#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

For the 20th Anniversary of ZC, we're hosting a new official quest contest:

Contest Discord Server

Basic Rules

• Use the Z1 Overworld as a base, then modify it as you see fit: Be creative, but preserve enough of it so that a new user who has played Z1 will recognise where they are. Expansion and new areas as permitted.
  • You must use ZC 2.53.0, Release 3 to create the quest, and verify that it plays properly in that version of ZC Player. Here is a preliminary package of 2.53.0 Release 3, to get you started.
  • Dungeons (nine minimum) may be of any design, including free-form and 'overworld' styles.
  • You may choose to use something other than the Triforce as dungeon items.
  • You must use the Classic tileset, however, you are permitted to expand it, to add palettes, and to use tiles with more than four colours.
  • You can (and should) use new enemies,items and bosses (provided in Classic.zh, or by the self-provided, or from another source. The final output must be able to go into Classic.zh or a public script set--no 'private' scripts are allowed.
  • You can use any scripts, as long as they are public and reasonably comprehensible. Final scripts for the winner(s) will be distributed with 2.53, and future versions as part of the Classic Module, both as ZScript and as ZASM (for legacy preservation, in future releases).
  • You can improvise story and use any ZC feature that you wish, including mouse controls.
  • Teams and collaboration are permitted (and frankly, encouraged).
  • Music should be MIDI, or Chiptune (e.g., .nsf, .smc), not MP3 or OGG.
  • You may create new assets, or use assets from a database. If using assets other than your own, please submit credits for those assets in the form of a text file.
  • You may use 8-way movement or 4-way movement; and normal or large Link hitboxes.
  • You may use large (32x32) Link tiles and any animation style.
  • You do not need to use all Z1 items/weapons. Feel free to mix things up, and to invent items or use items from other Zelda titles.
  • You my use combos that occupy more than one tile (e.g. large trees, large rocks).
  • You may start immediately. (There is no specific date and time before which you may not begin working on this.)

This isn't intended to be a 'pure NES' quest, but rather, it's intended to be a modern, Classic tileset quest, based loosely on Z1, so Z1 overworld landmarks should exist to be familiar to new players.

Enemies from 3D games are also welcome. I'm planning on including a BotW Guardian as 2x2 tile.

The design cut-off is the end of December, with final package to be released in January.

We will select up to 5 new quests out of the results (to become the official 6th->10th quests.
Please let us know if you have anything to contribute to the assets or to the contest itself.

Note: While you are able to open and edit the 1st.qst file in 2.53.x, because its tile arrangement was designed for 1.92 we advise using Anthus' Classic 2.50 tileset for ripping maps. Its assets should be compatible with the 2.53 Classic tileset.

You may also want to view the sister thread for this contest, on AGN.

2.53r3 Package last updated on 23rd September, 2019 at 19:43GMT.

• ShadowTiger, bigjoe, Anthus and 6 others like this

#2 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

Sounds interesting. While I'm not a great creator myself, I might submit something.

I forget, is 1st.qst unpassworded in the newer versions? Just so I can pick it apart a little :P
  • SkyLizardGirl likes this

#3 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

average everyday normal guy

• Members

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Sounds awesome. Ill try to take a swing at it.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:51 PM

Sounds interesting. While I'm not a great creator myself, I might submit something.

I forget, is 1st.qst unpassworded in the newer versions? Just so I can pick it apart a little :P

I amended the top post with information that answers this question.

tl;dr, It is unlocked, but there is a better option.

#5 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

Thanks. Does seem like a better option.

Question: does making a completely new overworld based on the original (or multiple overworlds based on the original) fall within the rules or does it have to be more or less one-to-one? I realise you say expansions are allowed but I'm unsure if this counts :P

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

Thanks. Does seem like a better option.
Question: does making a completely new overworld based on the original (or multiple overworlds based on the original) fall within the rules or does it have to be more or less one-to-one? I realise you say expansions are allowed but I'm unsure if this counts :P

I might merge that quest and the Classic.zh assets, and extended palettes, to help jumpstart people who want to participate. I have been considering putting something together, too.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:50 AM

I updated the 2.53R3 package in the top post, fixing a bug, where the < and > hotkeys were wrapping the screen palette based on 256 total palettes, rather than 512 palettes. This is a QoL patch, not a critical patch

• Avaro likes this

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:37 AM

I updated the build again with a new ZQuest feature:

In the Palette Editor, you can now save the current palette to a (PNG) file. Thereafter, you can use the Grab function in the Palette Editor to rip CSets of the saved palette into other palettes. This now makes it both possible, and easy to migrate individual palettes--in whole, or in part--from one quest file, to another.

savepal.png

• Hari likes this

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:46 PM

Updated package link to use the zc.com download, so that it will always be current.

#10 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:01 AM

Zoria, would entries that didn't make it in previous contests be considered?

I know of two very challenging quests that didn't make it in their day but I think they are very good quality.  In one of them the author is now deceased and the other is inactive.  If it is permitted, I would submit those quests on their behalf (I would take no credit of course).  They gave implicit consent for their work to be put in a contest because they submitted it for previous contests.  Only issue is that they aren't made for the build you specified and they are password protected.  But if they win, I'm sure that you can modify their quest for the purpose of making it compatible with 2.53 and they wouldn't have minded.

Speaking of winning, perhaps it would be more appropriate in our times to have a normal mode winner and a hero mode winner.  Two quests can win.  There are plenty of people who like a more relaxed form of the game and there are plenty of people who enjoy a more challenging form of the game.  It would show that although no individual quest maker makes quests to accomodate for both, the quest-making community as a whole does provide for both.

#11 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:23 AM

I can't speak for Zoria at all, but it might be worth updating both quests to be 2.53.0-playable before the contest just to increase their chances as possible. And even if they don't win then we have those confirmed as not acting weird in 2.53.0.

#12 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:13 PM

Only a dev can update them to 2.53.0 playable because they are password protected.

#13 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:39 AM

Zoria, would entries that didn't make it in previous contests be considered?

I know of two very challenging quests that didn't make it in their day but I think they are very good quality.  In one of them the author is now deceased and the other is inactive.  If it is permitted, I would submit those quests on their behalf (I would take no credit of course).  They gave implicit consent for their work to be put in a contest because they submitted it for previous contests.  Only issue is that they aren't made for the build you specified and they are password protected.  But if they win, I'm sure that you can modify their quest for the purpose of making it compatible with 2.53 and they wouldn't have minded.

Speaking of winning, perhaps it would be more appropriate in our times to have a normal mode winner and a hero mode winner.  Two quests can win.  There are plenty of people who like a more relaxed form of the game and there are plenty of people who enjoy a more challenging form of the game.  It would show that although no individual quest maker makes quests to accomodate for both, the quest-making community as a whole does provide for both.

Yes. Entries for prior contests, and frankly any quest is eligible,. Just be sure to look over the entrance guidelines, and you will be fine James. ;)

It is quite possible that there will be more than one quest added to Classic as a result of this event. The outcome / ranking will be open to the entire userbase, based on a set of criteria (WIP) and a voting and ranking system for each. We will measure the feedback on each participant's entries and decide based on that feedback which are the best candidates.

At least one quest will become 6th, but the current ZC format allows up to 10 quests per 'module', so 6th through 10th will be considered.

The next big event will be a contest for open assets (new quests), so Classic will be in no rush for more than 10 total quests for a while

Ultimately the number of quests that we pack in will be based on a percentage of the finished quests put forth. if you have projects that you want to put enter, please, do. I would love to see you on the 20th Anniversary Contest Discord server if you are able to participate in that manner, as it allows a great deal of both organisation and communication.

Also remember that you, and any participant may 'team up' and work with partners. Entries need not be a one-man band.

I have considered entering meself, but I am being kept busy just getting the next builds done, I had a rather interesting idea for this event, but IDK if I will have the time, or the mental energy to execute it. As this is community-ranked, I can participate without any sense of nepotism (or other, shady considerations).

The current rules and all participating entries are all here:

https://discord.gg/eUJHydZ

Come on over and join us. The dark side awaits. ;)

#14 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, I checked out your discord the other day.  Nice work.  I'll rejoin it again soon to submit these quests.

Like I said before, the major problem is that your guidelines require that the quest maker MUST use ZC 2.53.0 Release 3 to make their quest.  And I think you were very clear and explicit about this so there's no sneaking one through.  If a quest-maker has passworded their quest and then gone inactive or deceased then that will make their previous quest entry, by default, ineligible.  Can you at least relax the guidelines or do something else to fix this?

Edited by James24, 10 October 2019 - 10:25 PM.

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

After a request from some competitors, and after a vote in which all competitors could participate (results: 15 Aye, 0 No ), the deadline for all entries is extended to 31st January, 2020.

We will not consider any additional deadline extensions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest, classic, official, 20th, anniversary

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users