Photo

16x16 Minish Cap Link sprites (and NPCs eventually)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Will the NPC's have multiple animations? (up left down right ext) 

#17 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yep, most of them already have walking animations as well as multiple directions.

#18 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Well I did state in my first post that it is going to be based of the MC/FS Link and that I would base it off both those Link sprite sets. It's fine if you have no interest in them, I'm not making these to make you happy, I'm making them because they're something I want. If you don't offer any critique or constructive criticism other than the little you gave, then I won't be very willing to change them.

Here's an example of some 16x16 NPC, based of various characters in the Zelda series. I didn't 100% make the Vatti sprite; it's based off another persons 16x16 sprite, but I can't remember the creator though so if anyone knows that will be great.

newnpcswip.png

I apologize for my rudeness in my last post. While you did indeed say that Link would be based off of the shrunken down MC/FS Link, I didn't think of the degree. But, I've grown to like it more anyway. I think his arm swings are just a bit awkward on the side. In the top, his head look oddly shaped. While I understand you're trying to make it look like he's going forward, I just don't think it works well.

The NPC's are just....wow. Those are amazing in every way.Very, very good job!

Edited by Jared, 29 May 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#19 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

Personally, I think there's too much of a stylistic difference between the multiple directions. I love the style of the forward facing one, but when you turn the other directions it seems like he transforms into a different character entirely. From the back, the hips look too wide and the hair seems too prominent, with the hairline at the top looking strange and not in line with the front view. The side views suffer from a similar problem -- he just looks too chubby and not like the same character viewed from the front. I know you're using tiles from a different set, but the front view showed so much promise I think many of us were eagerly waiting to see the other angles that went with it. I've used the Four Swords link in my quest, and I like it just fine, but your forward sprites seemed very neat, clean, trim and cute. I know you said it's what you wanted for your own use, but if you're really looking to make Link tiles that will become "the new standard for Link sprites in DoR/MC styled quests," then I'd really encourage you to try to make your own side and back view sprites that are as high quality as the forward facing ones and match the front better.

And ... yeah. Your NPC's are looking great.

Edited by Aevin, 29 May 2013 - 11:49 PM.

• Jared likes this

#20 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

I apologize for my rudeness in my last post. While you did indeed say that Link would be based off of the shrunken down MC/FS Link, I didn't think of the degree. But, I've grown to like it more anyway. I think his arm swings are just a bit awkward on the side. In the top, his head look oddly shaped. While I understand you're trying to make it look like he's going forward, I just don't think it works well.

The NPC's are just....wow. Those are amazing in every way.Very, very good job!

Personally, I think there's too much of a stylistic difference between the multiple directions. I love the style of the forward facing one, but when you turn the other directions it seems like he transforms into a different character entirely. From the back, the hips look too wide and the hair seems too prominent, with the hairline at the top looking strange and not in line with the front view. The side views suffer from a similar problem -- he just looks too chubby and not like the same character viewed from the front. I know you're using tiles from a different set, but the front view showed so much promise I think many of us were eagerly waiting to see the other angles that went with it. I've used the Four Swords link in my quest, and I like it just fine, but your forward sprites seemed very neat, clean, trim and cute. I know you said it's what you wanted for your own use, but if you're really looking to make Link tiles that will become "the new standard for Link sprites in DoR/MC styled quests," then I'd really encourage you to try to make your own side and back view sprites that are as high quality as the forward facing ones and match the front better.

And ... yeah. Your NPC's are looking great.

Yeah you guys are right about the left/right side facing sprites. I loaded them into ZC and looked at them animating and they just looked like crap basically. I like the north facing sprites though, I have done edits to them so that they looks like they match with the forward facing sprites. I'll keep working on them though, as they don't indicate what the final version of the set will look like, I'd say I'm only 15% on the way to completing the set.

• Jared likes this

#21 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

Will you make the hat swing side to side on the north facing sprites? I always found the animation odd on the old FSA sprites.

#22 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Alright guys, I've updated the up facing sprite. I took some of your feedback on board and re-did the sprite almost completely, however sill taking some cues from the MC/FS link and this time making it look more in line with the downwards facing sprite I first made. I put my version and Warlocks version side by side for comparison, so you can see the differences.

mclinkwipx2.png

• Jared likes this

#23 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

Oh, wow, those look really nice! As for Sepulcher's hat-swinging suggestion ... I do agree with him, but it's really easy for quest makers to do that themselves if you prefer it this way.

#24 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Here, this is how you would go about Z3 animation.  

MCLinkSmall_zpsaaa07d36.png

MCLinkSmallUpAni_zpsafdc6b60.gif

• Supindahood and Jared like this

#25 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

I don't approve a animation of Link that spans over 4 tiles since enemies can only animate 4 tiles. But that's me. :P

#26 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Really?  The official LTTP, MC, FS and FSA games must've been killer for you then, because that's exactly what they did...though LTTP was worse in that regard, since the enemies only had two frames.

I'm sure with scripting you can have as many frames as you want...if not, then well, maybe your enemies just can't animate as smoothly as Link.

#27 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Here, this is how you would go about Z3 animation.  

MCLinkSmall_zpsaaa07d36.png

MCLinkSmallUpAni_zpsafdc6b60.gif

Awesome man, just awesome. Mind if I use these?

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Go for it, it's meant to help you~

#29 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Wow, the new up facing sprites are perfection! And well done on the Z3 animation, Koh. I actually forgot these were going to be Z3 animated. :P At least it gets rid of my hatred for the awkward not-standing up walking animation (When he's lunging forward).

Looking forward to more. I'm glad our suggestions are coming into play! It's bringing this Link to perfection!

#30 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Oh, no! Where'd the bottom of his shoes go?! *pet peeve #56873980.  Looks bizarre to me when pieces of outlines disappear in animations. Sorry, I liked the pre-Koh version better, but of course you can't please everyone ...

• Shane and Jared like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users