disorder than there are possible benefits. Some people are concerned that this will further stigmatize video games. Furthermore, some find that there might be an underlying mental condition such as depression and/or anxiety, rather than it being some "gaming disorder".

But yeah, don't worry, this isn't some universal agreement that gaming is suddenly a disorder. Professionals are still looking into it, and agree that this was a rushed case. I hope this clarifies the article. Professionals are warning not to discuss and scare people about this prematurely.

• Rambly, Anthus and Russ like this

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, I read it. I can agree that it should be studied, and the "chicken and egg" scenario they describe is accurate. But to come out and say it's a mental illness will raise some eye brows. I also think it will inevitably lead to further stigma towards gamers.

I was thinking though, what about professionsal gamers? What about pro athletes? Are they addicted to their sport?
  • Shane likes this

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

"World Health Organization"

Who?
  • Anthus, Russ, Binx and 1 other like this

#11 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

I mean, yeah, gaming addiction is totally a thing, but most addictions are caused by underlying issues (addiction, not chemical dependence, there's a difference). I dunno, this seems like, despite WHO's claims, this is a political move. And not one endorsed only by countries like China but by politicians the world over who want to shift violence discussions away from weapons and onto scapegoats like video games. The NRA made arguments, even recently, claiming that video games, not guns, are the cause of us having so many mass shootings.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

I think it should be pointed out that they're not calling "gaming" a disorder, but they're referring to when a person's compulsion to game impedes their ability to perform other necessary tasks, resulting in negative consequences for the gamer. Playing Overwatch for eight hours a day may be unhealthy, but not necessarily "gaming disorder". Living in squalor and isolation because you can't tear yourself away from the game long enough to clean up after yourself or have a social life is something different altogether. Further reading: http://www.who.int/f...ng-disorder/en/

I was thinking though, what about professionsal gamers? What about pro athletes? Are they addicted to their sport?

Short answer: it depends. Are they able to maintain a lifestyle outside their sport? Can they take time off their sport to have dinner with their spouse or go on a holiday? If so, I wouldn't say they're addicted - at least not to an extent that could qualify as a disorder. Same goes for pro gamers: is gaming just a (large) part of their life, or is gaming a black hole that's devouring the rest of their life?

• Rambly, Anthus, Koh and 1 other like this

#13 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:53 AM

Here's a mad-lib version:

[DISORDER] is characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurrent [DISORDER] behavior, which may be online (i.e., over the internet) or offline, manifested by: 1) impaired control (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context); 2) increasing priority given to [DISORDER] to the extent that [DISORDER] takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and 3) continuation or escalation of [DISORDER] despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning. The pattern of behavior may be continuous or episodic and recurrent. The [DISORDER] behavior and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be assigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.
Which is literally so many things I'll just cut this post here. ------- >8

#14 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:27 AM

In that case, it's somewhat disrespectful, or at the very least, a bit thoughtless to call it 'gaming disorder', as that implies what we've all assumed, and still villifies gaming.
As I said, I've been previously obsessed with books or composition (etc.) as much as I have been with video games. Not to 'disorder' levels, but I think that would be 100% possible.
Maybe 'obsessive media disorder' would be a slightly nicer name. I don't know.

In any case, the fact that you can even make a mad libs version makes this not specific to gaming. Of course,it can happen with it, but it can happen with other things too. I did have last year a netflix binging session which got a little in the way. Season 5 of Doctor Who in two days (except episode one, the day before). Season 6 in one, if I remember correctly. Got out of that when I finished the series, but I haven't seen a 'tv binging' disorder.

#15 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

Playing Overwatch for eight hours a day may be unhealthy, but not necessarily "gaming disorder". Living in squalor and isolation because you can't tear yourself away from the game long enough to clean up after yourself or have a social life

damn, i was near to this level years ago, when i was a NEET, but once i got a job i had no touble to diminuish the hours of game at day, so more than the game itself, it was my situation.

I think that if it was an addiction, i had to suffer a sort of crisis similar to that of drug addicts, but i didn't

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users