• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:07 AM

Yes, well. Considering I gave up my QPF spot a short time ago changes a lot of things, doesn't it. icon_deformed.gif I fixed what was wrong with ZC/ZQ on my computer this morning, believe it or not. Gray0x forced me to. We were discussing my first quest, and talking with Plissken about ZC and maps and such. So I've decided on this much. I'm having another crack at ZC.

In a nutshell, I think I overworked myself trying to make Koop another HoD or Lost Isle. I was too focused on making it have awesome dungeon designs, eye-boggling graphics and fantastic overworlds - pretty much everything Protector of the Damn Universe wasn't.

So far, I've designed and uploaded this:
http://silentcry.out...ms/zelda002.bmp

It's a start. First off, I'm stripping back the graphics with Akkabus' EZGBZ tileset (which is quite nice, I must add icon_wink.gif ) - I honestly think that I tried too hard to make Koop look like the rest of the ZC quests with the PTUX tileset, all using the same generic overworld design and crap (no offense to anyone who's using PTUX - just try something new). - and I'll probably be using the same witty and humourous dialogue that helped make Protector of the Damn Universe such a great thing. The build's 2.11 b 15, and nobody's gonna force me to upgrade yet. The quest itself is inappropriately named "The Dark Side of Keith Moon" - a working title. If it sticks, I'm going to be quite surprised. I doubt Keith Moon will even make an appearance. But if he does, it'll probably just be a reference. If I were to call it "The Dark Side of Samuel L. Jackson" however, there'd be so many movie references I would run out of string space. Not that there is string limits. Is there? icon_eek.gif

Anyhow. I'm starting this overworld design now. Don't expect anything fancy, because it's not going to be another great quest in my opinion. Just look at it as another B-grade quest. For the time being anyway.

Edited by Excelsior, 04 August 2008 - 06:38 AM.

#2 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:14 AM

<Lithium> You should do ZC again
Yeah, I really forced you to icon_deformed.gif

#3 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

A Pink Floyd album meets the world's sloppiest yet most awesome drummer? Hells yah!

Wait...it's not about that?

Way to lead us on.

#4 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

And to lead you on even more, here's another screen.

IPB Image

I'm actually working on it. Believe it or not. icon_biggrin.gif

#5 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

It looks like you actually got a lot done. *pokes map*
Nice shot btw

#6 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

Sorry to nitpick, but, like, your first screenshot is a bitmap...

Bitmaps on the Internet make my blood boil like lava... icon_dead.gif

The second screen is pretty great though, bitmap or not. I'm not such a fan of the first one-- non-closed corners make my blood boil too, just not as much. Maybe they just make my blood a little above lukewarm. icon_heh.gif

All in all, good work. ^_^ Except for the bitmap bit. Map.

#7 Bluedeath

Bluedeath

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE(Excelsior @ Aug 7 2008, 04:49 PM) View Post

And to lead you on even more, here's another screen.

IPB Image

I'm actually working on it. Believe it or not. icon_biggrin.gif

I love that screen, nice work icon_biggrin.gif

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:10 AM

Wow feedback. icon_omg.gif

QUOTE(gray0x @ Aug 8 2008, 10:06 AM) View Post

It looks like you actually got a lot done. *pokes map*
Nice shot btw

I've done stuff all. Probably like a fifth or a bit less of those screens have been worked on, and probably only three or four are done. I've just set out a template so I know what goes where.

QUOTE(Schwa @ Aug 8 2008, 10:53 AM) View Post

Sorry to nitpick, but, like, your first screenshot is a bitmap...

Yeah. About that. Couldn't be bothered converting it to jpg. That, and it was taken in 2.10.

QUOTE(Schwa @ Aug 8 2008, 10:53 AM) View Post

The second screen is pretty great though, bitmap or not.

Might enter that shot in SotW now. icon_razz.gif Considering that, it's probably one of the best screens I've ever done. icon_eek.gif
But I was discussing that screenshot this morning in chat, and someone said that they believe that using transparent treetops in GB tilesets didn't tickle their fancy.

And if I keep this work rate up, I could have a demo done pretty soon. Probably need a storyline too.. the one I've got at the moment is rather, shall we say, empty.

Anyway, I've got another one. Probably not as good as the previous one, but a lot better than the first one.
IPB Image

#9 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

Cover your corners >:D
The water looks a little too straight too, add some curves or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users