BotW2: Tears of the Kingdom

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 30 April 2023 - 07:18 AM

I'm just excited about one major thing: They brought my boi, Gleeok back. FINALLY! IN 3D!!! Let's go!!!!!

EDIT: hahaha, page topper! It was meant to be! :D

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 30 April 2023 - 07:19 AM.

#32 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 17 May 2023 - 08:31 AM

Not gonna accuse Nintendo of anything, but I definitely had the idea for the 'Depths' before them. Just sayin'

tumblr_nlle2nsGSe1ron6tyo1_1280.jpg

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, Jenny and 1 other like this

#33 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 17 May 2023 - 11:26 PM

Not gonna accuse Nintendo of anything, but I definitely had the idea for the 'Depths' before them. Just sayin'

tumblr_nlle2nsGSe1ron6tyo1_1280.jpg

I had the idea too. In fact they straight up stole my idea of making a quest that goes from sky to surface to underground.

#34 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 May 2023 - 04:48 PM

Cannot believe Nintendo stole my idea of making a Zelda game.

• Magi_Hero, Twilight Knight, Taco Chopper and 3 others like this

#35 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:30 PM

Anyhow, I beat the main quests Saturday and have been doing cleanup since. My succinct spoiler-free thoughts are that I don't think the early game is as strong compared to Breath of the Wild, but almost everything after is a marked improvement. Once I got used to the new mechanics, it was smooth sailing, though I did and still do miss a couple from BotW. Since the game is still fresh, I'm gonna drop some thoughts on gameplay and plot but in separate boxes.

Gameplay spoilers

Plot spoilers

• Shane and Matthew like this

#36 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:58 PM

this game is... beautiful

• Anthus likes this

#37 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 26 May 2023 - 08:25 PM

There's a lot of things I like about TOTK, but this post isn't about as much of that; it's more of a tangent about how I'm not very satisfied with the game on a thematic and narrative level (particularly regarding Zelda herself). This is particularly true when comparing it to BOTW, which I felt was incredibly thematically cohesive and coherent. Obviously, all sorts of spoilers for the game ahead.

Spoiler

I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, but I guess this matters to me because the messy-feeling narrative and theming made it much harder for me to truly immerse myself in this iteration of Hyrule. Luckily, the wonderfully dense world kept my attention regardless. Nintendo is definitely on an interesting path with their new approach, but I hope they don't hesitate to shake the formula again, particularly regarding the story.

• Anthus, Shane and Jenny like this

#38 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 May 2023 - 03:02 AM

I have a lot of opinions and thoughts about this game. I'll probably type up a real post about it at some point, but to make a long story short, I do really like the game. It's good, and fixes a lot of issues I had with BotW. It's also still... the sequel to the legend of zelda: breath of the wild so ughhhh I still have my issues with it lmao

#39 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 27 May 2023 - 07:22 AM

i beat the game! its really good. i have some gripes but so much praise. i've tried writing up a post but having come off beating the game a few hours ago i feel my thoughts are still too messy to put into words. the six year wait was worth it and the fear of map reuse was gone pretty early on in my playthrough. this iteration of botw hyrule has so much heart and love poured into it. there are a few things i miss from botw but honestly botw's gotta have something to its name still lmao

do agree with matts thoughts. spot on.

also there is something i accidentally learnt when going back on social media...

early game spoilers

• Matthew likes this

#40 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:57 AM

You know, as much as some plot details don't add up with the rest of the series, even considering their tendency for prioritizing gameplay over story, I do find myself reigniting an old passion I haven't felt since... well, before Hyrule Historia. In my mind I know it ultimately doesn't matter and isn't worth worrying about, but in my heart, I've been enjoying trying to reason and reckon and reconcile these games with the rest of the franchise. HH destroyed timeline discussion by finalizing one, which was frankly a huge mistake on their part, but now I feel something similar again to that. It's nostalgic.

Now let's ignite a flame war and divide the forum against each other.

#41 BFeely

BFeely

• Members

Posted 06 August 2023 - 04:46 PM

I'm just excited about one major thing: They brought my boi, Gleeok back. FINALLY! IN 3D!!! Let's go!!!!!

EDIT: hahaha, page topper! It was meant to be! :D

Fire Gleeoks even.  And ice, lightning, and "King" with all three elements.

We also have Like Likes, with elemental and rock variants, thankfully they are now permanently attached to the terrain and cannot chase you.

And finally the Gibdo has been re-imaginied as a moth-like monster, with a pwerful queen.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#42 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 08 August 2023 - 04:50 AM

thankfully they are now permanently attached to the terrain and cannot chase you.

My thoughts exactly, haha

#43 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 05 September 2023 - 08:50 PM

I wanted to share some thoughts regarding the post-TOTK timeline.

My read is that the past of TOTK takes place shortly after Skyward Sword. After Ganondorf is sealed during the Imprisoning War, his seeping malice causes the events of many games in the series. The other Ganondorf incarnations share the soul of the OG from TOTK, but not his body. Eventually, BOTW/TOTK happen far into the future.

I find this explanation compelling and believe that it slots in very nicely with the overall continuity. Curious to hear the thoughts of others.

• Anthus likes this

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:49 PM

That's honestly the Occam's Razor of the situation, isn't it? I mean, it was a thought I'd had early on as well, but too many overlapping elements with OoT/SS made me question it. All this before I remembered that they never actually gave that much of a shit about the timeline and neither should I. *pulls curtain over the corkboard with all the images connected by strings and pins*

• Matthew likes this

#45 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 10 September 2023 - 04:43 PM

Old school zelda player point of view:

Exploring had a bit of continuity to it. New items led to new areas in most games. Items as keys, so to speak. There is almost no continuity to items in the game. Since you get 'powers' almost immediately, the other things you get are entirely extra and don't help much in terms of game progress. Essentially, the familiars are items, but we're missing cool stuff like hookshot, roc's feather, etc. 

When I got the game, I immediately jumped into the nearest gloom pit and started exploring the depths. Yes, this totally ignored the story and is completely cumbersome and unintended, but I viewed it as a swordless run type of thing. Finding majora's mask was kind of cool, but almost everything else down there was off-color trash outfits with tedious upgrade requirements. If I wanted to play final fantasy, I would. Zelda should be about getting rewarded for exploration and not grinding item quality. How hard would it have been to reward you with gear that made autobuild cheaper, or allowed the up gust like in botw, or give you a roc's feather cap that instills low-gravity. I mean, having 12 copies of a hat just doesn't cut it. Putting in 400 bubble frogs and 7000 koroks, and needing to gather material to build cool stuff just doesn't do it for me. 

The items that are in place are scattered in strange ways, across the world in no particular pattern. It is near impossible to complete an armor set on first playthrough, and planning dungeons is almost non-existent. It's also difficult to find monsters to even gather upgrade materials in any reasonable way. There's no smoothness. It's like you're playing a randomizer quest.

And why not even more enemies? The jumpy guys that explode int keese when you hit them with weak weapons, or doddongos (I mean, they gave lynels armor that you have to bomb off, but you can't put in a doddongo with the same feature?), manhandelas would've been sooo sick, or those snake things that rush at you? Imagine exploring the depths and having snakes flying at you out of the darkness... I want darknuts and pols voices. It could've been so dank.

Fun game if you don't go for completeness on any degree. Maybe I'm just old, because my kids love the game. They do all the side quests and stuff. We often build Link a little house and have fun putting rockets on it and flying around the world. I love the building mechanic, especially the minigame of supporting the signs. They did a great job of teaching static mechanics to kids in a unique way. We all sat together as I beat each temple and then we all fought ganon together. That was fantastic. Ultimately, I think I'll start fresh on some future holiday and have a great time on a minimal playthrough again, but there's no way I'd ever even begin to do all the things to 100%. They just seem arbitrary.

~PnW

• Matthew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users