The Big Contest/Event Request Thread

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#46 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

It sounds kinda cool a puzzle contest but I feel it may get stale quick.

I think that's why I made it a monthly thing. Plus, each month could have a different theme. Also, puzzles are an important part of any Zelda Classic quest, right? So I think they should deserve their own special contest. That's just me though, obviously.

Edited by SirKazuma, 28 April 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#47 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

I think limiting it to themes would appeal only to certain members each time around... better to be freewrite if you ask me

#48 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

Perhaps we can have puzzle styles too (block puzzle one month, floor-based puzzle the next, etc.).

• Rastael and alek like this

#49 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

I like the idea as well. It sounds pretty interesting! :D

#50 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Perhaps we can have puzzle styles too (block puzzle one month, floor-based puzzle the next, etc.).

That's a great idea! There are so many types of puzzles, this won't get boring. :D

• Avaro, David, alek and 1 other like this

#51 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

What about a contest where you must make a miniquest in 1 week using a certain challenge? For example, one week you have to make a 1 screen quest, in another, you have to make a tower, etc.

#52 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:31 AM

A mini quest in one week? That seems like a hard thing to accomplish, at least for me. Quests and miniquests take a while to make. For example, you know the two/three week quest contests? Well, they take that long for a reason. And they usually happen in times when people have free time, such as the summer.

Don't get me wrong; this is an excellent idea; it just that instead of being a quest a week, it should be a quest each month or something like that. :)

#53 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

2 weeks later contest. Didn't make the deadline for the 2 week quest contest? You now have an extra 2 weeks to finish and polish your quest. Did make the deadline? Polish your quest even more and face off against everybody else again, but with more people :P

#54 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

2 weeks later contest. Didn't make the deadline for the 2 week quest contest? You now have an extra 2 weeks to finish and polish your quest. Did make the deadline? Polish your quest even more and face off against everybody else again, but with more people :P

If I were to be honest, that kinda defeats the purpose of having a 2 week contest to begin with. I get that it would give an opportunity to those who couldn't make it in time for the original contest, but I don't think it would really be fair to those who worked hard for the first 2 weeks, just to end up having another two weeks.

The idea of the contest was for quests to be made in a short timeframe, not with extra time :P

• Shane likes this

#55 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

Say, reading through this thread, I still think Puzzle of the Month still has some potential. And to make it engaging, why not make it have a similar setup like Enemy of the Month? We have themes, we do a video showing them off, and we provide download links for people to play with and use. We could throw in themes and requirements if necessary. Themes could consist of "block puzzles", "floor puzzles", "enemy puzzles", "colour puzzles", etc. And people could vote for the most useful, creative and best overall.

I say it's worth a shot honestly. It would encourage the community to get together and make puzzles of all kinds, scripted and otherwise, and use them for our projects. If you read above, there seems to be some interest.

Edited by Shane, 16 August 2015 - 08:39 AM.

• Eddy and coolgamer012345 like this

#56 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Say, reading through this thread, I still think Puzzle of the Month still has some potential. And to make it engaging, why not make it have a similar setup like Enemy of the Month? We have themes, we do a video showing them off, and we provide download links for people to play with and use. We could throw in themes and requirements if necessary. Themes could consist of "block puzzles", "floor puzzles", "enemy puzzles", "colour puzzles", etc. And people could vote for the most useful, creative and best overall.

I say it's worth a shot honestly. It would encourage the community to get together and make puzzles of all kinds, scripted and otherwise, and use them for our projects. If you read above, there seems to be some interest.

I'm still interested in seeing this. I noticed it did get proposed already, and it's definitely getting some attention so I wouldn't mind seeing this happen.

• Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#57 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Banned

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:28 AM

Sorry to rip this thread from its eternal six-foot slumber (or maybe it was cremated?) but I was wondering if this was still a thing. Shane's Puzzle of the Month is a good idea, and I have my own Dungeon of the Month. If you guys are still making official spots for contests, I'd nominate both of these. I'm going to bed now.

• Shane and Jared like this

#58 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:36 PM

How about an event called "Let's rate loose tiles and music!" where a few randomly selected links to loose tiles and music submissions will be posted. And then everyone can make an effort to check those out and rate them, maybe even leave reviews. It wouldn't take much effort from anyone to just check out a couple graphics and music.

The benefit would be giving some old submissions attention and get more ratings. And who knows, maybe we'll find some obscure masterpieces? :)

Thinking it could be bi-weekly, about 10 loose tile and 5 music submissions. Maybe a priority to submissions with a lower amount of ratings.

• Shane, Jared and klop422 like this

#59 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:36 AM

I think in that case, one could also kinda reorder stuff?

Like make some simple categories (overworld/dungeon/enemies/sprites) + tileset (other/DoR/Classic/EZGBZ/...), pull submission out of the database, rename the pngs, add a textfile that adds the info for each png/submission and so on.

It's not the most beautiful idea, but over time could finally make loose tiles a lot easier to overlook.

#60 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

I feel like something PureZC is lacking through all its contests promoting project advertisement is a officially hosted quest contest itself. I know they've been a thing officially hosted in the past, so why not bring them back to encourage more activity? I honestly think these would be more exciting than a Superlative personally. Two week contests seem popular and always produce some of the most interesting quests.

The big problem ATM would be the official ZC contests going on, so I guess a good time has to be decided. But I think if there's enough interest prematurely, I think it might be something worth checking into? :)

• Avaro, Jenny, Jared and 5 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users